Volumio 2 on Rock64

Volumio portings supported by community members

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby ardentmusician » Sun Jun 17 2018 15:38

Hello! Just checking in to see how progress is going.

gkkpch wrote:I've got a bit of a backlog with the main platform, but it is still in the pipeline.
Hope to get it done this weekend or shortly after.
Random avatar
ardentmusician
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby ycat3 » Wed Jun 20 2018 05:13

Thank you gkkpch.
I have tested my rock64 with volumio2.
ES9023 pi-HAT DAC does not work, no sound.
ES9038Q2M DAC wired connected by using Pi-P5+ I2S BUS works fine. Good sound.
However there is NAS problem.
NAS mount is successful, but no music files scanning.
Only local and USB memory music files shown in browsing.
Random avatar
ycat3
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Fri Jul 20 2018 18:20

pfeerick wrote:Firstly, I just want to say that you guys have done a great job with volumio... it is a great package - easy to install and configure, looks good, sounds great ;)

I have the rock64 DAC board, but wanted to run docker and volumio side by side as I was planning to have an always on rock64 server that doubled as a playback device. Docker didn't seem to co-operate well on the volumio (although I didn't experiment with it too long to see why).

I was wondering how hard / what would be the process for getting the I2S audio working on say one of the newer bionic/ubuntu minimal or container images that ayufan does for the rock64? (as I'm guessing it wouldn't be that different to the Debian image - just not sure what sound related stuff needs to be configured. Or should I poke around with docker on volumio a bit more as it should be working?

Sorry, I totally missed your post :oops:
It is not possible to add Volumio to an existing distro, we build our own Debian jessie (stretch is in the planning) with volumio-specific packages, including a quashed root filesystem and filesystem overlay, all initiated from our initramfs.
If there is anything specific missing in our Debian distro, just say. In case it makes sense for others and it does not blow up the size of our image, I might add it.
Volumio OS Developer

You like my work? Then what about buying me a beer :)
gkkpch

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Fri Jul 20 2018 18:22

A new version of Volumio for Rock64 has been added, see the OP.
Apart from newest Volumio functionality, this version has support for Realtek RT5370 wireless devices.
Volumio OS Developer

gkkpch

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby bernardhung » Thu Aug 02 2018 02:45

gkkpch wrote:A new version of Volumio for Rock64 has been added, see the OP.
Apart from newest Volumio functionality, this version has support for Realtek RT5370 wireless devices.

Hi OP, are you able to point to the resources on how to wire ROCK64 to a DAC HAT (I suppose it is going through I2S), thanks in advance.
Random avatar
bernardhung
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby ardentmusician » Thu Aug 02 2018 02:55

You don't wire it to the hat. The hat sits right on the top perfectly. There are a set of pins just for that. You will need to move a jumper on the hat, though, as it is set by default to use the optical rather than the analog outs.

bernardhung wrote:
gkkpch wrote:A new version of Volumio for Rock64 has been added, see the OP.

Hi OP, are you able to point to the resources on how to wire ROCK64 to a DAC HAT (I suppose it is going through I2S), thanks in advance.
Random avatar
ardentmusician
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Thu Aug 02 2018 11:25

That only applies to the Rock64 Audio HAT (yes, mind the jumper) and older RPi B HATs (the ones with the additional connector).
Any other HAT won’ t work other than by wiring them, look for the RPI B and rock64 pinout and let me know in case you get stuck.

From the older PI HATs only “simple” DACs work correctly, the Rock64 kernel only has a generic I2S driver (also with limitations as to the different formats it can handle).
You might have to configure “Resampling” in case you run into this issue.
There is nothing we can do about that, we have to take the kernel as it comes.
Volumio OS Developer

gkkpch

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby bernardhung » Tue Aug 07 2018 02:20

gkkpch wrote:That only applies to the Rock64 Audio HAT (yes, mind the jumper) and older RPi B HATs (the ones with the additional connector).
Any other HAT won’ t work other than by wiring them, look for the RPI B and rock64 pinout and let me know in case you get stuck.

From the older PI HATs only “simple” DACs work correctly, the Rock64 kernel only has a generic I2S driver (also with limitations as to the different formats it can handle).

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful. :)
Random avatar
bernardhung
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby bernardhung » Sun Aug 12 2018 14:27

bernardhung wrote:
gkkpch wrote:That only applies to the Rock64 Audio HAT (yes, mind the jumper) and older RPi B HATs (the ones with the additional connector).

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful. :)

And big thanks for the port, I have 2 RPi 3B, 2 RPi 3B+ and a TInkerboard, Rock64 sounded the best. I don't know the difference between the kernel's update cycle between these boards, but Rock64, as its name implies, rocks !! Please keep up the great work!
Random avatar
bernardhung
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Volumio 2 on Rock64

Postby gkkpch » Sat Sep 29 2018 09:43

New version 2.462, see opening post
Changelog:
- Fixed soft reboot issue
- Support for additional wifi dongles
Volumio OS Developer

gkkpch

PreviousNext

Return to Community portings