Visaton ARIA LIGHT DIY speaker

I would like to present you my loudspeaker project Visaton ARIA Light with moderate modifications.

Visaton offers the small-sized 2-band shelf-top speaker ARIA with four different assemblies, up to high end versions. I have chosen cheapest variation “Light” because in this version the system has a considerable bass foundation and a separate subwoofer is not required. The rated power is 30W and the maximum power is 50W at a nominal impedance of 8 Ohm.

VisatonAriaLight1.jpg

You get a DIY kit with all components like tweeter, woofer, crossover etc. but not the wooden cabinet. The instruction is clearly written in English and German language, please see on Visaton web site visaton.de/en/bauvorschlaege … index.html . The connections of the electric components have to be soldered.

The cabinet material is designed for MDF or chipboard material, which you can get at any hardware store. My modification was to use massive beech glulam wood. This type of wood is harder and should be better for the sound quality. The wood has a nice grain and needs no extra veneer coating.
The ready-made front panel, I’ve ordered on Ebay in MDF material with all cuts, because I have no router or milling machine.
ebay.de/itm/Schallwande-fur … SwkZhWRixw

I’ve painted the front panel in black colour. All beech wood parts I’ve coated with clear paint.

The second modification was at the back wall. The instruction says to put the cross over inside the case, only wrapped, but not fixed. I have assembled the cross over on to the back wall with four hanger bolts (Stockschraube), which I have found on Ebay. The hanger bolts have at one side a M5 metric thread and at the opposite a woodscrew thread.

VisatonAriaLight2.jpg

The back wall I have assembled with ten screws to get it removable for a repair or a later upgrade with different high end tweeters or woofers.
I feed the speakers with a Hifiberry AMP+, which is designed for 4 Ohm impedance, but 8 Ohm are also permitted. Beethoven’s 5th was my first test run music. The sound is quite nice and firm.