Touchsreen not functional

Pi3b, waveshare 7" touchscreen, the plugin was installed 2 days ago, the screen can be displayed very well, but the touch panel doesn’t work.
But although touch panel doesn’t work, I can still touch the setting icon once, and make the setting menu popped up, but only once, then it doesn’t work again on that area.

Does anyone here experience this issue? :question: :question:

I’m going to reinstall the plugin, hope it can work.

Hi telar,

I would like to help but need some more information:

What specific waveshare touchscreen do you have?

How is it connected and what did you do software wise to install it?

Did you do anything to change the display and/or touch orientation? If so, please describe the changes that have been made.

Did you have an older version of the touch display plugin (<1.1.1) installed previously?

Does the touch functionality completely fail or “only” in the area that has been touched once?

Do you see any error messages on the UI or in the logs? If so, please post them.

Hi Gvolt, many thanks for your kindness. Please see my answer as followed:

What specific waveshare touchscreen do you have?
My touchscreen is the official 7’’ touch screen.

How is it connected and what did you do software wise to install it?
I actually installed the touch plugin first, and then wired the SDA and SCL cables.

Did you do anything to change the display and/or touch orientation? If so, please describe the changes that have been made.
Yes, I reversed the display in the touch plugin settings, cause with the official 7’’ screen case, Volumio displayed up side down, that’s why I did a reserve for the display.

Did you have an older version of the touch display plugin (<1.1.1) installed previously?
No, I installed the plugin for the first time on August 18. But it took pretty long time to install, and waited many time at the point of 70%, but finally it was installed successfully after around 20 minutes.

Does the touch functionality completely fail or “only” in the area that has been touched once?
I tried couple of times to reboot the PI, and every time when it started, the “only” area can be touchable, but only once, I can’t even unfold the menu.

Do you see any error messages on the UI or in the logs? If so, please post them.
No, I don’t see error, it works very good except the touch screen.

Do you also have the DSI (white ribbon cable) connected? If so, remove the dedicated SDA and SCL cables. They are only required for old Model A/B boards where the DSI connector does not have I2C connections, not the 3B you have. If you didn’t use the white ribbon cable at all, try it instead of the SDA and SCL cables.

Did you test the touch functionality without flipping the display and what was the result?

Could you open an SSH session to Volumio from where you can watch the live journal with sudo journalctl -f while you start or stop the plugin or when you touch the screen?

Hi Gvolt,

Thanks for your patience.

I think the cable was wired correctly, GND, 5v, SDA and SCL, cause I followed exact the same the process as Volumio website posted.

And I just tested to flip the display to the original reversed setting, it still didn’t work.

I’m not familiar with SSH. I plan to uninstalled the plugin and reinstall it maybe at this weekend. Will keep you updated.

Thank you -)

Maybe I misunderstood: Is my assumption wrong that you have an original Raspberry Foundation 7" touch display? If you have the Raspberry touch display I think you don’t have to use the SDA and SCL cables but (only) the DSI ribbon cable with a Pi 3B.

Could you post the link where the process you have been following is described?

Just precautionarily you may also check the display connectors - especially the touch sensor FPC connector - as shown here: https://forums.pimoroni.com/t/raspberry-pi-official-7-touchscreen-assembly/1132

Hi Gvolt,

You are right. I opened the screen case last night, and found I had DSI cable connected, then I removed the SDA and CLA cable from GPIO pins. But … the issue still existed. But I found it could be the DSI cable which caused this issue, it looks not good. I’ve ordered a new DSI cable, will be delivered in 2 days. Hope it will work. Thank you.

Hopefully the new DSI cable will solve your issue. Good luck!

HI Gvolt,

Just a quick update. Finally it turns out it’s the hardware issue of my touch screen. Cause I replaced the DSI cable, it still didn’t work. Then I plug my TF card to my friend’s PI3, it worked perfect.

Sorry to hear your display is faulty. But many thanks for the feedback!