no sound from RPi Zero W / Allo miniBOSS

Get help for Volumio here!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby ewill » Sat Nov 10 2018 23:53

Hi,

I just received two Allo systems preconfigured with Volumio. I'm wrestling with both. In both instances I am trying to run Wireless. I've gotten the RPi 3+ w/ Allo BOSS working but am having what I believe to be WiFi connectivity issues. The setup is tightly enclosed in Allo's beautiful aluminum box. I suspect it is blocking the WiFi signal despite Allo assuring me that it wouldn't be a problem. No conclusion on this one yet. I will let folks know when I solve that problem.

Sidestepping signal strength issues, I started working on the RPi Zero W / Allo miniBOSS setup. It appears to work, but I am not getting any sound out.

I am running a freshly downloaded (today) version of Volumio - System Version 2.502.

In configuring the DAC, I selected Allo BOSS as there was no mini BOSS option to select. I'm wondering if this is the problem.

In reviewing logs (journalctl | grep -i boss) , the snd-allo-boss-dac driver threw some errors:

kernel: snd-allo-boss-dac soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
kernel: snd-allo-boss-dac soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
(repeats 3x)
kernel: snd-allo-boss-dac soc:sound: pcm512x-hifi <-> 20203000.i2s mapping ok
alsactl[447]: No state is present for card BossDAC
alsactl[447]: Found hardware: "BossDAC" "" "" "" ""
alsactl[447]: No state is present for card BossDAC

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eric
Random avatar
ewill
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby ewill » Sun Nov 11 2018 02:41

Ok. Making some progress.

I happened to buy two of the Rpi Zero W / Allo miniBOSS packages. One of them works just fine. I followed identical configuration steps. (Different system names obviously.)

An additional symptom - I hear a single soft click when I select a Web Radio station to play on the web interface. So, it's trying. But no success.

Any ideas?

Eric
Random avatar
ewill
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby ChrisMcNeil » Sat Jul 13 2019 16:54

Hi Eric

How did you solve the "no sound" issue with the Raspberry Pi Zero with MiniBoss setup?

I'm having the same problem. Everything seems setup fine . . . but when I click "play" nothing happens.

(If an obvious/quick solution doesn't show up, I'm going to see what logging shows.)

Thanks

Chris
Random avatar
ChrisMcNeil
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Return to Help