VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby dekanyz » Fri Mar 13 2020 09:18

@Judydudi:

I'm really looking forward to the next soundcheck event's results...
This is because AKM DACs are quite interesting for me. There are some very good DACs out there which contains this AK4493.

The match between AroioDAC and TB3 will be also interesting because they use different approach to get low jitter (Master Clock vs. Reclocking).

Did you finally try the PSU hack on AroioDAC?
Random avatar
dekanyz
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby judydudi » Thu Mar 19 2020 16:37

Hi soundcheck listeners...
the next soundcheck will of course be postponed. Stay in a good mood.
Thanks!
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby Pars » Wed Mar 25 2020 15:58

judydudi wrote:Hi soundcheck listeners...
the next soundcheck will of course be postponed. Stay in a good mood.
Thanks!

Hello, I am following your tread and really enjoy it a lot. Although I live in Hannnover I coud not find the chance to join your soundcheck events. I hope to join as soon as this crazy times end. During that home period I can not stop but wonder what can be my next upgrade as HAT DAC. I have Allo Boss 1.2 and looking around to enjoy myself during this period. From your evaluations and also being in germany I think that ABACUS Aroio DAC may be an option. I even checked the expensive TauDAC but it looks like you like Aroio DAC as much. Do you think Aroio DAC is a step up compared to Allo Boss 1.2?

Thank you for the great contribution to this hobby and hope to see you in Hamburg.
Random avatar
Pars
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby judydudi » Thu Mar 26 2020 12:41

Pars wrote:From your evaluations and also being in germany I think that ABACUS Aroio DAC may be an option. I even checked the expensive TauDAC but it looks like you like Aroio DAC as much. Do you think Aroio DAC is a step up compared to Allo Boss 1.2?

Thank you for the great contribution to this hobby and hope to see you in Hamburg.

Thank you!

There is no direct comparing for Aroio DAC and TauDAC. And you are right. i like both much.
Today i did an unoffical soundcheck with a friend.
We had:
Terraberry DAC3
Aroio DAC
AroioLT Streamer
volumio primo

All devices driven by the actual volumio version. AroioLT Streamer was not liked, because of a bit dull sounding.
All other were very near to each other. At the end we choose the Aroio DAC for best DAC board over all. TB3 was best at timbre.
primo did a good job overall too.
unoffical soundcheck.jpg
unoffical soundcheck.jpg (327.77 KiB) Viewed 579 times
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby Pars » Thu Mar 26 2020 12:52

Thank you for your response. Actually I am quite amazed by the price difference too. Aroio DAC sells for 69€ and TauDAC is 380€.. also Terraberry DAC is 240€.. and even if they sound similar Aroio DAC looks like a killer.. or am I looking to a wrong price for Aroio? :):):)
Random avatar
Pars
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby judydudi » Thu Mar 26 2020 13:15

Pars wrote:Thank you for your response. Actually I am quite amazed by the price difference too. Aroio DAC sells for 69€ and TauDAC is 380€.. also Terraberry DAC is 240€.. and even if they sound similar Aroio DAC looks like a killer.. or am I looking to a wrong price for Aroio? :):):)

The TauDAC-DM101 needs the TauOUT-TP101 output stage and an additional 9V psu.
TB3 is 263.20 € including shipping plus customs!
Aroio is 77€ incl. shipping.
Yes, Aroio seems to be very interesting ;)
But keep in mind - your setup matters too and can change the order of best a bit...
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby Pars » Thu Mar 26 2020 13:20

judydudi wrote:
Pars wrote:Thank you for your response. Actually I am quite amazed by the price difference too. Aroio DAC sells for 69€ and TauDAC is 380€.. also Terraberry DAC is 240€.. and even if they sound similar Aroio DAC looks like a killer.. or am I looking to a wrong price for Aroio? :):):)

The TauDAC-DM101 needs the TauOUT-TP101 output stage and an additional 9V psu.
TB3 is 263.20 € including shipping plus customs!
Aroio is 77€ incl. shipping.
Yes, Aroio seems to be very interesting ;)
But keep in mind - your setup matters too and can change the order of best a bit...

Actually if it beats my current Allo Boss 1.2 it is enough satisfaction from my side :):):)
Random avatar
Pars
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby Abelfonseca » Yesterday 20:35

Hello,

Greetings from Honduras,

First I want to thank Judydudi for this great project (and thread) evaluating the sound quality of the different DAC boards. I have read through all 25 pages of the thread and enjoyed every post!

I have been left eager for more of this. Lets hope that when the world gets back to normal you guys and gals can get back on it!

I really hope you have a chance in the future to test the different amp boards available, like the hifiberry amp2, amp zero, IQ Audio digiamp + etc.

I heard another poster suggesting you se how the pi hats hold up against a "world class" audiophile dac. I think thats a great idea! If your could get a hold of something like the PS Audio direct steam dac, or other dacs in that league, it would be fantastic. Imagine the uproar if a sub $200 dollar pi dac setup get close to an 8,000 dollar dac!

I know many people suggest you do this or do that, and some even feel like they can tell you that you ought to do you experiment a different. I say, you do what YOU think is best and what you enjoy the most. You have been doing great.

I myself own several of the dacs you have tested, (iq audio dac +, justboom zero, phat dac), and I can tell you all of them have amazed me with their sound quality.

Hope to hear more from this.

Cheers,
Abel
Random avatar
Abelfonseca
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to Diy Volumio Projects