Tinkerboard I2S DAC Compatibility: ApplePi DAC ?

DACs and Wireless Dongle Compatibility Thread. Post wether a particular device is working or not in Volumio

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Electric » Sun Dec 09 2018 18:21

Hi,

Does anyone know if volumio will recognize the ApplePi DAC on the Asus Tinkerboard? Is it just a case of updating the dacs.json file, adding ApplePi to the Tinkerboard array as described here > https://volumio.github.io/docs/I2S_DACs ... r_DAC.html ?

If it is then will volumio update the DAC JSON file in a future update to include more DACS on the tinker like the Applepi DAC. If not do you know if there is a plan for future work on compatibility to include DACs like the ApplePi on Tinkerboard with Volumio?

Thanks
Random avatar
Electric
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby orchardaudio » Mon Dec 10 2018 12:15

Please let me know if I can be of any help in getting ApplePi DAC supported on Tinkerboard.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby gkkpch » Sat Dec 22 2018 17:39

No, unfortunately it is not just a matter of volumio configuration, the DAC must be supported as well.
Asus is fairly open to the idea of integrating more DAC products, they do support a number of them already.

For the Apple PI it means, unless it uses existing DAC drivers, time and effort is required for kernel driver integration (we do not support out-of-tree).
We have done this with Asus kernel for tinkerboard before, so in principle we have the knowledge, but this is not the way we prefer it .

@orchardaudio: it is probably in your interest if you yourself could convince Asus to integrate the driver.
If you need contact names, please send me an email at volumio(at)bluewin.ch
I will introduce you. Once Asus is convinced, we will help with adding it to Volumio and the testing (DAC required as I don't have one)
Volumio OS Developer

You like my work? Then what about buying me a beer :)
gkkpch

Postby orchardaudio » Mon Mar 04 2019 00:13

gkkpch wrote:@orchardaudio: it is probably in your interest if you yourself could convince Asus to integrate the driver.
If you need contact names, please send me an email at volumio(at)bluewin.ch
I will introduce you. Once Asus is convinced, we will help with adding it to Volumio and the testing (DAC required as I don't have one)

I just saw this. Please send me the contact info to get driver integrated for Tinkerboard.

Also do you know if they have the RPI-DAC driver integrated if that driver is integrated it is fully compatible with the ApplePi DAC and the soon to be released PecanPi DAC.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Wed Mar 06 2019 14:05

I have send a message to the Asus contact but have not heard back yet.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Sun Mar 10 2019 23:42

orchardaudio wrote:I have send a message to the Asus contact but have not heard back yet.

I got reply back from Asus, they are looking into it.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Fri Mar 15 2019 19:17

orchardaudio wrote:
orchardaudio wrote:I have send a message to the Asus contact but have not heard back yet.

Asus has finished porting the driver over to the tinkerboard system, I will work with them to test it. Looks like tinkerboard support is not far away for the PecanPi DAC.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Mon Mar 18 2019 23:26

orchardaudio wrote:
orchardaudio wrote:

Asus has finished porting the driver over to the tinkerboard system, I will work with them to test it. Looks like tinkerboard support is not far away for the PecanPi DAC.

I got a modified kernel from Asus, will be testing it out in the next week or so.

Edit:
At this time I do not have a completion date for tinkerboard support. It will be done and I will continue to post updates here.
Last edited by orchardaudio on Thu May 16 2019 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Wed May 15 2019 00:19

I got an image from Asus which loads the overlay for the device and is able to play music files.

However there are still issues to be resolved.
  • When I have audacity play a 1kHz test file the output of the device is 977Hz instead of 1kHz, this works correctly on a Raspberry Pi.
  • THD+N is about 25dB worse when playing the 1kHz file compared to using Rapsberry Pi (this might be related to generating the wrong frequency).

I will continue to work with Asus to get all issues correct and be able to provide full support with Tinkerboard.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Return to Compatibility List