Wolfson Audio card with Volumio

Volumio portings supported by community members

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Re: Wolfson Audio card with Volumio

Postby tyres2 » Fri Jun 13 2014 01:18

wickerrobot wrote:Some people have mentioned that the main default volume coming from the Wolfson card can be adjusted. I've tried doing some research to figure out how to do this, but I cannot figure it out. I would love to raise the volume just a little bit. How would I go about doing this? Also, can adjusting the default volume hurt sound quality? I only want to raise it a tiny bit. Again, thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer.

That sounds like you need to run the 'alsamixer' command while logged into the Pi. That gives you a semi-graphical interface for managing the volume level of your outputs. Once adjusted it stays there. You use the up and down arrow keys while in 'alsamixer' to adjust the volume level of a given output, and the left and right arrow keys move from one output to another. The 'Esc' keys exits out of 'alsamixer', but your adjustments remain. There are also function key commands for various things, which are explained in the interface.

I think generally people suggest raising it to about 82. Raising it higher and you go into the 'red' area in the alsamixer interface, which I guess may introduce some distortions, or potentially even damage equipment (speakers).
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby gswg » Fri Jun 13 2014 10:37

Alsa volume range is directly linked to the card's linux driver and what the driver exposes. Each card's driver will do things differently and each DAC will have a different "internal" volume range.

For the IQaudIO.com Pi-DAC the PCM5122 DAC has a vast range but I have limited the usable range within the linux driver to -103.5db to +4db (0 to 100 in alsamixer).

0db corresponds to 2vRMS output (top end of green in Alsamixer). Going into the red is okay and may be needed for especially quietly recorded tracks. I considered giving even greater ability to push this further but felt compelled to limit the output for audio quality.

Other card's drivers may be completely different, and IIRC the Wolfson chip used is a 1vRMS output or thereabouts.

Best regards,

Gordon@IQaudIO.com

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 11.30.58.png
IQaudIO.com Pi-DAC Alsamixer volume (0db = 2vRMS)
Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 11.30.58.png (63.98 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 11.31.08.png
IQaudIO.com Pi-DAC Alsamixer volume (100% = +4db)
Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 11.31.08.png (63.77 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Random avatar
gswg
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby tyres2 » Fri Jun 13 2014 12:17

Thanks Gordon. I do have a Wolfson Audio card myself, so what I said is relevant to the Wolfson card specifically. The levels I said seem to work pretty well for me. But useful to know what the general technical background is. You've obviously got a much better grasp of the technicalities than I do!
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby gswg » Fri Jun 13 2014 14:34

Sorry, didn't want to stamp on anyone's toes - just wanted to post some "insight" - We have had a few people question 100% on card A vs 100% on card B :-)
Random avatar
gswg
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby tyres2 » Sat Jun 14 2014 13:21

gswg wrote:Sorry, didn't want to stamp on anyone's toes - just wanted to post some "insight" - We have had a few people question 100% on card A vs 100% on card B :-)

No problem. My toes remain unstamped :-) Useful contribution. As I say, you obviously know your stuff, being in the hifi business.
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby pmiller056 » Mon Jun 16 2014 22:16

Hi

I'm a bit of a newbie with Linux, so I can find my way around the basics....

I would like to use my Wolfson Audio card with my Raspberry Pi. I've got the new 1.4 version of Volumio installed and working correctly. It works well with HDMI audio, so the system basically works. How do I get the Wolfson card to work with Volumio 1.4?

I guessing that the Wolfson Drivers are missing from the stock 1.4 download. Can I download some extra files and put them in the correct place and update some configuration files in the Volumio filesystem (which I can probably do), or I need to get and compile sources (probably beyond my current skill level) to make the Wolfson card work?

(original post edited for clarity)

Thanks

Peter
Random avatar
pmiller056
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby tyres2 » Tue Jun 17 2014 14:33

The Wolfson card needs the Wolfson drivers to work, and they are not included in the stock Volumio distribution.

A couple of guys in this forum topic have provided Volumio images with the Wolfson drivers compiled into the kernel, but I think they were for Volumio 1.3.

I don't know if anybody has yet provided an image for Volumio 1.4 with the Wolfson drivers compiled into the kernel.
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby pmiller056 » Thu Jun 19 2014 10:53

Thank you for your reply. Recompiling with drivers included from a different source is currently beyond my abilities.

Regards

Peter
Random avatar
pmiller056
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby maestroji » Thu Jun 19 2014 13:21

Peter,

You may like to check this out :

https://mega.co.nz/#!KxhFTJza!L5XYBkyJh ... Ky6W_S4wBc
Random avatar
maestroji
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby philaudio » Fri Jun 20 2014 09:54

maestroji wrote:Peter,

You may like to check this out :

https://mega.co.nz/#!KxhFTJza!L5XYBkyJh ... Ky6W_S4wBc
Doesn't work. Decryption key isn't accepted.
Random avatar
philaudio
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

PreviousNext

Return to Community portings