[PLUGIN] YouTube for Volumio

Discuss, contribute and orient Volumio development!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby arnold » Mon Jan 06 2020 23:58

Hello
Have the same problem youtube without code
Used volume 2,692
Have youtube uninstalled
Wanted to execute

$ volumio plugin update
$ volumio vrestart
$ volumio youtube plugin install
$ volumio vrestart

but no package found
come no farther
Random avatar
arnold
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby patrickkfkan » Tue Jan 07 2020 06:38

arnold wrote:Hello
Have the same problem youtube without code
Used volume 2,692
Have youtube uninstalled
Wanted to execute

$ volumio plugin update
$ volumio vrestart
$ volumio youtube plugin install
$ volumio vrestart

but no package found
come no farther

Did you actually download the attachment and unzip it before running 'volumio plugin install'?

1. Download latest unofficial plugin here: https://forum.volumio.org/youtube-for-volumio-t6608-230.html#p70392
2. Follow Instructions to to use it: https://forum.volumio.org/youtube-for-volumio-t6608-160.html#p68753
patrickkfkan
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby ilyuhas » Mon Jan 13 2020 11:54

The Youtube plugin is the worst. It seems to me easier to completely abandon it. As you don’t try to configure it, you will still face a lot of problems. Where else can you listen for free to quality music without problems? Spotify, Tidal?

2020-01-13_142214.jpg
2020-01-13_142214.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 498 times

2020-01-13_142252.jpg
2020-01-13_142252.jpg (425.34 KiB) Viewed 498 times

2020-01-13_121958.jpg
2020-01-13_121958.jpg (283.15 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Random avatar
ilyuhas
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby patrickkfkan » Mon Jan 13 2020 14:37

ilyuhas wrote:The Youtube plugin is the worst. It seems to me easier to completely abandon it. As you don’t try to configure it, you will still face a lot of problems. Where else can you listen for free to quality music without problems? Spotify, Tidal?

The official plugin (your second screenshot) is not working. The unofficial one which I put up here (your first screenshot) allows you to play YouTube streams provided you create your own Google API credentials. In hindsight, I should have removed the "Use Default" API keys option since I now really doubt Volumio will reinstate its original keys. If you do not want to create your API keys, then you would have to wait until Volumio releases a new official version of their YouTube plugin.

Due to API quota limits, I will not be incorporating my own keys into the unofficial plugin.
patrickkfkan
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby ilyuhas » Mon Jan 13 2020 16:14

The official plugin (your second screenshot) is not working. The unofficial one which I put up here (your first screenshot) allows you to play YouTube streams provided you create your own Google API credentials. In hindsight, I should have removed the "Use Default" API keys option since I now really doubt Volumio will reinstate its original keys. If you do not want to create your API keys, then you would have to wait until Volumio releases a new official version of their YouTube plugin.

Due to API quota limits, I will not be incorporating my own keys into the unofficial plugin.

Thank you. I think its very difficulty for me. I am stuck at step 7. Or maybe there are everything wrong. It would be cool to create an example with screenshots.

In fact, for me, Volumio became a stupid and not functional solution. I would put simple mpd on a clean operating system. Or even used an Internet browser to play music without all these crooked troubles.
Last edited by ilyuhas on Mon Jan 13 2020 18:36, edited 2 times in total.
Random avatar
ilyuhas
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby patrickkfkan » Mon Jan 13 2020 18:33

ilyuhas wrote:
Than you. I think its very differently for me. I am stuck at step 7. Or maybe he did everything wrong. It would be cool to create an example with screenshots.

In fact, for me, Volumio became a stupid and not functional solution. I would put simple mpd on a clean operating system. Or even used an Internet browser to play music without all these crooked troubles.

Perhaps you could tell me how you got stuck at step 7?

It seems to me that the Volumio team has lost momentum in the development of the software. Perhaps they are just busy with other things in life, but things would be much better if they could show up on the forums more frequently to address issues raised by the members. This is particularly so when some of the members are on a paid subscription or have bought their products.
patrickkfkan
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby qrumba » Wed Jan 15 2020 13:43

I downloaded the unofficial youtube plugin and followed the instructions to create an own API-Key and Client. Finaly I got a code for granting an access to my YouTube account. So I did, but the access is still not working! How can I see, if the access of Volumio to my YouTube account is working?
Attachments
youtube_plugin.jpg
youtube_plugin.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Keep listening!
q.
qrumba
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby DipterePow » Wed Jan 15 2020 22:07

qrumba wrote:I downloaded the unofficial youtube plugin and followed the instructions to create an own API-Key and Client. Finaly I got a code for granting an access to my YouTube account. So I did, but the access is still not working! How can I see, if the access of Volumio to my YouTube account is working?

You have not completely completed the setup. Go to http://www.google.com/device and paste the code you have just below (LGK-KWD-GFX).

You'll get this message:

Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.04.13.png
Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.04.13.png (26.92 KiB) Viewed 335 times

EDIT: And don't forget this in the patrickkfkan's step-by-step
Use the new Code for granting access to your YouTube account. The process is the same as with the official YouTube plugin. Note that you might get a "This app isn't verified" warning in the process. This is normal since you haven't gone through the Google verification step after creating the OAuth Client ID, but it is nonetheless safe to proceed by clicking 'Advanced' and 'Go to <your app name>'.
DipterePow
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby patrickkfkan » Thu Jan 16 2020 19:11

DipterePow wrote:
qrumba wrote:I downloaded the unofficial youtube plugin and followed the instructions to create an own API-Key and Client. Finaly I got a code for granting an access to my YouTube account. So I did, but the access is still not working! How can I see, if the access of Volumio to my YouTube account is working?

You have not completely completed the setup. Go to http://www.google.com/device and paste the code you have just below (LGK-KWD-GFX).

You'll get this message:

Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.04.13.png

EDIT: And don't forget this in the patrickkfkan's step-by-step
Use the new Code for granting access to your YouTube account. The process is the same as with the official YouTube plugin. Note that you might get a "This app isn't verified" warning in the process. This is normal since you haven't gone through the Google verification step after creating the OAuth Client ID, but it is nonetheless safe to proceed by clicking 'Advanced' and 'Go to <your app name>'.

DipterePow, thanks for helping qrumba! I would like to add that the code given could be different each time you enter the plugin settings, so be sure to get the newest code for authentication on www.google.com/device.

qrumba, don't reveal this code like you did in your post as it is tied to your API credentials.
patrickkfkan
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby qrumba » Fri Jan 17 2020 07:54

Thank You for your help! I did all steps as told and finally came to the screen where Ggl tells that my device is connected. But the YouTube plugin in Volumio still gets the errors as described earlier.
Following the link to see all apps connected with my account, Volumio does not show up. Maybe this is the wrong link, but I remember to see Volumio mentioned somewhere in my Ggl account, when the Volumio YouTube plugin was working correctly.
Keep listening!
q.
qrumba
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to Development talks