Volumio USB Network Drive

Hallo, i have recently bought an raspberry pi 3B+ and Khadas Tone Board to use as my network player and DAC. Since both are placed behind my central speaker in my tv table, it is difficult to access the USB each time i want to upload new music. So i decide to share the USB over network so i can do everything from my windows laptop/computer. I also found the list of commands i need to use for this to happen.

Edit smb.conf:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Add following lines:

[usb]
comment = usb
path = /media
read only = no
guest ok = yes

Access it from: \VOLUMIO\usb

The problem occurs when i try to connect to the USB drive. I simply cant, its as if the network path dose not exist. Any suggestions to what i could have messed up or didnt do?

Edit: I am using the newest Volumio version
1.PNG

Well for a start there is already a Volumio share called ‘USB’. Not sure of the effect of case with Samba, but I would definitely use something different.

Secondly, is your USB drive actually mounted at ‘/media’?

I also found it strange but since my understanding of linux is pretty shallow, i just typed these commands and wished for everything worked well. Mainly because as soon i start to play around suddenly i couldnt access Volumio or its web interface. In panic i flashed Volumio again on RB 3B+ sd card.

What would you use instead?

Frankly i do not know that, i did not mount it any where and thought that the “media” path was the default path of an USB drive.

Sorry, engage brain :wink:. Your usb drive should already be mounted & shared by Volumio … that’s the ‘usb’ entry in the smb.conf file. Can you not see it in Windows?

I cant and thats why i am confused

Is your Volumio system working ok with the USB drive?

Can you explain exactly how you try to connect to the shared drive (and what version of Windows are you using)?

Sure. The Volumio device itself works flawless and is reading the USB and its files without any issue. When i want to access all files through Volumio i go into the music libary/USB/PATRIOT. Everything works without any issue through the Web Interface.

I am using windows 10 with the newest update and i also allowed for network sharing on it. What happens is regardless what kind of path i type in windows it dosnt recognise it. example \VOLUMIO\USB\PATRIOT, \VOLUMIO\USB, ip address\USB, ip address\USB\PATRIOT, ip address\VOLUMIO\USB\PATRIOT and few more i cant remember. The windows machine itself can see Volumio under media Devices. Is the path i am typing incorrect?

OK, first off I’m rather out of date with using Windows, but just tried plugging a USB stick into one of my devices & fired up my dusty copy of Windows 10. I can see Volumio in File Explorer as a network media device, but no indication of the USB stick. I also have an entry for Volumio as a network computer, and this correctly reveals the /usb/name/music_files on the USB stick.

So sorry, no answer to your problem, other than to say it can work fine. You’ll need to wait for someone more familiar with the intricacies of Windows file-sharing settings, or do some Googling. If you do find the solution, then please update the thread for those following in your footsteps.

These days, Windows is a complicated abomination. There’s a bunch of ways that Win10 can lose a USB drive, and here’s some of the ways back:

howtogeek.com/howto/22251/f … s-7-vista/
disk-partition.com/windows- … g-usb.html
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win … 45a52cef78

something in that lot should be of use to you,

Chris M

[quote=“chrisrm9208”]
These days, Windows is a complicated abomination. There’s a bunch of ways that Win10 can lose a USB drive, and here’s some of the ways back:

howtogeek.com/howto/22251/f … s-7-vista/
disk-partition.com/windows- … g-usb.html
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win … 45a52cef78

something in that lot should be of use to you,

Thank you for your reply but the USB isnt connected to an Windows computer but Volumio itself and what i want to achieve is the Volumio Raspberry Pi to share the USB on the network so i can access it from my windows computer.

Open an Explorer window and type “\ipaddress.to.volumio” in the address bar, in my case for example it is \192.168.1.101\ .
It should then display three folders that Volumio shares: Internal Storage (special folder on the SD card) usb (the connected USB drive) and nas (links to a connected nas).

I tried that and it says that it cant find the device? Are there some settings i should change on the Volumio Device itsself or in my router for it to work?