Volumio 2 on Rock64

Volumio portings supported by community members

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby dishins » Mon Jan 14 2019 00:58

Just installed the new update and everything is working flawlessly as usual.

Thank you
dishins
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby 616Rick » Wed Feb 20 2019 20:26

Sorry, some questions from a Volumio newbie here.

So, the volumio-2.528-2019-01-12-rock64 release is good for the Rock64, or also works with the Rock64Pro?

Is the Rock64 a safe bet and now as usable and stable with Volumio as say the Pi, or Sparky? Will it update automatically, or will I have to flash a new microSD for updates?

I only have macOS available to me. I can flash this image to a microSD using balenaEtcher, or UNetbootin and the Rock64 should boot right up?

The video out from the Rock64 can go to my TV and I can see what's playing, etc? I believe in the past I say some Volumio devices pictured doing that.

There is no local login or administration on the Rock64, everything is done from the web UI/app?

Volumio loads to RAM. How does it know where mmy music library is to index and save that between reboots?

Volumio can play from a network location and a disk plugged in locally?

The USB connection should work with my DAC, TEAC UD-501?

Thank you in advance.
Random avatar
616Rick
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Wed Feb 20 2019 22:02

This image will not work on Rock64pro because it is based on a Rockchip RK3399, Rock64 has RK3328.
(In my opinion, Rock64pro is not a suitable platform for Volumio, but that is another story).

We do regular updates for Rock64, it is stable according to feedback here and on the pine64.org forum.
You should be able to update Rock64 when a new version is available, I personally have to admit not testing this very often.

I have not tested the Touchscreen plugin (which also supports plain HDMI, like a TV) as I have no use for it.
Perhaps someone else might chime in with info.

There is no login/ admin necessary, but you can use a remote ssh terminal connection access Volumio directly.
This can be used in case you want to do specific configuration, requires you to be confident with command line operations.

Indexing is done thru the UI, you need to configure settings for network storage (CIFS or NFS), also thru the UI.
With direct connected storage like USB sticks or drives this should work without automatically.
Not everything is kept in RAM, all configuration (including your music index) is kept on the SD or eMMC you booted from, but done in a way to minimize wear on your storage device.

USB Audio should be OK for most commercial devices.
If TEAC UD-501 is supported by the linux audio driver (google a little, I don't know by heart), then Volumio will too.

Edit

You could buy the cheapest Rock64 as Volumio already works with 1Gb (and up).
Volumio OS Developer

You like my work? Then what about buying me a beer :)
gkkpch

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby rom » Tue Mar 19 2019 09:43

Hello,

first of all, as a Volumio noob, I just wanted to thank you and Volumio's team for your great work.

I'm using Rock64 (4GB) with the Rock64 DAC add-on board and everything works great. I also sometimes switch the sound output from I2S to a Creative BT-W2 bluetooth sound card (USB dongle format) paired with my bluetooth headphones and it works really well too.

For the while, Volumio runs on micro SD but I just wondered if there was any benefit to use an eMMC module rather than a micro SD card.

Thanks a lot again,
rom
rom
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby luchia0424 » Tue Mar 19 2019 17:03

Hello, from Volumio newcomer
Volumio-2.528-2019-01-12-rock64
Rock64 i2s to dac es9038Q2M works fine
But play dsd64 screen display 96KHZ
Is there an es9038Q2M rock64-Volumio plugin available?
Sorry, forgive me, bad English.

http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2022&p=8583
Random avatar
luchia0424
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby Moller18 » Tue Mar 19 2019 18:46

luchia0424 wrote:Hello, from Volumio newcomer
Volumio-2.528-2019-01-12-rock64
Rock64 i2s to dac es9038Q2M works fine
But play dsd64 screen display 96KHZ
Is there an es9038Q2M rock64-Volumio plugin available?

http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2022&p=8583

This is helpful! Thanks
Random avatar
Moller18
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Thu Mar 21 2019 08:26

rom wrote:Hello,

first of all, as a Volumio noob, I just wanted to thank you and Volumio's team for your great work.

I'm using Rock64 (4GB) with the Rock64 DAC add-on board and everything works great. I also sometimes switch the sound output from I2S to a Creative BT-W2 bluetooth sound card (USB dongle format) paired with my bluetooth headphones and it works really well too.

For the while, Volumio runs on micro SD but I just wondered if there was any benefit to use an eMMC module rather than a micro SD card.

Thanks a lot again,
rom

eMMC is faster and a little more reliable than an SD card, though the speed difference you will only notice when booting.
I always use eMMC whenever I can leave it untouched for a while.
Rock64 has a removable eMMC, therefore I do not use it for testing as the eMMC connector looks a little delicate, it may not be made for using tens of times a day.
In case you decide to buy an eMMC, don't forget to order the uSD adapter at the same time.
Volumio OS Developer

gkkpch

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Thu Mar 21 2019 08:35

luchia0424 wrote:Is there an es9038Q2M rock64-Volumio plugin available?

There is no plugin, and there are no plans for it, driver installation remains manual.

It seems there is a Rock64 hw rev. 3 on its way, which will allow the use of PI HATs.
This is when we can add more DAC drivers to the Rock64 kernel in a similar way as for the Tinkerboard.
ES9038Q2M would be one of them.
No date yet though, so no need to ask ;)
Volumio OS Developer

gkkpch

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby rom » Thu Mar 21 2019 09:39

gkkpch wrote:
rom wrote:Hello,

Thanks a lot again,
rom

eMMC is faster and a little more reliable than an SD card, though the speed difference you will only notice when booting.
I always use eMMC whenever I can leave it untouched for a while.
Rock64 has a removable eMMC, therefore I do not use it for testing as the eMMC connector looks a little delicate, it may not be made for using tens of times a day.
In case you decide to buy an eMMC, don't forget to order the uSD adapter at the same time.

Thanks for your answer Gé.

I already own two 32GB Rock64 eMMC modules with the USB to eMMC adapter. For the while I'll keep on using my 8GB SD card and making backups with dd.

How does the Rock64 DAC add-on board compare to other DACs like IQaudiO Pi DAC+, ALLO Boss or ALLO Piano ? Is it far behind in terms of sound quality ?

I've noticed that memory usage on my Rock64 is close to 700MB when idle and that it almost reaches 1GB when playing flac files (highest compression). Is this specific to Rock64 or to Volumio ? Is it comparable to other pi like hardware platforms using Volumio (Rpi, Tinker Board, Sparky) ? I use two samba shares as a music library. UPnP renderer, DLNA client and WiFi are disabled.

Thanks,
rom
rom
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to Community portings