VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby SanjeevM » Thu Oct 24 2019 01:37

Judidudi,

The Katana DAC has a number of filters. I suggest that you use the Brick Wall filter during the comparison. It's the most natural sounding one.
RPi3B+ / Katana THD on Allo Shanti / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350-48 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby mruano » Fri Oct 25 2019 01:29

judydudi wrote:Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!

This is the invitation for the next soundcheck in beautifull Hamburg, germany on november, 14 8pm.

We like to hear same boards like last soundcheck, but with LPS and without isolator boards...
as i promised you :)

01 allo: Katana THD
02 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
03 Volumio: 'Primo' (on Tinkerboard S)
04 Khadas: generic tone board USB DAC (maybe with usb reclocker)
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
06 Collybia: Mamboberry HD DAC+ Crystek v2
07 abacus: AroioDac
08 IQaudio: NEW PI DAC PRO

Many thanks to Oriol from OSA electronics to give the Soundcheck his brand new developed ULPS1225A Dual Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply.
It's available in 5V,9V and 12V.

Maybe I can revise the playlist - the old one is geeting boring :)

so it's free to come. just write an email to linux @ kompage.de to register and getting more information...

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)
Many thanks to all supporters, to make this soundcheck as great as it is!
(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa and last but not least volumio)

we heard in the past:
DAC:TauDAC-DM101 with TauOUT-TP101, Dial-DAC, HIFI Shield & HIFI Shield2, SabreBerry Z, JustBoom DAC HAT, Terraberry Dac 2, ApplePi, Curryman DAC
PSU: Raspberry, allo 5V3A, allo Dual, ifi Ipower, SBooster, Thel NT-25HQ-09, MamboPower
Reclocker: Kali, ApplePi Reclocker, 3R USB Renaissance, iFi iPurifier2
USB-DAC: iFi nano ione, Elac EA101EQ-G

Thanks again for organising this magnificent and generous undertaking, judydudi!

May I suggest including the NanoMesher NanoSound DAC2 Pro Streamer in your list of devices to review? It is getting some pretty good reviews. See, for instance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXixqwWeXQc&t=33s

Looking forward to reading about the results of the soundcheck.

Best wishes,

Miguel
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby judydudi » Fri Oct 25 2019 08:45

SanjeevM wrote:Judidudi,

The Katana DAC has a number of filters. I suggest that you use the Brick Wall filter during the comparison. It's the most natural sounding one.

Thanks for your input, SanjeevM.
you are right, i have to get figure out, how katana can give its best!
Hans Beekhuyzen uses the Apodizing fast roll-off filter, you suggest me to use the brick wall filter and ioan from allo recommends the Linear phase fast roll-off filter. I will spent a hour to see what i find with my amp is best. i let you know.
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby judydudi » Fri Oct 25 2019 09:01

mruano wrote:[quote="judydudi"
Thanks again for organising this magnificent and generous undertaking, judydudi!

May I suggest including the NanoMesher NanoSound DAC2 Pro Streamer in your list of devices to review? It is getting some pretty good reviews. See, for instance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXixqwWeXQc&t=33s

Looking forward to reading about the results of the soundcheck.

Best wishes,

Miguel

Thank you for the flowers, mruano :)
I came closer to the nanomesher products when i uses the Nanomesher Hackable Pi Switch Cap in a iQaudio device.
This works like a charm.
right now i am thinking about comparing the NanoSound DAC2 after next soundcheck or the HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC.
both boards are interesting to me. i tend at the moment to nanosound. ;)
Maybe they lend me a device...

Best, judydudi
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby nanomesher » Fri Oct 25 2019 12:14

We are very happy to lend our Nanosound DAC 2 for soundcheck!

Where should we send the device to?
Is this only for DAC? We also have a digital amp which would love to hear the opinions too!

http://nanomesher.com/nanosoundamp10
nanomesher
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby SanjeevM » Fri Oct 25 2019 18:12

Judidudi,

I have to revise my earlier recommendation regarding the DSP program to use.

I was powering the Katana DAC with an IFI low noise adapter, and the RPI from a standard Allo adapter, using the Isolator 1.2 in between.

I got my Allo Shanti today. When I connected it, (keeping the isolator 1.2) the sound changed dramatically for the better. With a much lower noise floor, there was a reduction in the "harshness" in the voice of the singer and a much better tonality. This was perhaps because there was some noise at higher harmonics (in iFi it must be there still) which was cleaned up by Allo.

Now the "Brick Wall" DSP is not the best anymore. I had recommended it earlier as it was reducing the harshness from vocals, and making them sound more natural, given the noisier IFI supply.

After listing comparisons, I will now say that the "Linear phase Fast roll off" is indeed the best one.

Regards.
RPi3B+ / Katana THD on Allo Shanti / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350-48 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby judydudi » Sun Oct 27 2019 16:45

nanomesher wrote:We are very happy to lend our Nanosound DAC 2 for soundcheck!

Where should we send the device to?
Is this only for DAC? We also have a digital amp which would love to hear the opinions too!

Oh, wow
it's great that you want to give the soundcheck and its followers the chance to hear your Nanosound DAC2!
I'll write you a PM
Thank you nanomesher.
judydudi
PS: The amplifier is of course interesting, just do not know when I can compare it ...
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby judydudi » Sun Oct 27 2019 16:57

After listing comparisons, I will now say that the "Linear phase Fast roll off" is indeed the best one.

Thank you SanjeevM
that is very helpful and confirms my guess, that katana needs - at first - a good LPS to show the potential (more than other boards).
i 'll take "Linear phase Fast roll off" . :)
regards
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby judydudi » Mon Nov 04 2019 18:44

mruano wrote:May I suggest including the NanoMesher NanoSound DAC2 Pro Streamer in your list of devices to review? It is getting some pretty good reviews.

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

your wish has come true. Today i got the shippment from Nanomesher!
So the Nanosound DAC2 is in the competition next week. :)

And for all interested in the Nanosound products.
Nanomesher also lent me their amp and the Nanosound CD.
So, i'll give the participants a small introduction to the possibilities of these nanosound products.
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby mruano » Wed Nov 06 2019 21:03

judydudi wrote:
mruano wrote:May I suggest including the NanoMesher NanoSound DAC2 Pro Streamer in your list of devices to review? It is getting some pretty good reviews.

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

your wish has come true. Today i got the shippment from Nanomesher!
So the Nanosound DAC2 is in the competition next week. :)

And for all interested in the Nanosound products.
Nanomesher also lent me their amp and the Nanosound CD.
So, i'll give the participants a small introduction to the possibilities of these nanosound products.

That's great news, I am glad it all worked out and I am looking forward to reading all about the soundcheck.

Thanks again for such a great and valuable undertaking, judydudi.

Miguel
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to Diy Volumio Projects