Power off button on RPI2

Discuss about Hardware diy and tweaks

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Power off button on RPI2

Postby macmpi » Sat Mar 04 2017 14:29

For such a big leap, you probably want to make a clean re-install flashing new 2.114 image: seems to work far better.
New User? Welcome! Please allow 8mn for first boot, and while the wait, be sure to carefully read Quick-start instructions and FAQ ;)
Question? please use search form first, and if posting for a problem, submit logs.
macmpi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Power off button on RPI2

Postby calvin » Sat Mar 04 2017 16:21

I think you're right. I'm going to give that a shot. I did a several hour test and I'm fairly sure the problem revolves around using the "Random" play feature.

Haven't had a chance to do a test with the push button, but I may get to that later tonight or tomorrow morning if I can get the right hardware.
Random avatar
calvin
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Power off button on RPI2

Postby macmpi » Sun Mar 05 2017 08:58

Once you get such 1-button solution working, please post feedback here: I'm pretty sure some other users will benefit from it.
Thanks.
New User? Welcome! Please allow 8mn for first boot, and while the wait, be sure to carefully read Quick-start instructions and FAQ ;)
Question? please use search form first, and if posting for a problem, submit logs.
macmpi
Objectivist
Objectivist

Power off button on RPI2

Postby calvin » Sun Mar 05 2017 13:46

It appears that it will in fact work. I didn’t have a DPST switch so I thought to use two separate switches and press them both at the same time which will simulate the DPST. One was wired to handle the shutdown function and it’s GPIO pin number was entered into the plugin. The other was wired between GPIO 3 and ground. Wiring up a DPST would be similar using one side for the shutdown function and the other for the startup function. Be careful of the voltages, ground connection and default value of the GPIO pins. See details here:

https://github.com/tomatpasser/gpio-buttons

When the unit was running, pressing both buttons simultaneously initiated an orderly shutdown. Pressing both simultaneously again initiated an orderly startup. Please note that this does not kill the power to the Pi, but rather places it in a “standby” mode (the little red light on the Pi will stay on).

Somebody that has more knowledge than me may want to see what, if anything, taking GPIO 3 to ground at shutdown does to the software (Volumio in particular)

Thanks again for the help and the suggestion that got me on the right track.
Random avatar
calvin
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Power off button on RPI2

Postby nikkon » Fri Mar 15 2019 20:25

Hi all,

Will this also work on the Asus Thinker Board too?
Random avatar
nikkon
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Power off button on RPI2

Postby HansieNL » Sat Jul 13 2019 16:42

@macmpi : see my post https://forum.volumio.org/normally-open-momentary-switch-and-off-command-t12638.html how I did solve the on/off problem with one switch.
HansieNL
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to Diy and Tweaks