VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby judydudi » Sat Dec 08 2018 15:10

judydudi wrote:The winner of the Es9023 warm up round was to my suprise the mamboberry with idt clock and the curryman.

...an explanation of the weak mamboberry would be the reason, that i had chosen software volume control!?
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby gkkpch » Sat Dec 08 2018 21:41

Jens,

I have compiled a new kernel for tinkerboard (=primo) based on version 4.4.71 (prior to Asus's major upgrade to 4.4.132+).
This is the version for Primo where the issues were not showing yet.
Michelangelo will check this one and compare it on Monday with the one you used for testing, we will let you know ...

BR - Gé
Volumio OS Developer

You like my work? Then what about buying me a beer :)
gkkpch

Postby gkkpch » Tue Dec 11 2018 22:14

@Jens, please get in touch with Michelangelo for the latest image with our own kernel (not sure if it is 2.515/16 or 17 ), the I2S frequencies are now correct.
Of course, we are waiting for Asus/ Rockchip to fix the issue in their own kernel. We only undid what they "fixed".
Volumio OS Developer

You like my work? Then what about buying me a beer :)
gkkpch

Postby judydudi » Wed Dec 12 2018 12:49

find power consumption of soundcheck devices here:
(playing volumio, lan connected)
RPI3 ~1,65W
RPI3+ ~2,1W
allo isolator 1.2 ~ 0,2W
katana 1.2 ~ 5,2W
applepi recklocker ~0,15W
applepi dac ~3,4W
piano2.1&kali ~0,9W
primo&tinkerboardS ~3,5W
DACBerry pro ~0,45W
DACBerry one+ ~0,05W
IQaudiO DAC pro ~0,03W
Mamboberry HD+ ~ 0,05W
Mamboberry LS ~0,15W
kali ~0,4W
Terraberry2 ~0,7W
Boss 1,2 ~0,05W
using the YZX Studio USB 3.0 Power Monitor (red)
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby rost21A » Wed Dec 12 2018 20:46

Hall Jens
Thank you for organizing the sound check.
It's amazing that, according to your listening tests, the boards are so close to each other.
But I am also surprised that the BOSS is not among the best. The BOSS was hailed everywhere and voted Best Implementation of the PCM5122.
I only have the comparison between Hifiberry DAC + Pro and Boss.
I am currently using the BOSS with the ifi-Audio iPower power supply. (separate supply for RPI and BOSS with 2x LT3042 from Linear (diyinhk.com)) With the PSU it seems to me, it sounds fantastic! Such a power supply is a MUST.

I am very uncertain, did I buy the wrong one with the BOSS?

regards
rost21A
Rasperry Pi 2 / 3
Connected to Allo Boss DAC 1.2 (with dual Ultra low noise Power supply from DIYINHK, 0.8uV (LT3042), iFi-Audio iPower)
Hypex nCore 400 Amp, Boenicke Audio W5 SE Speaker
Listen to Flac up to 24/192 kHz, Qobuz Hi-Fi Sublime+...
Random avatar
rost21A
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby michelangelo » Wed Dec 12 2018 21:42

rost21A wrote:Hall Jens
Thank you for organizing the sound check.
It's amazing that, according to your listening tests, the boards are so close to each other.
But I am also surprised that the BOSS is not among the best. The BOSS was hailed everywhere and voted Best Implementation of the PCM5122.
I only have the comparison between Hifiberry DAC + Pro and Boss.
I am currently using the BOSS with the ifi-Audio iPower power supply. (separate supply for RPI and BOSS with 2x LT3042 from Linear (diyinhk.com)) With the PSU it seems to me, it sounds fantastic! Such a power supply is a MUST.

I am very uncertain, did I buy the wrong one with the BOSS?

regards
rost21A

My 2 cents: you did not buy the wrong DAC. You have one of the best price\quality ratio you could get. If you notice the DACs which are among the top cost many times the BOSS, so it's not comparable.
michelangelo
Founder

Postby rost21A » Wed Dec 12 2018 22:53

Hi Michelangelo
Thank you for the clarification, that's a good thing and it helps eliminate my insecurity.
Yes, it seems to me, big improvements can be achieved with a good low-noise power supply. My experiences are incredible. I think this is not very different with expensive devices ... We'll all agree on that ;-)

regards
rost21A
Last edited by rost21A on Thu Dec 27 2018 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rasperry Pi 2 / 3
Connected to Allo Boss DAC 1.2 (with dual Ultra low noise Power supply from DIYINHK, 0.8uV (LT3042), iFi-Audio iPower)
Hypex nCore 400 Amp, Boenicke Audio W5 SE Speaker
Listen to Flac up to 24/192 kHz, Qobuz Hi-Fi Sublime+...
Random avatar
rost21A
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby ronson » Thu Dec 27 2018 03:29

I also wanted to thank Jens for arranging a soundcheck again. I was really thrilled to see if we could hear out any differences between all these DACs. The first round with all the ES9023 based boards was really exhausting. All the same DAC but different implementations. Many of them sounded almost similar and we needed some cycles to be able to determine the ones which sounded best. Glad that my RPI2+CurrymanDAC+2xPSU made it to the next round beside the mamboberry where it had to compete with all the other DACs. :D

While it was really difficult and exhausting to listen to it trying to get the differences in sounding, mostly only present in nuances, there were also some DACs which sounded not good and harsh to the ear and overall auditorial experience. Over all the years building Speakers, AMPs and so on you develop some kind of expertise and also sounding preference.

So there is on the one hand the analytical approach to see which equipment sounds best and also the subjective "feeling in the gut" approach. I anted to clarify that this testing has a huge subjective component. So don't get this List as a definitive "This are the best DAC&SBC combos". Use this list as a rough guidance for which board you should look for and then try to test them with your own equipement and Music. I am really sure that every person would get to a more or less slightly different result than we did at this sound check.

But there were also some examples where we all agreed that the sound from the DAC/SBC combos sound kinda off or bad. This was e.g. with the Katana SQ which kinda changed the playback speed. But as we see thats a bad software implementation which is allready to be resolved by the developer.

All I wanted to say that it was impressive to see the different opinions from the attendees at this sound check and also to see that in some cases our opinions were kinda same when it comes to extraordinary bad or good experiences.

And to all those in this thread who are developing those kind of boards and giving it to Jens to being able to compete with other DACs: "Thank you for your help and a shout out to you giving us the opportunity" . :) ...

Glad to see that you don't need to spend hundrets of dollars for the hi-fi experience.

And also Thank you Jens for the nice , insightfull evening with likeminded people. 8-)

Greetings
Ron
Random avatar
ronson
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby nassost » Fri Dec 28 2018 10:18

ronson wrote:But there were also some examples where we all agreed that the sound from the DAC/SBC combos sound kinda off or bad. This was e.g. with the Katana SQ which kinda changed the playback speed. But as we see thats a bad software implementation which is allready to be resolved by the developer.

judydudi wrote:Katana SQ disappointed with a diluted, to mixed sound.

Hi everybody!

Can you please elaborate on the specific problems that occured during the test of Katana SQ and what actions Allo is taking to address them?
Random avatar
nassost
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby judydudi » Fri Dec 28 2018 18:53

i think, ronson has confused the DAC 'which kinda changed the playback speed.' because of the 'bad software implementation'.
The volumio primo was board with the problem of 'changed playback speed' . This was fixed in the next release of volumio for tinkerboard.
my explanation that Katana SQ disappointed with a diluted, to mixed sound is that it could be because no 'burn in time' was done due to the late arrival of the board.
Anyway. We are curious about the Katana Sound Quality Stage board. We are going to compare it in a small soundcheck with the THD Version on January, 10. 8PM. Stay tuned... :)
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

PreviousNext

Return to Diy Volumio Projects