Volumio 2 and brutefir

@xombul
The only thing you can test is to do several sweep measurements and the in Rew go to all SPL. On to right click time align and the vector average. Hide all but average. Export as wav. But I am not sure what vector average does…

@paulE54
Yes the plugin creates a virtual device and redirect the output. In fact it doesn’t disable i2s. It is just a “display” bug… But don’t try to change it.

@chris8519
As written in the readme, the plugin requires a version of Volumio >=2.776.
I never tested with your Dac.

Thanks for the quick response Balbuze. I’ll investigate further…

Paul

“Vector average” averages phase response and is not suitable for frequency response correction.

You didn’t - there is no timing information in MMM RTA. However, frequency response with MMM is much more acurate than with sweep as it is a spatial average of many samples. You can EQ it with REW and export filter in wav format or import it in rePhase and generate EQ filters mannualy in wav of txt format.

Be sure to use pink noise file with MMM RTA.

Hi Krunok,

Thank U so much for the clarification.

Actually I had more or less the same results using sweep or RTA/mmm methodology but mmm is way simplier. You don’t need 20 points or so to get the result.
I also believe that the filters generator in the plugin could be improved if we could import * wav IR with a timing reference (using sweep methodology) or * txt IR (using mmm methodology)

Envoyé de mon Mi MIX 3 en utilisant Tapatalk

I recommend taking MMM RTA with at least 50 samples. Video how to do it properly can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RiuwqzjqlQ.

OpenDRC filter generator accepts only IR in wav format. I strongy suggest setting IR delay of measured IR to 0 using “Estimate IR delay” function in REW before importing it to the generator so that it can correct phase more easilly.

Filter based on MMM RTA can be automatically generated with REW (also in WAV format) and imported into the plugin.

Hi Balbuze!
Updated to the recent master release of 2.777. Reinstalled the plugin and gave it a go. Hardware detection ran, but threw an error (connect your device when ready… something like that, but my device was indeed connected). When I change output settings and run the clipping protection, I do indeed hear white noise. So something is getting through. But when playing music, neither the progress bar updates nor does sound play. When I update the volume setting I do see the progress bar jump to where the song should be, as if it was playing. Switching sample rate in the plugin also updates my DAC and shows the correct rate I selected.

Wondering if USB breakout boxes like my Musical Fidelity just aren’t supported.

The box works fine to breakout data from USB to optical without the plugin. Why would an internal loopback make a difference to how it outputs?

It looks like the volume mixer is not correct when the plugin is enabled… Because the clipping detection is supposed to be done in silence by muting the sound…
So, try the following : disabled the plugin, and set your Dac and mixer. Reboot and test. Enable the plugin. Wait about 15sec before testing. Do not change mixer settings once the plugin is enabled! Let me know.

Hi Balbuze. Well now I have a different problem. DSP was working - but for some reason it now is not. I haven’t changed anything other than upgrading to latest volumio 2.779, but I had the same problem on 2.777 so it is not that. Symptoms -

I am at Volumio 2.779 and DSP for Volumio 1.8.0.

Volumio plays using I2S Dac switched to “on” and with “output device” and “Dac model” both set to “Allo Digi One” and with DSP for Volumio 1.8.0 installed but switched off.

When I switch DSP for Volumio “on”, it says “attempt to start BruteFIR” the I2S Dac switch on playback menu is switched off, the DAC model disappears, and the output device is set to “audio jack”. I have to reset this to “snd_allo_digione” press “save” and it says “configuration update – player successfully restarted”. If I then try to play music, I get a red error box in top RH corner with “error – failed to open ALSA device. Hw:1,0 device or resource busy”.

Tried a shutdown / restart, and makes no difference – get same error.

Turn DSP for Volumio off, put playback settings back, after restarting system plays music fine but with no DSP (obviously).

It used to work, I don’t know why it has stopped. Any advice gratefully received!

Ok I have now discovered a fix. For some reason I need to set the output device to “loopback”. When I do this I get sound out which is DSP processed. Result. Posted in case it helps anyone else.

Paul

I found and fixed the problem (I think) for i2s dac. Please install the last version. Let me know

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me Balbuze, much appreciated. :slight_smile:
Makes sense as my AlloDigiOne uses I2S.
I will try this and let you know, but it may be 2-3 days before I get round to it.
Pretty busy for next 2 days.

Paul E

And just to confirm, installed version 1.8.5 and output device now comes up as Dsp -> Allo DigiOne, audio plays fine, and problem now solved. Many thanks Balbuze.

1 Like

Hello balbuze,
as a new Volumio user I like to shorten the way, thats why I turn to you. :smiley:
So far I have been using Acourate with LMS. I want to continue using Acourate so I need the brutefir Plugin.
I haven’t read the whole thread and surely you can find the information somewhere. But I would like to ask someone to explain me how to install brutefir via SSH as a plugin. It is described in the manual but I miss the first step.

Thanks a lot and Regards

In the readme of the plugin, it is explained to install it.
First, enable SSH. A link is given to do that. You can also find it in the doc of Volumio. It is simply the address IP of your device plus /dev ex: 192.168.1.10/dev. Presse enable under SSH.
Then enter the commands as described in the readme in the section “how-to install”.
That’s it

1 Like

Hi balbuze,
I’m having trouble to get DSP running. Installation of volumio and DSP is fine. Playback without DSP is ok, yet after activation of DSP I will get no sound anymore. I use the following configuration

1. RPI3B with Allo DigiOne
  2. Volumio v2.806
  3. Brutefir latest build from Github as of August 4th

Extract from the log after activation:
volumio[1000]: info: Starting brutefir
volumio[1000]: info: no delay needed
volumio[1000]: info: --------->filter format None text
volumio[1000]: info: --------->filter size 65536
volumio[3050]: Filters in process 1: 1 3
volumio[1000]: info: --------->Skip value for wav :
volumio[1000]: info: File size found in array!
volumio[1000]: S24_LE
sudo[3056]: volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl restart brutefir.service

volumio[3062]: Filters in process 0: 0 2
volumio[3062]: Filters in process 1: 1 3
volumio[3062]: ALSA I/O: Could not set audio output parameters for “hw:2”:
volumio[3062]: Failed to set sample format to S24_LE: Invalid argument.
volumio[3062]: Failed to init output device.
volumio[3062]: Failed to initialise digital audio interfaces.
systemd[1]: brutefir.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: Unit brutefir.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: brutefir.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: Stopping brutefir Daemon…

systemd[1]: brutefir.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
systemd[1]: Failed to start brutefir Daemon.
systemd[1]: Unit brutefir.service entered failed state.

Using no or the demo filter gives the same result (no sound). Volumio plays normally after de-activation of DSP.
Can you help?

Hi,
Try to change output format. I can’t tell you which one would work as it depends on the hardware

Balbuze, please help!!! Pretty desperate here. Only reason I have Volumio is to use Brutefir but I have yet to get it working. I am using volumio loaded on an RPI4 with USB out to a Denafrips DAC. With Volumio on output playback dsp-USB and Brutefir plug on, I do not get any sound out. I have to go back to output playback and change to USB to get sound out. Of course, once I change the playback output, Brutefir player is not started.

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/GhSSZsb.html

a798e05b37ababa4bbde6e866edfcf7d

Did a quick scan of the error log…

Not sure if this is the issue or how to fix it.

Hello.
Have you tried with demo filter?
It can’t work with your filters because they have space in their name. Please rename it by using - instead of space.
When the plugin is enabled, do not change anything in playback settings, or it won’t work for sure.
Let me know

SOLVED!!! filters changed to no space and format output also needed to be changed. AWESOME!