VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby mruano » Fri Oct 04 2019 17:22

Thanks indeed for this effort, Jens - it is extremely helpful. Too bad I am not in Hamburg!

A couple of questions, if I may:

1.- From the pictures that you have posted, it would appear that all the 'visible' HATs are mounted on RP3s - or are they RP3+s? No RP4s in sight that I can tell. Ant reason for that?

2.- You seem to be using a very nice acrylic case for the AroioDac. If this correct, do you know where to get such case?

Thanks again and best regards,

Miguel
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby SanjeevM » Sat Oct 05 2019 05:15

RPI4s run hotter than a RPI3 or 3+. That's one of the disadvantages. I'm trying to find out whether there is an improvement in sound.
RPi3B+ / Katana THD on Allo Shanti / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350-48 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Sun Oct 06 2019 01:58

SanjeevM wrote:RPI4s run hotter than a RPI3 or 3+. That's one of the disadvantages. I'm trying to find out whether there is an improvement in sound.

I can tell you that with the PecanPi, the Rpi 4 offers zero improvement in sound quality. I recommend to all of my customers to use the 3B.

The 3B is the coolest running of the Pis and has plenty enough power for any audio streaming tasks.
orchardaudio
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby mruano » Sun Oct 06 2019 23:31

orchardaudio wrote:
SanjeevM wrote:RPI4s run hotter than a RPI3 or 3+. That's one of the disadvantages. I'm trying to find out whether there is an improvement in sound.

I can tell you that with the PecanPi, the Rpi 4 offers zero improvement in sound quality. I recommend to all of my customers to use the 3B.

The 3B is the coolest running of the Pis and has plenty enough power for any audio streaming tasks.

Thanks for the advice. Would that be a plain 3B or a 3B+?
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby judydudi » Mon Oct 07 2019 08:05

mruano wrote:Thanks indeed for this effort, Jens - it is extremely helpful. Too bad I am not in Hamburg!
1.- From the pictures that you have posted, it would appear that all the 'visible' HATs are mounted on RP3s - or are they RP3+s? No RP4s in sight that I can tell. Ant reason for that?
2.- You seem to be using a very nice acrylic case for the AroioDac. If this correct, do you know where to get such case?
Miguel

Hi Miguel,
thank you for attentive reading of my posts.
I used RPI3B and RPI3B+.
this has mainly practical reasons. costs & availability of cases. From some i did get complete player with RPI3 or RPI3+ included.
I like RPI3 because less power consumption. RPI3+ is (a bit) more powerfull with more power consumption. i see no difference in sound, even using a RPI4.
2. https://www.reichelt.de/hifiberry-unive ... 91037.html
best ,judydudi
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby mruano » Tue Oct 08 2019 21:18

judydudi wrote:
mruano wrote:Thanks indeed for this effort, Jens - it is extremely helpful. Too bad I am not in Hamburg!
Miguel

Hi Miguel,
thank you for attentive reading of my posts.
I used RPI3B and RPI3B+.
this has mainly practical reasons. costs & availability of cases. From some i did get complete player with RPI3 or RPI3+ included.
I like RPI3 because less power consumption. RPI3+ is (a bit) more powerfull with more power consumption. i see no difference in sound, even using a RPI4.
2. https://www.reichelt.de/hifiberry-unive ... 91037.html
best ,judydudi

Thanks, judydudi

HB believes the RP4 for audio sounds worse than the RP3+

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqEPyMr1zI&t=1s

Keep up the good and valuable work.

Miguel
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby orchardaudio » Fri Oct 11 2019 11:58

mruano wrote:
orchardaudio wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Would that be a plain 3B or a 3B+?

Plain 3B
orchardaudio
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby mruano » Tue Oct 15 2019 22:26

Thanks, orchardaudio
Random avatar
mruano
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby judydudi » Mon Oct 21 2019 15:19

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!

This is the invitation for the next soundcheck in beautifull Hamburg, germany on november, 14 8pm.

We like to hear same boards like last soundcheck, but with LPS and without isolator boards...
as i promised you :)

01 allo: Katana THD
02 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
03 Volumio: 'Primo' (on Tinkerboard S)
04 Khadas: generic tone board USB DAC (maybe with usb reclocker)
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
06 Collybia: Mamboberry HD DAC+ Crystek v2
07 abacus: AroioDac
08 IQaudio: NEW PI DAC PRO

Many thanks to Oriol from OSA electronics to give the Soundcheck his brand new developed ULPS1225A Dual Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply.
It's available in 5V,9V and 12V.

Maybe I can revise the playlist - the old one is geeting boring :)

so it's free to come. just write an email to linux @ kompage.de to register and getting more information...

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)
Many thanks to all supporters, to make this soundcheck as great as it is!
(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa and last but not least volumio)

we heard in the past:
DAC:TauDAC-DM101 with TauOUT-TP101, Dial-DAC, HIFI Shield & HIFI Shield2, SabreBerry Z, JustBoom DAC HAT, Terraberry Dac 2, ApplePi, Curryman DAC
PSU: Raspberry, allo 5V3A, allo Dual, ifi Ipower, SBooster, Thel NT-25HQ-09, MamboPower
Reclocker: Kali, ApplePi Reclocker, 3R USB Renaissance, iFi iPurifier2
USB-DAC: iFi nano ione, Elac EA101EQ-G
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby SanjeevM » Tue Oct 22 2019 02:33

Judi, see if you can get the Revolution DAC from Allo.
RPi3B+ / Katana THD on Allo Shanti / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350-48 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

PreviousNext

Return to Diy Volumio Projects