My Wooden Stand Alone Volumio

Hy everyone. This is my Volumio Project, a project that took me over two years from design to final realization.
The wooden case is made, like some Sonus Faber speaker models, with 26 different solid cherry panels, 2 and 3 cm thick. The panels, individually milled, are then glued together to form 3 distinct volumes, 2 on the sides for housing the speakers and a central one for the electronics. The side volumes also provide a small space for the separate housing of the crossovers. Everything was made by a skilled craftsman. The rear panel and the front panel with the wording “Volumio” were made by Schaeffer AG after careful design. Switching on takes place by pressing the right side of the front panel which flexes for about 1.5 mm. There are no visible switches.
Volumio runs on a Raspberry PI3 B +, the DAC is the Boss from Allo and in cascade there is the Allo Relay Attenuator. The monitor is the classic touch one of the Raspberry. An HD contains part of my music FLAC libraries to make everything work autonomously even without Wi-Fi or Ethernet connectivity.
From the output of the Relay Attenuator the signal arrives to two 180 W class D amplification modules from Hypex. For the power supply of these modules two Hypex dedicated boards have been used, while for the power supply of the Raspberry and the DAC there is a linear PSU from Audiphonics with an adequate toroidal transformer.
The amplified signal arrives at two 16 cm coaxial speakers of the SEAS (C16N001 / F) mounted in a closed volume of about 6 lt. through the two-way crossover built on a design by the parent company.
It was challenging to bring together all the electronics in little room dedicated to them and some attention was paid to the cooling of everything. The bottom is closed by a suitably perforated panel; a very silent PC fan exchanges the air inside the case, while a Fischer Elektronik aluminum profile tunnel with fan cools the Hypex and the PSU on which they are fixed. A further small fan moves the air near the Raspberry. All fans have speed controlled by temperature.
All this sounds rather appreciable, with adequate punch and unexpected spatiality despite the proximity of the two speakers.
I’m rather satisfied with the result that I consider appropriate to soundproof a living room with simplicity and elegance, without High End obsessions but with the sole desire to easily enjoy your favorite music. I hope the project will be interesting.
The result.jpg
Rear panel.JPG
Assembling 9.jpg

1 Like

Nice, is an interesting project!

This setup is pretty impressive ! The wood case seems pretty slick and its great that it hides all the technical parts of the setup from the eyes of everyone. Definitely a nice job !

How did you do the labels on the back plate?

https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/
They did it.

Many thanks for you opinion

https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/
They did it.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your opinion