[Guide] SMB/CIFS shares in Volumio 1.5

Guides to let you easily discover and enjoy Volumio

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

[Guide] SMB/CIFS shares in Volumio

Postby Lag-na » Fri Sep 11 2015 21:28

Nice info!
Random avatar
Lag-na

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby kwhilden » Thu Jan 14 2016 00:34

I finally got my apple Time Capsule disk connected to Volumio. It worked with only one advanced option: "sec=ntlm". Any additional options broke the connection.
Random avatar
kwhilden
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby Lag-na » Sun Jan 17 2016 16:22

Thanks
Random avatar
Lag-na

Postby WzL » Tue Oct 11 2016 09:37

MSH wrote:I ran into a problem with mounting a CIFS-mount: everytime I could not see the contents of the disk/partition after mounting it. The update process was finished within a second or so. No files to be seen (strangely I could do a search and then I found the name of a group or album or track, but I could not access any of them).

I checked the mount under /mnt/NAS and saw that the user/group of the mounted directory was "pi" and the permissions were "700" for all directories and "600" for all files. Via grep I saw that this was User ID 1000. I remembered that this is my local User ID on the system where I advertise the CIFS-mount from.
I went to the mount options in the Library settings and clicked on the "show advanced options". In the options "Mount Flags" I added ",uid=106" at the end (106 is the User ID of mpd in Volumio). After clicking the Save Mount the mount succeeded and the Updating icon started to spin. Now all my music is visible !!! :D

Connecting to a Debian Samba Network Share using Volumio (not the 2 version) on a Pi Zero, the above solution worked for me perfectly, thnks! 8-)
Random avatar
WzL
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby stobrx » Sun Jan 22 2017 15:10

Thanks MHD, adding uid=106 did the trick for me.

My smb server runs under Android. I first tried the Ice cold app which worked library scan wise right away (but had some performance issues). I then installed SambaDroid where the lib scan did not work (tried as guest as well as with user id & password). Shame that these things always turn out to be annoying. Well, at least MHD saved my day.
Random avatar
stobrx
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby aheuer6 » Sat May 27 2017 02:26

EasyNAS 0.6.5 working with mount flags: "ro,nounix,sec=ntlmv2"
Random avatar
aheuer6
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby PurelyNicole » Sat May 27 2017 16:05

My setup:

Running:
Volumio 2.129 on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Connecting to:
A USB hard drive on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B running Raspbian on my network.

Works with:
nounix,sec=ntlm
Random avatar
PurelyNicole
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby brangway » Mon Jan 08 2018 21:43

MSH wrote:I ran into a problem with mounting a CIFS-mount: everytime I could not see the contents of the disk/partition after mounting it. The update process was finished within a second or so. No files to be seen (strangely I could do a search and then I found the name of a group or album or track, but I could not access any of them).

I checked the mount under /mnt/NAS and saw that the user/group of the mounted directory was "pi" and the permissions were "700" for all directories and "600" for all files. Via grep I saw that this was User ID 1000. I remembered that this is my local User ID on the system where I advertise the CIFS-mount from.
I went to the mount options in the Library settings and clicked on the "show advanced options". In the options "Mount Flags" I added ",uid=106" at the end (106 is the User ID of mpd in Volumio). After clicking the Save Mount the mount succeeded and the Updating icon started to spin. Now all my music is visible !!! :D

Hi,

had the exact same problem on a fresh volumio2 installation on a raspberry pi 3.
The share is on a Thecus NAS N5500 with Firmware 5.03.02

Have also uploaded a log file (now unnecessary)
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/0sxsWsl.html

At first the solution didnt work.
Then i noticed with
Code: Select all
more /etc/passwd

that the user "mpd" got the uid 110 in my case

With the advanced option for the NAS share

Code: Select all
uid=110

it finally worked

Thanks MSH !

Have a nice evening
brangway
Random avatar
brangway
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

[Guide] SMB/CIFS shares in Volumio 1.5

Postby VioletGiraffe » Wed Aug 14 2019 08:16

Can't get a Windows 10 share to work. The folder is shared with "Read" permissions to "Everyone" and "Guest" (I did specifically enable the Guest user account). Password protected sharing is off, here are my Windows sharing settings:

I'm positive I have specified the parameters correctly in VolumIO web UI:

Tried "vers=2.0", "vers=1.0" to no avail. The problem is no matter what I do, login credentials are requested (user / password), and the UI does not let me enter the user name and leave password empty. This share has no password!!!

A bunch of other Windows PCs (Windows 7 and Windows 10) are able to view this share with no request for credentials at all. Any advice?

P. S. ES File Manager app on my Android phone is able to auto-detect this share and connect to it without requesting user name or password.
Random avatar
VioletGiraffe
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to Guides