VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby SanjeevM » Thu Nov 07 2019 17:34

Hi Judy,

Please remember to update Volumio to version 2.657, where they have updated the kernel. Now, music has a greater level of details, without being too detailed. It's a pleasure to listen to this version.

That said, I am waiting for a kernel version which will bring the sound closer to that of a Class A amp, particularly the smooth mids and highs of the class A.
RPi3B+ / Katana THD on Allo Shanti / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350-48 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Serious Listener
Serious Listener
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Apr 27 2017 18:11

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby judydudi » Fri Nov 15 2019 09:54

We did it again, yesterday!

we compared these boards in sound:

01 allo: Katana THD
02 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
03 Volumio: 'Primo' (on Tinkerboard S)
04 Nanomesher: Nanosound DAC2
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
06 Collybia: Mamboberry HD DAC+ Crystek v2
07 abacus: AroioDac
08 IQaudio: NEW PI DAC PRO

played on cambridge azur 651w amp and ELAC BS244.3 & FS78 loudspeaker.
One power supply has unfortunately turned out to be broken, so we had to improvise something.
Same Playlist as last time. Using RPI3B(+) and Tinkerboard.

We realized that all boards have a great sound. only minimal differences.
none had any trouble.
two boards were noticeably better:
allo Katana THD was liked most.
however, the AroioDac was practically just as good.
both were a step more precise, detailed and dynamic than the others.

Many thanks to all listening visitors.
And many thanks to all soundcheck supporters (allo, OSAelectronics, Orchardaudio, Collybia, Nanomesher and volumio)

The nanomesher products were here for the first time.
On the pic you see the nanosound DAC2 with amp (10W) and color 1,5"OLED. (a IR Remote is included)
They have a fitting case in their shop.
Unique is their Nanosound CD plugin.
Its avaible for different plattforms and also available without myvolumio subscription!

Summary.
Katana is indeed very good - but the right LPU is a must otherwise you are going to be disappointed.
AroioDAC is suprising good.
The DACBerry pro+ was last time better with a isolator.
Nothing against the other devices.

My next intend for a soundcheck is to "stress" more the opamps on DAC board.
using 90% volume level and a preamp...
competitors.jpg
competitors.jpg (288.41 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Seat11.jpg
Seat11.jpg (205.26 KiB) Viewed 536 times
overview11.jpg
overview11.jpg (121.38 KiB) Viewed 536 times
User avatar
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Sep 25 2016 16:33
Location: Hamburg


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby Che Grillvara » Thu Nov 21 2019 13:06

judydudi wrote:We did it again, yesterday!
...
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
...
The DACBerry pro+ was last time better with a isolator.

...
overview11.jpg


@judydudi

I had a look back and cannot quite find how you used the isolater and which one you used. I asume you used OSA electronics very own Bi-Directional Digital Isolator, correct?

May I ask how you connected this setup with the Thel NT-25HQ? I am considering going down that route as well for my DACberry PRO+ but I am not sure how I would connect the Thel LPS with the Rig (only power to the isolater or power to the isolater and the Raspi?)

Would also be interested how your Thel setup looks in general.

If this is not the right place to dicuss this. please let me know and I will delete this post.
Cheers!
Random avatar
Che Grillvara
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 27 2019 08:05
Location: DE


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby judydudi » Thu Nov 21 2019 14:32

Che Grillvara wrote:I had a look back and cannot quite find how you used the isolater and which one you used. I asume you used OSA electronics very own Bi-Directional Digital Isolator, correct?

May I ask how you connected this setup with the Thel NT-25HQ? I am considering going down that route as well for my DACberry PRO+ but I am not sure how I would connect the Thel LPS with the Rig (only power to the isolater or power to the isolater and the Raspi?)

Would also be interested how your Thel setup looks in general.

Hi Che,
yes, i used the isolator board from OSA.
The Thel PSU is set to two independent 5,25V connections.
( i have the Thel EMI Filter installed too. http://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/Ne ... filter.htm EMI-306 )

In volumio using the OSA DACBerry ONE+ driver

DIP switch on Isolator to Master I2S
Power, one to RPI and one connection to Isolator. The Isolator is feeding the DACBERRY.
Installing GPIO Control Plugin and config as picture shown.

gpio_isolator_volumio.jpg
gpio_isolator_volumio.jpg (391.16 KiB) Viewed 303 times
DACBERRYproplus3.jpg
DACBERRYproplus3.jpg (282.18 KiB) Viewed 303 times
User avatar
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Sep 25 2016 16:33
Location: Hamburg


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby Che Grillvara » Thu Nov 21 2019 15:46

judydudi wrote:...
Hi Che,
yes, i used the isolator board from OSA.
The Thel PSU is set to two independent 5,25V connections.
( i have the Thel EMI Filter installed too. http://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/Ne ... filter.htm EMI-306 )

In volumio using the OSA DACBerry ONE+ driver
DACBERRYproplus3.jpg


F**k me, judydudi that's a decent LPS!

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad I asked as I assumed that you only used one Thel NT-25HQ with two USB connectors with 2x1,4A (1x2,8A) as per their website. Now I know why I stumbled over the term Dual Thel NT-25HQ :D

I was thinking about a single NT-25HQ with 2x1,4A to run the system as it would work very well with the case I was considering for my player.
But looking at your rig I wonder if that would be enough. Did you ever try to run such a setup with only one NT-25-HQ?

I assume you use two LPS' to have two truly separate power supplies, correct? Do you think using only one LPS would be far inferior to your setup (if the NT-25-HQ-09 is not potent enough the NT-50HQ-09 would come to mind)?

I would prefer to have the LPS within the case instead of sperate…

Thanks for your DACberry setup as well! I have to wait until the isolator is back in stock to test it...
Random avatar
Che Grillvara
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 27 2019 08:05
Location: DE


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby judydudi » Thu Nov 21 2019 16:09

One NT-25HQ is enough. even for the Katana which takes over 1,1A for their stack!
With one NT-25HQ you have two clean and independent power connectors. (2x 1,4A)
I put two NT-25HQ in that case for more flexibility, and to share one EMI Filter, to save money.
I was thinking about the NT-50HQ but there is no need. same noise spec. etc.
I want to give every device in my contest a single, independent power rail, to keep away any noise from each other.

My next stepp would be Black pulsar BLP25-09 - http://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/Cl ... pulsar.htm
the disadvantage here is the heat and the continous consumption ;-)
User avatar
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Sep 25 2016 16:33
Location: Hamburg


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby mruano » Fri Nov 22 2019 23:02

judydudi wrote:One NT-25HQ is enough. even for the Katana which takes over 1,1A for their stack!
With one NT-25HQ you have two clean and independent power connectors. (2x 1,4A)
I put two NT-25HQ in that case for more flexibility, and to share one EMI Filter, to save money.
I was thinking about the NT-50HQ but there is no need. same noise spec. etc.
I want to give every device in my contest a single, independent power rail, to keep away any noise from each other.

My next stepp would be Black pulsar BLP25-09 - http://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/Cl ... pulsar.htm
the disadvantage here is the heat and the continous consumption ;-)


Hello, judydudi

Thanks again for a great and very useful effort – once more.

May I ask you, did you use the dual power supply configuration (DAC HAT powered separately from the RPI) with the AroioDAC?

Thanks and regards,

Miguel
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 09 2018 00:32


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby judydudi » Sat Nov 23 2019 13:54

mruano wrote:May I ask you, did you use the dual power supply configuration (DAC HAT powered separately from the RPI) with the AroioDAC?
Miguel

Hi Miguel,
thanks for your interest.
The AroioDAC was powered from the RPI. I used one power rail from the dual power supply for the RPI.

PS: i have now own second AroioDAC. with it, i like to compare different power and isolator combinations
User avatar
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Sep 25 2016 16:33
Location: Hamburg


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby Diggi » Sat Nov 23 2019 18:57

Hi, seems like it was a very interesting event.

I just ordered an AroioDAC and now I'm wondering which I²S Profile you chose for it:
HiFiBerry DAC Plus
HiFiBerry DAC Plus ADC
HiFiBerry DAC Plus ADC PR
HiFiBerry DAC Plus DSP
and for which reason. What are the differences between these profiles?
Any suggestions, anything I missed?
Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, Dirk
Random avatar
Diggi
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 27 2019 15:57


VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Postby judydudi » Sat Nov 23 2019 20:27

Diggi wrote:Hi, seems like it was a very interesting event.

I just ordered an AroioDAC and now I'm wondering which I²S Profile you chose for it:
HiFiBerry DAC Plus
HiFiBerry DAC Plus ADC
HiFiBerry DAC Plus ADC PR
HiFiBerry DAC Plus DSP
and for which reason. What are the differences between these profiles?
Any suggestions, anything I missed?
Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, Dirk

Hallo Dirk,

i choose HiFiBerry DAC Plus. The other driver are special and for the newer HiFiBerry products.
Would be interessting, if you find more enhancements - so let me know...
best, judydudi
User avatar
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Sep 25 2016 16:33
Location: Hamburg

PreviousNext

Return to Diy Volumio Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest