Volumio Shop: what products would you like to see?

Here you can find all important communications from Volumio's staff

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby michelangelo » Sun Jul 24 2016 17:44

The Volumio shop is a place meant to offer a fine selection of Audio gear, with an high performance\price ratio.

So, what stuff would you guys want to see in it?
michelangelo
Founder

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby balbuze » Sun Jul 24 2016 19:40

What a good surprise ! I just discovered the shop !
What I'd like to find :
A selection of speakers (from cheap to less cheap)
Of course more choice in term of amp / dac
And section advice to compose a hifi system using Volumio :
Cheapest (ex rpi zero, dac+amp, small bookshelves speakers )
mid range
higher range ( and more expensive)
headphones
The idea is to help beginner to compose a good and coherent system depending considering hardware and bugdet.
Just to said, when I first discovered Volumio, I even didn't imagine what was possible with such small device! I was very interested in a very much more expensive, and miles away of Volumio in term of possibility, flexibility commercial stream player.
balbuze

Re: Volumio Shop: what products would you like to see?

Postby badger » Sun Jul 24 2016 19:51

Durio sound DAC
Mamboberry DAC
Audiophonics DAC
Hi-Fi berry and Hi-Fi berry digi
Power supplies switching and linear
Cases for raspberry
[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Random avatar
badger
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby michelangelo » Sun Jul 24 2016 21:49

Thanks guys, we basically share the same ideas! We also already have hifiberry on board, it's just a matter of time until they will be available...

Thanks for the feedbacks!
michelangelo
Founder

Postby chrisrm9208 » Mon Jul 25 2016 10:21

Justy a small comment; the links to the subtypes (DAC, amplifier, etc..) are malformed by missing the initial 'h' off the address.... (but someone will have told you this already...)
Random avatar
chrisrm9208
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby michelangelo » Mon Jul 25 2016 13:04

No I didn't know! Fixed, thanks
michelangelo
Founder

Postby kerampont » Mon Jul 25 2016 14:22

Hello
nice surprise
i like the "transparent case with the small screen" shown in the shop
i know some might not be ok with the idea, but find (for free or for a few bucks) the plan of nice "Volumio hardware cases", eventually with the option to buy it "already made" (even if its against the idea of DIY that RPI and Volumio have been pushing).
That is one point to allow those that want to share and spend some time to do so, for free and by sharing time and skills.
It is another point to allow people without time and skills (or the will to get them) to find "already made" some nice solutions.

regards
eric
Random avatar
kerampont
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby skikirkwood » Mon Jul 25 2016 19:35

michelangelo wrote:The Volumio shop is a place meant to offer a fine selection of Audio gear, with an high performance\price ratio.

So, what stuff would you guys want to see in it?

I believe more experienced people in the community already have a pretty good idea of what hardware is out there and where to get it. But new people have no idea where to start, and the number of options and permutations of hardware can be overwhelming.

So I'd recommend focusing on newer people to the DIY audiophile world and help guide them to choose various collections of hardware that work well together. That would include the single board computer itself, a power supply, microSD card, I2S or USB DAC and a case. This might be difficult as there would be different vendors supplying various parts, but having some preconfigured "starter" packages with all of the above, along with an explanation of why you may want to choose that package, would really help newcomers.

Even better would be to have the option for a microSD card with a preinstalled Volumio 2 image for the particular hardware platform, with settings already made such as choosing the I2S DAC.
Volumio 2 on Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC, Volumio 2 on Raspberry Pi 3, IQAudio Pi-DAC+, Schiit Freya preamp, Bryston 3b power amp, B&W 803 speakers
skikirkwood
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby michelangelo » Mon Jul 25 2016 19:55

Totally agree, very sensible arguments. Bundles are our primary goal, but it's logistically very complicated to do such thing. So we're looking for partners on this.. But sure at some point we'll do that.

PS: A new update of Volumio is coming, with i2s DAC autodetection...
michelangelo
Founder

Postby PatrickB » Mon Jul 25 2016 20:04

The idea of a shop is great, but it also brings the implicit matter of support.

So if you offer something through the shop, it is expected it is/and will be fully supported (for quite some times like 3+ years).

My personal 'worry' is with USB based DAC's as feeding a good USB signal remains troublesome for most devices like RPi, etc. Maybe a proper x86 system can manage this.

A big pro for bundles could be that with smartly chosen parts and a good and clear explanation on why and how these parts are a good fit for each other, can give people much insight and help to choose something that fits them well (and they understand why).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raspberry PI B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ (Audio-GD DAC) and NAD A/V receiver with Dali speakers.
Also working on a Pi 3A+ connected over USB to in-car DSP
PatrickB
Objectivist
Objectivist

Next

Return to Staff comunications