Wolfson Audio card with Volumio

Volumio portings supported by community members

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Re: Wolfson Audio card with Volumio

Postby buzzny » Fri Jun 06 2014 18:37

SiB wrote:Ok here is my image https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yx2ecf00dkndsl/volumio1.3_with_wolfson.zip you need a 4Gb card

*****update***** apparently dropbox have suspended this link because it was generating too much traffic!!!
I'll post it on Google later unless anyone has a better idea**********

Now also available on Mega (I hope ;-)

https://mega.co.nz/#!KxhFTJza!L5XYBkyJh ... Ky6W_S4wBc

As the name implies its a volumio 1.3 with the wolfson drivers compiled into the kernel, ive left all the make files and the old kernel in place

I've run the wolfson script to output to headphone socket and the SPDIF (I think I did that before I took the .img) anyway the scripts are in the volumio dir to switch on what you need.

it should come straight up and be able to play radio, I've not had much luck configuring the NAS through the web ui (it hangs) so I just edit fstab as I need it. I think it works but if you get it wrong and get an error its had it!

There is also a BBC.sh which adds the BBC stations to the radio but does not continue to work across re-boot (its a BBC thing!) just re-run it, got the script off the web somewhere so sorry but cant credit the 'smarter than me guy' that wrote it....sorry.

BTW this image also works on a Pi without the Wolfson but you have to force the audio through the PI headphone socket (or HDMI) using raspi-config

Enjoy

SiB

I was thinking that this had it already together as one package. So, I do need to add the Wolfson kernels then.
Random avatar
buzzny
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby tyres2 » Fri Jun 06 2014 22:51

Well, if you are using that it should work, as that apparently has the Wolfson drivers built into it. The standard Volumio distribution doesn't.

The green output is the SPDIF, right? In his post SIB says he 'thinks' he ran the use-case script to output to SPDIF. Maybe he didn't? If you can locate the use-case scripts you could try running the 'SPDIF_playback.sh' script.

Alternatively try the other image that somebody here in this forum topic has made available.
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby SiB » Sat Jun 07 2014 11:38

Guess I didn't run it before I took the .img... sorry. However I use the SPDIF on this image in my set-up and it works fine, as tyres2 says run the Wolfson script (id recommend a re-boot) and it should all work.

The scripts are in /home/pi i believe

****edit****

I just checked and the green one is Line-out I didn't enable that one as I tested it with the headphone out and use the SPDIF so you need to run Playback_to_lineout.sh which is also in /home/pi.

These scripts are cumulative so no harm in enabling all that you might need.

Try the headphone socket first (black on Wolfson) it should just work

Cheers

SiB
Random avatar
SiB
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby tyres2 » Sat Jun 07 2014 13:55

SiB wrote:I just checked and the green one is Line-out I didn't enable that one as I tested it with the headphone out and use the SPDIF so you need to run Playback_to_lineout.sh which is also in /home/pi SiB

Ah, right. Sorry, got that wrong then! That's presumably why it didn't work, if line-out wasn't enabled.
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby wickerrobot » Sun Jun 08 2014 19:46

I am super inexperienced with linux and everything raspberry pi. I purchased a pi and the Wolfson DAC as a kind of starter project. Using your image above I have been able to actually get Volumio up and running. I have one question though. The music is only coming out of the headphone jack. How do I enable the green line-out on the DAC? Please go easy on me. I am really inexperienced and new at doing this kind of thing. Thanks in advance to any hero out there willing to help me with a step-by-step.
Random avatar
wickerrobot
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby tyres2 » Mon Jun 09 2014 16:17

If you read SIB's post a couple of messages above yours, you'll see he says that line-out is not enabled in his image (if that's the one you are using).

To enable it, as he says in his post, you need to run the 'Playback_to_lineout.sh' script, which as he said is in /home/pi

That means you need to connect to the Pi via SSH, i.e. command-line access over the network. From a Linux operating system you'd use the 'ssh' command to do that. If you are on Windows (on your main computer) you'd probably need to use the Putty program, which is freely available.
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby Saulty » Tue Jun 10 2014 04:48

Got it working and the scripts work great. You can even play with the default volume.
Question, where are the scripts initially being run from during startup? I'd like to add the additional script for line_out in the same place. I didn't see anywhere in the /etc/init.d directory that they were being launched.
Random avatar
Saulty
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby maestroji » Tue Jun 10 2014 07:41

It seems that the current two patched Volumios are using Volumio Beta 1.2 and Volumio Beta 1.3.

This of course makes sense to keep up with development of Volumio.

However I would like to know whether there are any perceptible differences in quality using a patched Volumio 1.1 with Wolfson Audio Card to output music.

Thank you.
Random avatar
maestroji
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby tyres2 » Tue Jun 10 2014 10:41

Saulty wrote:Got it working and the scripts work great. You can even play with the default volume.
Question, where are the scripts initially being run from during startup? I'd like to add the additional script for line_out in the same place. I didn't see anywhere in the /etc/init.d directory that they were being launched.

Could be wrong, but I don't think the scripts are run at boot-time. I think they are just a once-only thing, run by the user.

You could ask over in the Wolfson forum over on Element14, there are some knowlegeable guys over there,.

http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... wolfson_pi
Random avatar
tyres2
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby wickerrobot » Thu Jun 12 2014 17:04

Thank you for your help with changing the output. I'm so new to this, that I had to learn how to browse folders and list contents and run scripts from terminal. I successfully changed the output to line out. Now I have one more question. Some people have mentioned that the main default volume coming from the Wolfson card can be adjusted. I've tried doing some research to figure out how to do this, but I cannot figure it out. I would love to raise the volume just a little bit. How would I go about doing this? Also, can adjusting the default volume hurt sound quality? I only want to raise it a tiny bit. Again, thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer.
Random avatar
wickerrobot
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to Community portings