SIMPLE OPINiON/DAC RECOMENDATION

Team,

Ok, if you’ve seen my posts over the past few months, I apologize, I know I appear to be a caffeinated 12yo fuled by raging hormones and a desire to blast Avril Lavigne at top volume!

And other than the age thing, you wouldn’t be horribly far off… but that’s almost beside the point.

As I suggested earlier I have my Volumio and HIFIBERRY DAC + running and happy.

Now I am confident/cocky and have 2 questions one of which asks advice/pinion from those of you who have successfully built a few of these…

1. Given that right now the most current RASPI is the 3B+ (right?) what is the BEST, mid level DAC /SOUND CARD without an AMP that you guys buy, pop on the pins and fire up VOLUMIO successfully on a regular basis?
    I was playing with the internet radio selections this morning and my wife got REALL excited, and now wants one in the bedroom and
    the stereo downstairs!. Really though, who can blame her though TO have Latvian Nose Flute Orchestrations AND Disney Park music as played
    on 3 string cigar box guitars, all at the touch of your fingers!
    But I don’t have 3 months to bang my head against a table and wear out every single possible piece/combination of hardware that I have
    dying for a combination that works!
    SO given the RASPI is $35 and I don’t ant to spend more than that on the DAC, plus Id LOVE to plug t in and work!, while NOT breaking the
    bank. After all I’m trying to build a SYNTH/Sampler at the same time…

2. In reference to the Web Radio Stations that are included - they really are neat, I spent WAY too much time playing with them this morning. When you select one and you hear an announcer talking about Radionomy apps or other SW in PLAY Store, does that mean that they are no longer supported or are now requiring a new version of something?

Thanks

J

Bedroom: pi 3b+ with active speakers using usb, like Audioengine A2+

Livingroom: Buy from Volumioshop. Either with DAC if you only have analog input into your amp. Or go for a digital out (like DigiOne) if your amp has digital in.

All simple and worry free [emoji16]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

sad part is right after I posted I realized that volumio HAS a shop… :frowning:

probably going to order a boss this weekend…

Have a look on this one, it is in terms of SNR at par with Katana, but costs only US-$ 99 vs. US-$ 300 the Katana-DAC: khadas.com/product-page/tone-board

Has been tested fine here, much better than Boss DAC: audiosciencereview.com/forum/in … -dac.4823/

It works perfect with Volumio as it is XMOS-208-based, furthermore you can feed also by coax, SNR: 120dB vs 93dB for Allo Boss!!!

I’d recommend HiFiBerry DAC+, Pro if you want to afford it. For a synth, take a look at Zynthian.org. I built one and it very nearly worked first time… A couple of dry points later, and it did work.

Chris M