wifi / wlan issue with Volumio 2.773-2020-05-05

I’ve downloaded volumio-2.773-2020-05-05-pi.img.zip for my RaspBerry Pi 3 , installed it on SG card and started Volumio. With ethernet connections everything is working perfect, but WLAn / WiFi won’t start. Even if I configure the wireless networking settings, I get the information that wireless network was successful configured and network new started, there is no wifi / network connections. On command line ifconfig does not show any IP address. I also checked the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf without finding issues.

And I can start manually the wlan connection:

root@volumio2:~# wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
wlan0: Trying to associate with SSID ‘h0mebas3 slow’
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00 status_code=16
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00 status_code=16
wlan0: Associated with 5c:49:79:53:67:93
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-REGDOM-CHANGE init=COUNTRY_IE type=COUNTRY alpha2=DE
wlan0: WPA: Key negotiation completed with 5c:49:79:53:67:93 [PTK=CCMP GTK=TKIP]
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 5c:49:79:53:67:93 completed [id=0 id_str=]

I’ve uploaded the log file : logs.volumio.org/volumio/FvFT1IH.html
Device Unique Identification Code: 9c2407cd2f3c73791f190539fd401f01

Regards
Ralf

are you using onboard WiFi or an external USB dongle?

I am using onboard wifi

Dear all,
since last volumio update a few days ago I cannot access volumio UI both via WIFI and LAN - now I cannot listen to music. Obviously there is a bug
I would like to avoid reflashing the SD card and installing new Volumio image. I assume it is possible to kind restart the Volumio system Or launch Backup version via terminal window/session.
As I am not really knowledgeable about IT - could you please advise how to do it? I should enter a “specific code” when the terminal session opens.
Please advise.
Thank you,

I checked the wifi of my RaspBerryPi by booting a new “Raspberry Pi OS” fresh downloaded from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and surprising: Wifi (with interface wlan0) starts pretty out of the box! After all I downloaded the newest version of Volumio (current 2.777 - image file volumio-2.777-2020-05-25-pi.img.zip) put it on the SD card and started Volumio from scratch. And: The same issue: wifi / wlan does not work, O get always the same error:

May 30 19:00:57 volumio2 wpa_supplicant[732]: wlan0: Failed to initiate sched scan
May 30 19:01:03 volumio2 wpa_supplicant[732]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-REENABLED id=0 ssid=“MySSID”
May 30 19:01:03 volumio2 wpa_supplicant[732]: wlan0: Trying to associate with SSID ‘MySSID’
May 30 19:01:04 volumio2 wpa_supplicant[732]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00 status_code=16
May 30 19:01:04 volumio2 wpa_supplicant[732]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid=“MySSID” auth_failures=7 duration=90 reason=CONN_FAILED

I found an older posting: Can't find my WLAN with similar issues and the same wlan router (Fritzbox). I’m starting to suspect that somehow Volumio has wifi issues with Fritzbox routers?

I’ve created a new debug output: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/u3R66sC.html

And I am wondering since I’m also running an older Volumio version without any wifi issues (with the same Raspberry Pi Model)

Is your ssid really ‘h0mebas3 slow’ with a space? If so, I would try renaming it (without spaces).

sure, it is with a space. But why does it work with Raspberry Pi OS (Rasbian) or older Volumio version? I don’t really want to change it, because I have too many other wifi devices which I have to change them also.

I have downloaded build 2.777 for the Tinkerpad yesterday and the first setup wizard was unable to list my wifi networks as usual, actually none was listed, also the ones of my neighborhood were missing.
I stayed with the Volumio local wifi network and used the box for a bit, listed to some music, and then I have run the wizard again. Also this time, the list of wifi networks came empty. Then I have tried something different, going forth and back in the page of the wizard and finally in the network page the list of available wifi networks appeared, I could successfully select the home network.

So three points to note here:

• This is happening on different hardware than the poster
  • The problem is not router dependent, as all the surrounding networks were not listed, moreover mine is not a Fritzbox (I have a Linksys E4200 router)
  • It eventually worked, it might be the result of multiple trials, timing issues, who knows.

Well it was a suggestion to try and nail down the problem (it is well documented that using spaces may lead to problems). If it can be ruled out then no need to waste any more time following that route of investigation.

Thanks for your suggestion. I also thought about this, but since I found some older postings (around 2011) in some Linux/Ubuntu news groups, that spaces (or other non standard signs) can cause issues my thought was that this should be fixed.

But I will try again more testing/debugging tomorrow.

I’m having similar issues, but I also have another raspberry pi on my network without problems for over a year. My SSID name is D-link, shouldn’t be a problem with regards to the name. However I do recall some configuration file in relation to wpa_supliciant being modified, buggered if I can remember now.

Pretty sure it’s to do with the password needing to be written in a file. Anyway I’m stuck with this, same problem with moode.

I run headless as I don’t have a spare keyboard.

I’ve got it running :slight_smile: I followed the instructions from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wpa_supplicant (I am connected to the box via ethernet and SSH). With the wpa_cli tool I created a new /etc/wpa/wpa_supplicant.conf file and with this my Volumio connects now to my WLAN.

Here is the orginal wpa_supplicant.conf created by Volumio:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
scan_ssid=1
ssid=“h0mebas3 slow”
psk=0620f5a477badec26b1c428c51de413783f0bb7a295e8408e8dad985a32a45d8
priority=1
}

And this is the the working wpa_supplicant.conf created by wpa_cli:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=DE
network={
ssid=“h0mebas3 slow”
psk=“myPSK.1234”
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Volumio uses the command wpa_passphrase to generate from an ASCII passphrase and SSID a 256-bit PSK. And this seems somehow not to work. I don’t know, if this is an issue of the wpa_suplicant packet or of Volumio.

I stripped my wpa_supplicant.conf now to this working version:

update_config=1
country=DE
network={
ssid=“h0mebas3 slow”
psk=0620f5a477badec26b1c428c51de413783f0bb7a295e8408e8dad985a32a45d8
}

But this works only if I manually start wpa_supplicant, but did not start wlan after a reboot.

Only this version works for me also after a reboot:

update_config=1
country=DE
network={
ssid=“h0mebas3 slow”
psk=“myPSK.1234”
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Hope this helps.

Just some short update: I had to change my Wifi Router FritzBox to another Fritzbox model. And for that change I had to manually configure my existing WLan settings (export/import settings worked except for WLAN settings). After this I build a new RaspBerry Pi with fresh Volumio. With this one the WiFi setup worked without any issues. So I assume that something weird was in the WLAN setup of my origin FritzBox

Well, that’s funny. Because I wanted to give you the very same advice before I’ve found your last comment. I had a similar problem two months ago and solved it the same way.

Update: I’ve read about this stuff on the internet, now I know more about it. In this case buying a new one really is the only option. BTW, I even asked my brother for help. He’s a Cisco certified engineer (he obtained certification on this https://cciedump.spoto.net/ site a half of a year ago) and he told me that my router wasn’t comparable with Volumio. A very simple solution, but it actually works. Too bad that Volumio can’t work with any equipment.

Just some note from me: In my opinion it wasn’t Volumio which was comparable with my router. It was the underlaying Linux implementation for the wifi network wpa_supplicant, which had issues with some of my wifi settings. I bet, when I would have deleted the wifi settings of my old router and created it new from scratch, Volumio and wpa_supplicant would also work. But since I had the new router already bought, this was the easiest way for me. I must admit that I was a little bit too lazy to do more debugging with my old router :slight_smile: