Rpi 3b+ with iqaudio DAC+ how to use 20x4 lcd screen

Hi to the brains trust, I have an RPI 3B+ with volumio2 on it as well as the IQAUDIO DAC+ which hooked up to the NAS works fine infact really well.
I ant to attach a LCD screen of 20x4, bought online, to show some music information, there are various posts online about earlier volumio versions playing well with 16x2 screens but nothing I could find for the 20x4. As a complete noobie using RPIs as well as any sort of coding , I struggle.
I have attached the screen to the RPI3 using the 4 cables, Vcc gnd SDA and VCL [?] and it gets power and lights up 2 lines.
I managed to install a pluin called pydpiper, thinking that would make the lcd screen magically work,ha! no luck there.
I also tried to install one for the HD44780 plugin but that failed somewhere in the install and said those files are corrupt or similar and I dont know how to reinstall ordelete the first file attempt.
I assume there are settings that have to be changed somewhere and maybe some basic coding to make things work?
I can follow instructions well on what to do but just dont know the code steps and or where to find them.
Or is that being too naive about whats involved?

Part 2 is do I need to have a momentary switch on this to make the transition from off to on less dramatic a change. Is there any specific way to install this, I have used GPIO pins for the screen , just the 5v, gnd, etc can a switch still be used?
Any advice or links to make things work will be appreciated.
Thanks

I am using the pydpiper plugin installed and with the screen contrast adjusted nicely it will start playing and showing info for about 2 minutes and then the screen is full of rubbish text and symbols. Anyone know how to fix that? Thanks