[PROPOSAL] Require plugins to be uploaded to Plugins repo

Discuss, contribute and orient Volumio development!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Saiyato » Sun Nov 19 2017 12:26

Another thing I've been having trouble with is the platform, not all plugins work on all platforms.
This is something the store will have to sort out too, if a platform is not supported, the plugin needs to be hidden.

Some examples:

- Kodi; the repo I have added probably doesn't work for x86 (or anything else than armhf really)
- Snapcast; should be supported, but I'm not sure, since you'll probably have to build from code (not my forté in Linux)

And there are probably many more examples you can think of. We might even want to split the packages to reduce size and script for the different platforms. Just thinking out loud here...
Just.Love.Music.
Saiyato
Golden Ear
Golden Ear

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Fightclub » Fri Nov 24 2017 19:20

I have to say I appreciate the move to get a bit more structure into the currently rather chaotic set of plugins.

In my opinion it would be perfectly fine to not be able to upload plugins yourself from the plugin section. It is however crucial to be able to upload from the /dev page.

Saiyato wrote:Another thing I've been having trouble with is the platform, not all plugins work on all platforms.
This is something the store will have to sort out too, if a platform is not supported, the plugin needs to be hidden.

I would suggest to adopt some features of Apples AppStore:
If users like to test plugins before their official publication, they can register as beta testers. Whether it is on a per app basis or in genera ... don't know.
Furthermore, the plugin (package.json?) should specify on which platforms it is known to be supported. In the plugin section you can then select whether you only want to show plugins for your platform or all. Just like in the AppStore on iPad you can select whether you want apps optimized for iPad or also for iPhone. If you select the latter you must expect it not to work properly.

michelangelo wrote:- We could insert a rating function in the plugin facility and a way to signal an issue directly to the developer, to streamline issue detection (long term plan as well, as lot of work is required)

Maybe we could use something like https://github.com/dkhamsing/new_issue (5 sec google, maybe there exist better options) to streamline github issue creation directly from within volumio. Using a dedicated Volumio issue account, users would be able to just enter a problem message and the script would be adding some more informations about platform, build version, etc. and create a Github issue. This would simplify bug tracking for both sides, in my opinion.
Fightclub
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby michelangelo » Fri Dec 01 2017 19:04

Ok, today we've implemented a way to simulate a real install (and therefore to install :D ) from the plugin helper.

This way devs would have an easy way to try their plugins and to install them ;)

Just go into the folder where the source of the plugin is and type:
Code: Select all
volumio plugin install

More info:
https://volumio.github.io/docs/Plugin_S ... lugin.html

This will be part of next release, due soon

I also posted a call to action for all plugin developers to start publishing their plugins:

To all plugin developers: in order to streamline the plugin discovery process and make life easier for our users, please start publishing the plugins which are reasonably stable. You can do it easily with the plugin helper. See: https://volumio.github.io/docs/Plugin_S ... lugin.html

Once you send the Pull Request, your plugin will be reviewed and eventually published for all the available platforms.
More info: require-plugins-uploaded-plugins-repo-t8

Thanks to everyone contributing ;)
michelangelo
Founder

Postby judydudi » Fri Dec 01 2017 20:33

michelangelo wrote:More info: require-plugins-uploaded-plugins-repo-t8

Hi, your link is shocking me :D
judydudi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby ashthespy » Wed Dec 06 2017 17:00

On the topic of plugin development, would it be possible to avoid having the clone the entire volumio plugin repo for some simple dev work?
i.e look into keep each plugin in its own repo à la Atom packages which is based on npm.

This would really help in making issue reporting and general package maintenance much more stream lined.
ashthespy
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby tomatpasser » Sun Dec 10 2017 11:28

I agree with most points in here. It would be good to have more consistent quality of the plugins and more plugins in the store.

I have been a bit inactive on here, meaning the development is at a standstill but I try to give support and make sure the plugin still works when volumio is updated.

The new plugin helper looks interesting. I have a question however; does it support selection of architectures? If a plugin is only for some platforms and doesn't work for others?
Raspberry Pi 2 | Pi-DigiAMP+ | EW-7811UAC Wifi adapter
tomatpasser
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby ROLO » Mon Dec 11 2017 19:42

I'm also very much in favour of more plugins via the Volumio plugin page. I have tried out one or two plugins from the forums in the past, but some installation issues and doubts about quality and updates makes me reluctant to try again.

A reviewed and approved set of plugins installable via the Volumio web interface would make life much easier for the majority of users, who, I think, often don't even know exactly what variety of great plugins is available.

BTW, an (auto-) update mechanism for the plugins would be essential.

(Someone who agrees ;) multiroom-and-synced-multiroom-should-built-t8264.html)
Random avatar
ROLO
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby michelangelo » Mon Dec 11 2017 20:19

I am happy we are all converging to a common goal.
I've invited devs to submit their plugins to the repo, but so far no joy... I think that the removal of plugin upload will happen in next release, and hope that will give the extra bit of motivation needed.
michelangelo
Founder

Postby macmpi » Mon Dec 11 2017 21:54

2 questions on new release & enhancements:
- will install from Volumio2 /dev page be also possible?
- will pluginhelper allow developer to resume plugin development from a new/reset Volumio2 install (i.e not create a new plugin, but pull an existing one to do further work on it)
New User? Welcome! Please allow 8mn for first boot, and while the wait, be sure to carefully read Quick-start instructions and FAQ ;)
Question? please use search form first, and if posting for a problem, submit logs.
macmpi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby michelangelo » Mon Dec 11 2017 23:47

macmpi wrote:2 questions on new release & enhancements:
- will install from Volumio2 /dev page be also possible?
- will pluginhelper allow developer to resume plugin development from a new/reset Volumio2 install (i.e not create a new plugin, but pull an existing one to do further work on it)

- No, but plugins can be installed from command line
- Yes absolutely
michelangelo
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Development talks