suggested hardware to replace Airport Express

Hello, I’m looking into a replacement for an Apple Airport Express – and as I’m rather overwhelmed by the products in the volumio shop, I’m asking for advice.

Which hardware (bundle) would you suggest to achieve the following setup:

• connection to network via Ethernet (or wireless, in case that’s more common)
  • output either analogue RCA/cinch or digital USB
  • connected with Nubert NuPro active monitor speakers (which provide RCA and USB input)
  • Airplay compatibility (or ideally: Airplay 2, but I assume that will be available as OS upgrade in the future)
  • no fans, quick wake from sleep, low power consumption (I plan to keep it always on, just like the Airport Express)
  • configuration (e.g. for setup) via web interface or Mac/iOS app

I do not need a second RCA line out (for e.g. a subwoofer), the only thing that might be interesting (in case it’s supported by volumio) is connecting both left and right speaker with each a separate USB cable. The reason: their default setup is the left speaker connected to RCA or USB in, and a single cinch leading to the right speaker – which probably means that the right speaker will have to use its internal DAC to re-digitize the signal, even if the left speaker is connected via USB. Until now I’ve connected the speakers analogue only and find that quality is completely sufficient, even knowingly that means re-digitizing the audio.

I don’t own any hardware I could use for this (e.g. a Raspberry Pi, MacMini,…), I have no experience with either volumio nor Raspberry Pi, and would prefer to stay in a price range of $80-$150 for all hardware needed – unless someone can convince me that the audio quality will be significantly better with a more expensive setup, even when playing iTunes AAC files as source and only using medium price range speakers (about $1000).

Thanks a lot for any hardware suggestion or link to beginner guides!

It’s not obvious that there’s a single answer to this, because there’s so many answers. The minimum you need is a RPi 3+, a DAC, a power supply and something to keep the dust off. It then comes down to cost versus what you like the look of. Feed the speakers via RCA, feed the Pi via whatever works for you, and then just try stuff out. I use the HiFiBerry DAC Pro and it sounds good to me with my setup but that’s true only for me; YMMV… :slight_smile:

Thanks. As I cannot find the “HiFiBerry DAC Pro” you mentioned in the volumio shop, can you suggest any specific DAC (I assume you are referring to I2S DACs?) and case that will work well with a RPi 3+ from the volumio shop, preferrably in the lower price range? Or is there a bundle you can suggest? (I’d prefer that)

Looking at the Volumio bundles, I’d suggest the IQAudio one, preferably with the PI-DAC Pro option. It gives a good intro to the world of SBC players and the DAC has the advantage of an integrated headphone amp as well. Don’t think you can go wrong with that…

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!