RasPi Display/touch PlugIn - some changes needed...

What you want to find in next Volumio release?

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby FFrank » Mon Feb 25 2019 09:13

Hi,
slowly my RasPi-Volumio player gets in the final stage.

I just added the official Raspberry PI Display. Great!
The touch-plugin works quite well. But some things are really disturbing an need a change.

- The backlight turns off after some minutes during play - this is great. I do not need it to listen to music...BUT:
If I want to activate it with a touch, this touch is registered not only as a wakeup touch but as a touch in the GUI...so quite often I select a different track (if the playbacklist is open) or change something else. Me personally could get used to it - just wake it up with a touch at the top left (the Volumio text)...but this is no solution for the rest of the family...
Is there a chance to change this behaviour? The first touch when backlight is off should not do anything except of bringing the light on again. Please change this!

- The orientation...I know it is easy to change by hand...but after a update...you know the story. Please put a switch in the settings menu of the plugin to rotate the view.

- I would really appreciate a way to change the intensity of the backlit...It would be OK in the settings menu of the plugin.

By the way: I know this is a free project. I am willing to put some work in it (sadly no skill in programming - but as a beta tester I would love to help). On the other hand the project is not "free" for me...I am a MyVolumio member...I need Tidal playback... :-)

Thanks for listening.

Fabian

PS: I know (and read) the long thread (official-raspberry-touch-screen-t4753.html) about the screen and plugin.But I thought it is quite old and maybe it is worth to start a discussion about this - hope this is OK.
Random avatar
FFrank
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby FFrank » Tue Feb 26 2019 07:46

Hm, any comment from the team?
I am willing to try something myself - but I need a start. Which script do I need to change etc.

Thanks.

Fabian
Random avatar
FFrank
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby michel8166 » Tue Feb 26 2019 10:46

FFrank wrote:Hm, any comment from the team?
I am willing to try something myself - but I need a start. Which script do I need to change etc.

Thanks.

Fabian

hello Fabian,
maybe you have to look at the links below ... maybe you can do something with it.

screentimeout-rpi-touchscreen-t5059.html

https://github.com/linusg/rpi-backlight ... ME.rst#api

guide-for-setting-touchscreen-backlight-control-t11425.html
raspberry pi 3b - allo isolator - kali reclocker, raspberry pi official 7-inch touch screen, Heed luna pre + Q-psu power supply, Sphinx project twelve mono blocks, Audio-GD NFB-1 (2015 ) Balanced Sabre Dac, Spendor Sp7/1 loudspeakers
michel8166
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby michel8166 » Tue Feb 26 2019 10:59

for the backlight brightness.

first install the volumio plugin for the touchscreen in the volumio plugin section.

ssh in volumio.
https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/SSH.html

and type the following commands.

first install python.
---------------------------
sudo apt-get install python-pip

install raspberry pi 7 inch touchscreen backlight.
-------------------------------------------------------
sudo pip install rpi_backlight

execute the code below , 80 stands for clarity ......
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sudo sh -c "echo 80 > /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness"
raspberry pi 3b - allo isolator - kali reclocker, raspberry pi official 7-inch touch screen, Heed luna pre + Q-psu power supply, Sphinx project twelve mono blocks, Audio-GD NFB-1 (2015 ) Balanced Sabre Dac, Spendor Sp7/1 loudspeakers
michel8166
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby FFrank » Tue Feb 26 2019 11:34

michel8166 wrote:for the backlight brightness.

That is nice - Thanks!!!

Works perfectly!
best.
Fabian
Random avatar
FFrank
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby michel8166 » Tue Feb 26 2019 12:23

f you want to change the accent colors to your own taste, take a look of the link there is a nice tutorial how you can do that ;)

http://theyellowsoundmachine.com/how-i- ... head-unit/

michel8166
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby maclake77 » Thu Mar 28 2019 15:30

FFrank wrote:If I want to activate it with a touch, this touch is registered not only as a wakeup touch but as a touch in the GUI...so quite often I select a different track (if the playbacklist is open) or change something else...

yes i run through the same issue and made the volume higher. absolutey not good!!!!!!!
have to be fixed like FFrank suggested.
If screensaver is on, the first touch should not be recognized as a touch in the GUI

would be nice if this yould be implemented
Random avatar
maclake77
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby FFrank » Tue Apr 30 2019 11:01

Could anybody from the team give some feedback here?
Thanks.

This is really annoying.

Best.
Fabian
Random avatar
FFrank
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby maclake77 » Fri May 17 2019 20:43

+1

yes very annoying and its time to implement an wake up touch for the screensaver that is not registered in the GUI :cry:
Random avatar
maclake77
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby gvolt » Fri May 17 2019 22:10

I'm currently working on extending the touch display plugin. While the request posted here https://forum.volumio.org/raspi-display-touch-plugin-some-changes-needed-t11840.html#p62098 will not be addressed it will presumably have the following features:

Options for screen saver will allow setting the timeout until the screen will be set to DPMS state "off" (no fancy graphics, pictures or the like). Further more it will be possible to block the screen saver as long as Volumio is in playing state.

For the Raspberry Foundation 7" touch screen the screen brightness can be set. Further more there will probably be an option for automatic brightness regulation in dependence of the ambience brightness which of course requires additional hardware (ambient light sensor).

For the Raspberry Foundation 7" touch screen there will be an option to rotate the display by 180°.

There will also be an option to set the visibility of the mouse pointer.

I think I'm pretty much done but will need some time testing and bug squashing before I will issue an PR on GitHub.

P.S. The issue of the plugin install process hanging in cases where keyboard-configure is infinitely waiting for a user response is also expected to be fixed.
Random avatar
gvolt
Audiophile
Audiophile

Next

Return to Suggest a feature