My struggle with pops, clicks etc.

After the positive experiences with ArchLinux today I played around a little bit with raspian latest:
2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.img
Don’t know, why they don’t deliver linux-headers for their kernel. So I installed this one:

uname -a Linux raspberrypi 3.10-3-rpi #1 Debian 3.10.11-1+rpi3 (2014-01-01) armv6l GNU/Linux
Then I compiled the module for HiFace1. And:

No pops etc. until 96/24. 192/24 - sometimes clean, somtimes a few glitches…

A few more tweaks:
/etc/fstab:

tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
removed a few services:

ls /etc/rc2.d/ K07nfs-common S01motd S02autofs S02ssh S04rmnologin README S01rpcbind S02dbus S03mpd S01ifplugd S01sudo S02ntp S04rc.local

Disabled: bash-history, swap
Enable: rt-Mode for mpd

I hope there are a few more optimizations for 192/24? Do you have some hints? TIA
BTW: OC doesn’t help.

I tried also RT with PI, but this doesn’t help at all… It worsened a lot the things for me.
The real deal is finding the correct wsize and rsize for your very own network. Plus correclty setting the hardware mixer.
With the Raspberry PI the real weak point is the USB ethernet BUS, so disabling services has a relatively small impact on glitches. What you can do is avoid to overstress the usage of USB and Ethernet.
I advise you also to tinker a little with niceness, what youre looking for is alsa process, mpd and cifs. Find the right combination for you, but avoid giving mpd RT priority, try to give higher priority to CIFS service instead.
Let me know :wink:

I use an iMic with 44/16 output (I think, surely no more than 48/20) and no settings for the wsize and rsize and I have never heard any click.

@michelangelo

ACK. But a few annotations:

1. I prefer nfs. They say it produces less overhead…
  2. I have more trouble, if a USB-Device is the music-directory.
  3. When I applied rt to volumio-mpd, there was indeed no advantage.
  4. In my opinion the first improvement should be reduction of write-operations. This has most effect on avoiding pops etc.

I’ll test nice. THX

@Lag-na
44/16 are indeed never a problem. But with HiRes there are much more bits and bytes for the USB-bus.

USB and Ethernet are shared, so it is the same if you use USB and USB with DAC.
Yeah the problem is relevant especially with Async-DACs at hi-res.
I also think that reducing SD writes is a step forward, what did you manage? I also implemented logging to RAM, but got to recreate the files everytime… Did you came up with something more sensible?

I don’t save the logs. Relevant things I can see within one session. And informations while booting are shown with dmesg.

Pehaps I’m wrong: But my opinion is at the moment, that indeed reducing operations on the USB-BUS (Network, HDs, DACs) is a good thing. A simple ssh-connection may increase the chance for pops etc. And unfortunately a Webserver (rpi) + Browser (client) may produce more network-traffic than a client like gmpc, who talks direktly with mpd. Which network-tool can check this? At this moment I hear for hours 192/24 with only a very few clicks - no ssh, no Web-GUI, only gmpc.

I do absolutely agree with you. Reducing SD writings and network activity is a good way to follow. I’m going also in this direction. Using nginx instead of Apache is a choice made with that in mind. But we need webserver, so I’m going to enlight the web part even more…
Do you have something specific to share about that?

Not really. Only a few experiments:

1. My ArchLinux: Play music and do pacman -S apache. Music is playing nearly clean.
  2. Raspian: apt-get install lighttpd: Horrible. Forget the music. :wink:
    Don’t know, what’s the difference with the two Linux-Distributions.
    nginx I have never tested.

And an idea:
Is there a tool which can reduce the priority of webservers ports? And increases the priority of smb/nfs-ports? Ok, that would be no solution for USB-Devices.

Back to Volumio and it’s nice Web-GUI. :wink:

After the struggle with nginx/php/log/tmpfs and the reduction of writes on the SD.Card now HiRes (88-192/24) is playing (nearly) clean. A great step forward. :smiley:

And the little next step:
Put the mpd-database files etc. (state, sticker.sql, tag_cache, playlists-dir) into tmpfs (don’t forget to edit /etc/mpd.conf). Save/restore these files in /etc/init.d/mpd (start/stop-sections). You’ll get less writes on SD-Card while listening music.

@Melomane

Can you please post/document more details about your nginx/php/log/mpd SD to RAM write tweaks? Very interested in that.

Tried to disable “7s php logging” myself with rather limited success.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

there a few chapters. :wink:

1. Add these lines to /etc/fstab:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0 tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0 tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0 tmpfs /var/mail tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
Edit /etc/init.d/mpd:

mpd_start () { mkdir /var/log/mpd
After reboot these directories will be mounted in a ramdisc.

1. If Volumio-Web-UI is not accessible, create a script like this:

cat > /usr/local/bin/restart-volumio-gui << EOF #!/bin/sh killall player_wdog.sh killall player_wrk.php /var/www/command/player_wdog.sh startup & > /dev/null 2>&1 /etc/init.d/atd stop EOF

and edit:
a) the file /var/www/command/orion_optimize.sh

#killall -9 atd

b) the file /var/www/_OS_SETTINGS/etc/rc.local

/bin/echo '/usr/local/bin/restart-volumio-gui' | /usr/bin/at now + 2min exit 0
Make executable /usr/local/bin/restart-volumio-gui (chmod +x).

The Web-ui should be accessible after 2 minutes after reboot.

1. Disable the whole php-log: edit /var/www/_OS_SETTINGS/etc/php5/cli/php.ini

;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT error_reporting = off
Or try this:
php-errors-t244.html#p2030

That’s what I did in volumio. But that may be not enough and is not very elegant. Unfortunately my other mpd-installations (plain raspian and arch linux) are running much better and are playing without clicks etc. Volumio and runeaudio are playing the one day without any clicks, the next day it can be horrible. I don’t know why … Let’s wait for the next version of volumio. :wink:

Addendum:

Edit /etc/mpd.conf:

db_file "/tmp/tag_cache" sticker_file "/tmp/sticker.sql" playlist_directory "/tmp/playlists" state_file "/tmp/state"

Create two scripts:

cat > /usr/local/bin/restore-mpd-files.sh << EOF #!/bin/sh cp -a /var/lib/mpd/state /tmp cp -a /var/lib/mpd/playlists/ /tmp cp -a /var/lib/mpd/tag_cache /tmp cp -a /var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql /tmp EOF

cat > /usr/local/bin/save-mpd-files.sh << EOF #!/bin/sh cp -a /tmp/state /var/lib/mpd/ cp -a /tmp/playlists /var/lib/mpd/ cp -a /tmp/tag_cache /var/lib/mpd/ cp -a /tmp/sticker.sql /var/lib/mpd/ EOF

Make them executable (chmod +x ). Execute /usr/local/bin/restore-mpd-files.sh.

Edit /etc/init.d./mpd

mpd_start () { mkdir -p /var/log/mpd /usr/local/bin/restore-mpd-files.sh
and

mpd_stop () { (...) start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --retry 5 --pidfile "$PIDFILE" \ --exec $DAEMON /usr/local/bin/save-mpd-files.sh log_end_msg $? }

All changes of files do as root.

HTH

Edit: I’ve forgotten the bash-history. Add to /root/.bashrc:

unset HISTFILE unset HISTFILESIZE unset HISTSIZE
Also for .bashrc of the useraccount you’re logging in with ssh.

Wow! Thanks very much Melomane.

…I’ll need some time to “digest” all this… :wink: Thanks again.

I have also been getting short, random and occasional pops using a raspyfi running volumio beta and tried to implement the changes posted by Melomane. Unfortunately I seem unable to get the GUI to start at all. Are there any mistakes or omissions in the changes as described?