Volumio for Raspberry PI 3b+

Here you can find all important communications from Volumio's staff

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby michelangelo » Fri Mar 16 2018 18:02

Here is a Volumio image for Raspberry PI 3B+

http://updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 ... pi.img.zip

As always, before releasing to the public, it would be very helpful if you guys could test it (not only 3b+ owners, but all PI owners, so we understand if this release breaks something for previous iterations)

See my review of the Raspberry PI 3B+ here: https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-3-b-plus-audio-review/

Really eager to know your feedbacks!
michelangelo
Founder

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby macmpi » Fri Mar 16 2018 18:54

As a matter of fact, older Pi3/Pi0W owners having intermittent wifi problems with built-in HW may want to give that image a shot, as it may improve things too.
Thanks for feedback.
New User? Welcome! Please allow 8mn for first boot, and while the wait, be sure to carefully read Quick-start instructions and FAQ ;)
Question? please use search form first, and if posting for a problem, submit logs.
macmpi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby AndrewHeard » Sat Mar 17 2018 06:53

I've just installed 2.382 on an RPi3B (not a 3B+). I streamed webradio over wifi > disconnected router ADSL > reconnected ADSL > webradio not resumed/ reconnected. Hotspot:ON Hotspot fallback:OFF.

However, when I click Pause > click Play > webradio is resumed
Random avatar
AndrewHeard
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby dangermouse » Sat Mar 17 2018 18:26

Thanks for this new image.

Tried it on the 3b+ and couldnt get the volumio app on android (nexus 9 and 7 and samsung s8) to recognize it when voulumio was on wifi but tried finding on a browser and ok since then on the app. Weird.

The lan is noisy as described. The conection on wireless is very good and got DSD at 11.28 mhz with no skips or stuttering!
I can't be sure but I think it sounds better than a standard pi3. Will have to try some listening next week as I have no time right now.
My pi is powered by battery btw, into a smsl sanskrit pro-b usb dac.
Keith
dangermouse
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby macmpi » Sat Mar 17 2018 19:10

dangermouse wrote:My pi is powered by battery btw, into a smsl sanskrit pro-b usb dac.
Mind that Pi3+ is known to have significantly higher power requirements than Pi3:
Note that Raspberry Pi 3B+ does consume substantially more power than its predecessor. We strongly encourage you to use a high-quality 2.5A power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply.
New User? Welcome! Please allow 8mn for first boot, and while the wait, be sure to carefully read Quick-start instructions and FAQ ;)
Question? please use search form first, and if posting for a problem, submit logs.
macmpi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby ImmortalWombat » Sat Mar 17 2018 20:40

Thanks for this.

I initially ran into issues on my very first encounter with Raspberry Pi itself and Volumio v2.378 - would not boot on 3B+ ...didn't appear to detect SDCARD (4 long then 4 short flashes on LED). I overcame this by copying over the .elf files but this once booted lead to issues with disabled WiFi.

The release posted here has resolved these issues and boots fine. I am a total novice so haven't really investigated many features yet, but streaming web radio and AirPlay seem to work fine and wanted to feedback what I can.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Random avatar
ImmortalWombat
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby dangermouse » Sat Mar 17 2018 21:04

macmpi wrote:
dangermouse wrote:My pi is powered by battery btw, into a smsl sanskrit pro-b usb dac.
Mind that Pi3+ is known to have significantly higher power requirements than Pi3:
Note that Raspberry Pi 3B+ does consume substantially more power than its predecessor. We strongly encourage you to use a high-quality 2.5A power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply.

My battery power pack is an EasyAcc with 2.1amp on the output I use. I would have thought that was enough on battery. :?:
Keith
dangermouse
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby AndrewHeard » Sat Mar 17 2018 21:58

AndrewHeard wrote:I've just installed 2.382 on an RPi3B (not a 3B+). I streamed webradio over wifi > disconnected router ADSL > reconnected ADSL > webradio not resumed/ reconnected. Hotspot:ON Hotspot fallback:OFF. However, when I click Pause > click Play > webradio is resumed
Is there some log file I can create & forward for someone to diagnose this problem?
Random avatar
AndrewHeard
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby Sigius4 » Mon Mar 19 2018 17:58

Today test on 3b+ I2S on Soekris DAM1021
WEB radio plays OK
But when try to play ZZTop flac 44.1 16bit Soekris did not locked.
Resolved problem when turned on audio resampling.
BUT, here comes strange behavior.
I set 32Bit - Locked and playing!
I set 768Khz - Locked and playing!
Soekris supports only 24Bit 384khz only
So I don't understand how actually resampling works.

Youtube plug in drops error: "Browse error An error occurred while browsing the folder."
Random avatar
Sigius4
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby skikirkwood » Tue Mar 20 2018 02:55

michelangelo wrote:Here is a Volumio image for Raspberry PI 3B+

http://updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 ... pi.img.zip

As always, before releasing to the public, it would be very helpful if you guys could test it (not only 3b+ owners, but all PI owners, so we understand if this release breaks something for previous iterations)

See my review of the Raspberry PI 3B+ here: https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-3-b-plus-audio-review/

Really eager to know your feedbacks!

Just got my Pi 3 B+, flashed the above image, hooked up the new Pi to my Modi 2 Multi-bit - and the sound was incredible! Still need to test out some hi-res, but I never got the Pi 3 working well with the Modi 2, due to packet loss I believe, so this is very encouraging! Thanks for the quick turnaround on the Pi 3 B+ image Michelangelo!
Volumio 2 on Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC, Volumio 2 on Raspberry Pi 3, IQAudio Pi-DAC+, Schiit Freya preamp, Bryston 3b power amp, B&W 803 speakers
skikirkwood
Objectivist
Objectivist

Next

Return to Staff comunications