PSU for Allo Volt+

Class-T, Class A, Classy and Classics. Let's turn that knob up!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Re: PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby marcellom » Sat Apr 08 2017 14:21

allo wrote:Volt+ in acrylic case (offsets not mounted) with a steeped attenuator (24 positions)

O wow,. very nice...

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
marcellom
Objectivist
Objectivist

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby johnk » Mon Feb 26 2018 22:47

Hi,
I have been using an ASUS 19v 3.5A PSU which I got with my Volt+ (https://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/ ... er-supply/)
I recently tried an old (very old) Toshiba 15V 4A PSU that I had in a cupboard and was surprised that the sound seemed much better. The stereo image was much clearer, the sound stage much wider. The Toshiba PSU is significantly heavier, but I have no idea what is inside it.
My question is will I be getting another significant improvement by investing in a better quality 19 or 24V PSU or should I just be happy with the impressive sound I now get?
For reference I am comparing to my Yamaha A-S700 (with a speaker switch box) and it now sounds significantly better.
Thanks,
John
Random avatar
johnk
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby Audiohrdwr » Mon Jun 04 2018 09:35

hello Johnk,

thank you for your feedback concerning our hardware, its always nice to see what set ups are out there using ALLO hardware.
You ask a very hard question because there are too many factors to consider and endless variations. ( what cables you use,. what speakers and so many others...)

Theoretically, the cleaner the power , better the sound.
Will you notice a difference justifying the investment ?
Its an audiophile conundrum.

if you're happy now, enjoy it !

regards and please keep up posted.

Andre
Random avatar
Audiohrdwr
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby errcl65 » Mon Aug 20 2018 01:29

Best SQ came with an additional CM board and a big 19VDC (180) SMPS.
Also rewire the RCA and Speaker post with some decent wires (Neglex 2534).

Allo VOlt+ is a very capable flea watt amp.
Random avatar
errcl65
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby marudo » Fri Aug 31 2018 12:43

johnk wrote:Hi,
I have been using an ASUS 19v 3.5A PSU which I got with my Volt+ (https://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/ ... er-supply/)
I recently tried an old (very old) Toshiba 15V 4A PSU that I had in a cupboard and was surprised that the sound seemed much better. The stereo image was much clearer, the sound stage much wider. The Toshiba PSU is significantly heavier, but I have no idea what is inside it.
My question is will I be getting another significant improvement by investing in a better quality 19 or 24V PSU or should I just be happy with the impressive sound I now get?
For reference I am comparing to my Yamaha A-S700 (with a speaker switch box) and it now sounds significantly better.
Thanks,
John

How about the clarity and dynamics?
-=SMurf=-
marudo
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby johnk » Fri Oct 25 2019 23:26

I have now tried two more power supplies.
First was a cheap no name 24v 4A supply from ebay (AUD$10). The sound was thin and just not great. I wish there was an easy way of testing these PSUs ...
The cheap 24v PSU was noticeably worse than the previous 15V Toshiba one.
I then came across this thread https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi ... 0w/page/3/
and decided to try the Alitov PSU as recommended. With delivery fro the US this was ~AUD$50.
This gives a very noticeable improvement. The bass tightens up and the the image is better. All up I am very happy with the Alitov and would recomend it as a cheap upgrade to anyone.
Now to get back to speaker shopping :-)
Cheers,
john
Random avatar
johnk
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

PSU for Allo Volt+

Postby drivingdan » Mon Nov 04 2019 02:08

I purchased the volt+ 2 years ago with Allo's Dual Power Supply. They don't offer it any longer so I would try the "Meanwell GST120A24-P1M power supply" that Nelson Pass suggests to use with the Amp Camp Amp that he designed. Don't forget the Capacitance Multiplier. I also upgrade the power cables. It makes a difference that you can hear (and see on a good monitor or TV). I wonder if Allo will make a preamp. If I build the Amp Camp Amp I'll need a preamp with volume control.
Random avatar
drivingdan
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to Amplifiers