Volumio2 stereo to binaural filter plugin

Hi,
If you often listen your music with a headphone, this plugin may interest you.
Based on bs2b-ladspa plugin, it provides a stereophonic to binaural filtering.
In the setting, you can change value for frequency and attenuation of the plugin.
More info on how it works : bs2b.sourceforge.net/

To install, just download github.com/balbuze/volumio-plug … filter.zip
and drop it in the plugin install page of volumio.
Enable it and it’s done !

It is a beta version and may not work as expected.
Feedbacks welcome !

github : github.com/balbuze/volumio-plug … auerfilter

bauer.png

Hi balbuze,

I tried the plugin and the installation went well (final message “Plugin Successfully Installed”). Right after the installation it looked a bit strange in the plugin view.

3_Plugin_view after installation.jpg
After refreshing the site the right plugin name showed up.

So I activated the plugin and played something - but got no sound. The audio setting had changed.

5_audio device settings.jpg
I changed it back to its original state (I2S DAC = “on” and “HifiBerry Digi”) and the sound was back. Lateron I deactivated the plugin and there was no sound once again - because the audio setting had changed again.

As I use VOLUMIO with headphones and speakers alternately it would be good to have an on/off switch in the playback view.

Cheers
Pirx

Hi,
The first screenshot shows a bug in volumio. When a new plugin is installed, the list is not properly refreshed. You have to refresh the page in your browser.
The second shows something as expected. When you enable the plugin, it reconfigures volumio to use a new output device. You can see Hifiberry Digi through volbinaural plugin. Don’t try to change this or volume mixer control. The plugin saved previous value and use it.
In order to use it:

• have well working volumio config (output and volume mixer)
  • install the plugin
  • enable it and wait about 15 seonds
  • play something.
    If no sound don’t try to change settings, reboot and retest with a track.
    I must admit I can’t test with hifiberry digi.
    Let me know.
    have a look at “sudo journalctl -f” when you enable the plugin to see if something goes wrong.
    Let me know.

Hi,
I just uploaded a new version with a switch to enable/ disable filter “on the fly” in the plugin settings :smiley:

github.com/balbuze/volumio-plug … filter.zip

Hi balbuze,

I have set it up again following your instructions exactly and there were sound. Yeah !

But after a reboot lateron - sorry to say - there was no sound anymore. Volumio itself works, plays the songs in the queue as usual. No error message appears. The plugin ist still activated. The sound settings have not changed.

A second reboot did not change anything. It’s still the same story. I can replay a song - but got no sound at the output.

The enigmatic thing is … the sound at startup I can still hear … but no music.

Cheers
Pirx

hi,
To help debugging, can precise

• the device (rpi b,rpi2,rpi3,rpi0)
  • the version of volumio
  • if you use a other plugin

can you check, using ssh what returns

systemctl status volbinauralfilter

if not running

systemctl start volbinauralfilter and play a track

you check what happens when volumio is starting

killall node && sudo journalctl -f

Hi balbuze,

here is my report.

hardware : rpi3 & HifiBerry Digi
software : Volumio 2.323
plugins : GPIO Buttons

Todays test results:
Volumio booted -> same as before: startup sound = yes / music = no

Opened ssh ->

volumio@volumio:~$ systemctl status volbinauralfilter -l
? volbinauralfilter.service - alsaloop for volbinauralfilter
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/volbinauralfilter.service; disabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Wed 2017-11-22 18:47:08 UTC; 15min ago
Process: 1097 ExecStart=/usr/bin/alsaloop -C plughw:Loopback,1 -P outbauer -t 8000 0 -w 500 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 1097 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio volumio[1097]: Loopback initialization failure.
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: volbinauralfilter.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: Unit volbinauralfilter.service entered failed state.
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: volbinauralfilter.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: Stopping alsaloop for volbinauralfilter…
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: Starting alsaloop for volbinauralfilter…
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: volbinauralfilter.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: Failed to start alsaloop for volbinauralfilter.
Nov 22 18:47:08 volumio systemd[1]: Unit volbinauralfilter.service entered failed state.

Because it was obviously not running ->

volumio@volumio:~$ systemctl start volbinauralfilter
volumio@volumio:~$ systemctl status volbinauralfilter -l
? volbinauralfilter.service - alsaloop for volbinauralfilter
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/volbinauralfilter.service; disabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Wed 2017-11-22 19:05:38 UTC; 12s ago
Process: 2373 ExecStart=/usr/bin/alsaloop -C plughw:Loopback,1 -P outbauer -t 80000 -w 500 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 2373 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: volbinauralfilter.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: Unit volbinauralfilter.service entered failed state.
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: volbinauralfilter.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: Stopping alsaloop for volbinauralfilter…
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: Starting alsaloop for volbinauralfilter…
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: volbinauralfilter.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: Failed to start alsaloop for volbinauralfilter.
Nov 22 19:05:38 volumio systemd[1]: Unit volbinauralfilter.service entered failed state.

Although I played a track -> no sound

Please find attached the log about the start of Volumio (zipped because the forum software did not allow .txt and .log files)

Cheers
Pirx
Volumio log.zip (4.56 KB)

thanks ! I’ll have a look at the zip.
Waiting, can you do in ssh

alsaloop -C plughw:Loopback,1 -P outbauer -t 8000 0 -w 500

I suspect a “device or ressource busy”…

The response is not as expected :

volumio@volumio:~$ alsaloop -C plughw:Loopback,1 -P outbauer -t 8000 0 -w 500
ALSA lib pcm_ladspa.c:1509:(snd_pcm_ladspa_add_plugin) Unable to find or load plugin ‘bs2b’ ID 0, path ‘/usr/lib/ladspa’
playback outbauer open error: No such file or directory
Loopback initialization failure.

Cheers
Pirx

hi!
do you use the last version of the plugin ? version 0.0.2
try this and reboot :

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -y install bs2b-ladspa

Hi balbuze,

I think I found the problem. For the plugin installation web access is needed, right ?

Having a look at the installation log I saw that Volumio tried to access the web. Although there was no web connection the final message was “Installation Successful”. That was misleading.

Now after the installation with web connection it works well even after a reboot.

It sounds more differently than I expected. So far I’m not sure whether this is an improvement or not. That will take some more listening …

Do you have any suggestions how to set the adjustments ?

Cheers
Pirx

Hi!
Good if it is working as expected ! It requires a web connection to download some package (bs2b).
For the setting, not easy to answers.
You can read this : bs2b.sourceforge.net/
If you can understand french : hyperradio.radiofrance.fr/foncti … inaural-2/

I have a problem with the plugin (raspberry pi 2, 502DAC pro (uses the HifiBerry Digi+ pro configuration)). The logging output when I enable the plugin is as follows:

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Adrian.

Salve come si installa precisamente non ho capito bene,io ho la versione volumio 3

First, in English! Thanks
Second, this thread is obsolete. For Volumio3 install Fusiondsp!
In parametric mode, yoou’ll find :

Tanks