No wifi connection or hotspot after July26 update

I have a Pi Zero W with Hifiberry DAC

Updated Volumio from the webUI and restarted.

No start-up noise or reconnection to wifi.

No Volumio hotspot.

Re-flashed SD card with updated Volumio to no avail.

Still no hotspot. I do not have a ethernet adapter at the moment.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi,
I have the same problem with a Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Kali and Piano. Moreover even the ethernet does not work. I am quite disappointed, it’s not the first time that my raspberry stop working after an update. Any idea ? Thank you
Matteo

This time it sems to be more serious:
Here is the story:

The system (Raspberry, Kali, Piano) is on and has the last-1 version of Volumio up and running (I use this config since a couple of years). I launch the update and the system stop working: no lan, no hotsopt, no wifi, no video. I download a fresh IMG and flash a new card. The system starts and tell me that an undervoltage is detected (I have the specific power supply from Allo). Uh !!! Using another power supply with the new card it starts, Using the older card it does not start.

Wow.

Matteo

I’m seeing the same problem with a RPi 3 based player. Ran the update today, my browser kept spinning. Let it run for 2 hours, then power-cycled the Pi. Nothing. Can’t ssh into it.

Me too. Pi Zeo W. Mini Boss DAC. Wont boot after latest software update.

Yup. Dead as a doornail. (RaspPi 3B with an ethernet connection.)

A little late for me, but this Release should be pulled.

Same problem after July update with my PI ZERO W and HifiBerry DAC.
Green system light is permanently on, but system do not start.
No start sound, no wlan, no hotspot, changed charger allready back to origin - same issue. :frowning:

Ah, I thought I was crazy. My Pi Zero was unresponsive after the OTA update as well.

I reflashed everything to try again to no avail.

I did put the same micro-SD card in my Raspberry Pi 3B and voila! I had a hotspot I could configure. I put it back in the Pi Zero. Dead. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

I downloaded an older image and it’s back working…

Have the same problem with my Raspberry Pi 2 with IQaudio PI-DAC+.
Initially thought the micro sd had died, but I have no issues accessing and writing to it when I plug it into my computer.

Edit: I have managed to sucessfully rollback my installation to 2.587!
On the micro-sd card there are 3 partitions. There is the fat32 partition for booting, the volumio partiition (with tarred kernels and sqsh file system) and volumio_data (containing any filesystem changes, like configs and additional software).
To rollback my installation, I deleted “kernel_current.tar” and “volumio_current.sqsh” files and copied and renamed the “kernel_fallback.tar” and “volumio_current.sqsh” files to current. I then extracted the contents of “kernel_current.tar” into the fat32 boot partition but kept the config.txt and cmdline.txt files that I already had (as they were customised).
When I put the microSD back into the Pi and turned it on, it booted back up into Volumio with no issues.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven’t had time to look into it much, planning to today or tomorrow. Its widespread enough that hopefully the issue can be remedied quickly though.

I have the same problem with a Raspberry Pi 3. Nothing unusual about my configuration afaik (unless using wired LAN is “unusual”). I’m planning to connect via a serial console when I get a chance later tonight to see if I can figure out what happened.

Either way, I agree with others that this release should be pulled. Something like this doesn’t exactly instill a lot of confidence in Volumio for those of us who have been considering upgrading to one of the premium Volumio services.

Anybody know the link to the previous version (2.587) ?

There are a lotta people who would like to reflash their RPi to a version that’ll actually boot.

I think that what you need is updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip.

It took me a little while to work out this URL after my Raspberry Pi Zero installation also failed to start after the update.

It would be helpful to have the URLs to old versions listed somewhere.

When I connected HDMI to see the boot output, I saw the same “mod probe: can’t change directory to ‘4.19.60+’: No such file or directory” message that others have reported.

I’m using a raspberry pi 2 with a HiFiBerry DAC+ pro and wired ethernet for network connection.

I just tried booting with a freshly flashed microsd card and got the same message at boot-up.

From this, I have to assume this isn’t just an upgrade glitch and that the volumio team simply never tested this release with a raspberry pi 2. It seems fairly irresponsible to me that they haven’t even mentioned this on the blog announcement of the new release.

We have reports from PiZero, Pi3 and Pi3B users as well. So I’d hazard a guess that “doesn’t work on (any) Raspberry Pi” is more accurate.

From the error message, it sounds like a screwup in their build script (failure to create the relevant directory) which, yeah, even the most cursory of testing would have revealed.

Update:

As I said, I flashed a new card with the July 26 release. It works. but only with FLAC files, MP3 do not work, just noise out of speakers.

RPi 3
Allo Kali
Allo Piano 2.1

Thanks
Matteo

Thanks so much @AndrewJB this totally worked for me. Raspberry Pi 3 with HiFIBerry.

Edit: I have managed to sucessfully rollback my installation to 2.587!
On the micro-sd card there are 3 partitions. There is the fat32 partition for booting, the volumio partiition (with tarred kernels and sqsh file system) and volumio_data (containing any filesystem changes, like configs and additional software).
To rollback my installation, I deleted “kernel_current.tar” and “volumio_current.sqsh” files and copied and renamed the “kernel_fallback.tar” and “volumio_current.sqsh” files to current. I then extracted the contents of “kernel_current.tar” into the fat32 boot partition but kept the config.txt and cmdline.txt files that I already had (as they were customised).
When I put the microSD back into the Pi and turned it on, it booted back up into Volumio with no issues.

Final update: the reflashed 2.587 works, but i forgotten to appliy the old trick about the resampling to 32 bit.
Sorry guys, I am a little bit disappointed because just a couple of days ago also Microsoft update freezed me a PC (for the second time in 6 months). Thank you all for the support and the great product.
Bye
Matteo

Im having the same problem, one device with RP3 with IQAudio amp is OK, 3 other devices all PiZero with IQ audio and other dacs wont boot, why is this not top priority for Volumio to sort out, sounds like its Affecting lots of people, come on admin lets have some sort of response