Qobuz offline album playing

Hello,
I’m new user on volumio.
what a good player!
I’ve purchased 1year on myvolumio to have native Qobuz integrated.(it’s normal to pay devs I think).
But, probably I’m not the only one to have uggly internet connection. So I would like volumio have offline storage albums on Qobuz to play them without problem.(like android or desktop qobuz app)
please please please like James B said
I’m on a raspberry pi3b with Allo boss dac
With Qobuz CD flac quality

I would like that very much too! Please Volumio developers! Pretty please!

Yes, please!

I dont believe Qobuz would allow that. More than likely, any API for downloading music would be private and protected and never allowed on an open-source project. I am betting that when you download music to your phone you can ONLY play it via the Qobuz app and cant find the files anywhere!

Android lets apps have a private storage area that can only be read by the app that wrote the data, amd they may add encryption as well to protect from rooted users bypassing this security. Allowing volumio to download songs means you could then share those songs to others with basically no effort.

As a workaround, you might be able to play offline songs from your phone to Volumio via UPNP/DLNA.

1 Like

Huh… Didn’t think of it that way and it saddens me to say that this might just be the crual truth you’re speaking :sleepy:

Sniffle…

Hmm, that isn’t strictly true - Spotify’s SDKs come with functionality for caching to save bandwidth. This allows you to store the encrypted file, letting you play it only via the SDK.

But at the end of the day it depends on Qobuz’s SDK, and also Volumio’s implementation of it :slight_smile:

You are missing an important aspect. The SDK would need to decrypt the file to play it. You would not be able to include the SDK in an open source project because the SDK cant be open source.

I’m kinda surprised that any Spotify or Tidal streaming is possible via open-source since I could easily modify the code to send the data to disk rather than to an alsa playback device. Hopefully, no one exploits that hole and causes the media streaming providers to close their APIs.

I’m no lawyer, but that would against the TOS of the streaming service…
Moreover, Qobuz and Tidal streaming isn’t part of the open-source Volumio, it’s a MyVolumio feature (paid, closed source).
Spotify in the past had an publicly available libspotify SDK, but no more. The current Spotify connect implementation is based on a librespot, which was completely reverses engineered.

With all these streaming services, you now need to be a hardware partner, and then you get a SDK + certs/keys for specific hardware. I am actually quite curious how myVolumio overcomes this, releasing images for a varied bunch of hardware.

I mean you can still write the raw pcm from alsa to a file if you are so inclined - but majority of the folks don’t mind paying a few bucks each month to support the industry :wink:

That would be a very interesting feature.
Qobuz has now also become more attractive - the price has been adjusted downwards! :smile: :+1: