My Volumio build

2018-04-29 16.21.12s.jpgMy Volumio build using RPi 3B, HiFiBerry DAC +, RemotePi Board etc.

I’m using a DOUK Audio amp case - it doesn’t need the heatsinks but the price was good. :wink:

XP Power 5V 4.4A PSU.

I’ve just got the RemotePi Board (slow, from Thailand) and will be installing it this w/e.

Just internal HDD and RemotePi Board to add…
2018-04-28 13.19.57.jpg

HDD in place, switch to wire…
2018-04-30 22.03.41.jpg

The reception of the WiFi signal, is not deteriorated when using an aluminum box?

I’m not actually using the wi-fi, as I’ve got it connected wired on the home gigabit network.
If I do need wi-fi there are three options…

1. See if it’s OK as it is.
  2. Use an external USB wireless dongle.
  3. I do have a 6mm hole on the rear panel for a R-SMA connector for external antenna. I can either mod the RPi for an external wi-fi antenna (fiddly), or swap the RPi for an ASUS Tinkerboard which does have an antenna connector.

The main pain is connecting the RemotePi power control / IR board as the DAC doesn’t pass the GPIOs through the board, so, I’ll have to add a 12 pin header to the DAC board (which does have a set of spare holes).
The RemotePi board supports IR control and will learn IR codes too…

I’ve also got to make a perforated aluminium cover plate for the PSU which should reduce any EM noise.
DC power from the XP Power PSU is very clean and I don’t need to filter it - I put a ferrite on for luck.

OK, further testing shows RPi’s WiFi does work from inside the case - at least the length of the room anyway.

This is a gew braw piece o’ wirk.
Thank you for sharing it, where did you get the case and the oher bits from?

— Gé —

Case is DOUK Audio from eBay
ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Am … 2749.l2649

PSU is XP POWER, CU20-10, PSU, OPEN PCB, 20W, 5V, again via eBay

DAC is HiFi Berry Pro + and the yet to be fitted power control board is RemotePi from MSL Digital

Most of the USB, HDMI and Network extension cables came via Amazon UK

The IR remote is from an Apple TV

Tablet is an old Nexus 7 I had gathering dust…

A big help with the build was using CAD. I’ve got Rhino 3D at work, so I did much of the prototyping and layout in CAD.

The only fiddly bit was filing out the openings on the rear panel - drill and file…

I looked at getting it CNC machined (from the CAD layout) but couldn’t find anywhere local to do it for a reasonable price.

The front panel was a bit of work too. It’s very soft aluminium (Looks to be pure Al not a harder alloy), and it marks and dents very easily, so I had to re-finish it after drilling. Lots of Wet and Dry paper.
Rhino 3D PiDAC.jpg

2018-06-02 12.22.03_resize.jpg

After having some intermittent problems with “ALSA device not present” I traced the problem to the power supply. Despite being set to 5.3V the ouput voltage was sometimes sagging to 5.1V and although the RPi was happy with this, the DAC wasn’t.

I replaced the XP Power PSU with a MeanWell 6A unit from RS.

This has a much wider range of adjustment and I set the VDC at 5.35V leaving the new LC filter board.

So far everything is totally solid.

I’ve just got the IR control (Apple using lirc) to sort outnow; Power on/off via the RemotePi board works but play/pause/stop don’t yet…

RS Power Supply Switch Mode 5V 6A 30W Stock no.: 1034669) £16.00

eBay 6A EMI DC Power Supply Filter Board For Car Speaker Power Amplifier Filtering) £2.70

Mating connectors for the PSU from petelox on eBay
JST (JAPAN SOLDERLESS TERMINALS) - VHR-2N - CRIMP HOUSING, 2WAY, 3.96MM
JST (JAPAN SOLDERLESS TERMINALS) - VHR-3N - CRIMP HOUSING 3WAY 3.96MM
JST (JAPAN SOLDERLESS TERMINALS) - BVH-21T-P1.1 - CRIMP SOCKET, 0.33-0.83MM

2018-05-26 14.36.08_resize.jpg
For the IR receiver (comes with the RemotePi) I was going to modify a matching power switch with a wee IR window style of thing.
I thought I’d try something simpler first, so I drilled a 3mm hole with a countersunk edge and found it works perfectly.

Final task is to sort out lirc. I have to change the location of the config file I think…

The LED runs off the RemotePi and cycles RGB while booting, is green while running, flashes red while shutting down and goes off when the RPi has shut down.

I’ve made a small cut-out in the base of the case, under the RPi, to allow access to the microSD card.

All up it works great and has all my music (approx 380GB), mostly FLAC, on the internal 500GB HDD.
Adding tracks is simply a matter of dragging into the shared Music folder and updating the db in Volumio.

All up it’s cost approx GB£200 but much of that is for the funky case etc.