"Next X86" dev (Kernel/ Hardware/ Debian stretch/buster)

I want test this version.

we want lot’s of things, you forgot “please” :smiley:
PM me your email address and I’ll see to it using wetransfer.
We might have a better solution soon, nearly finished with it.

profd@ukr.net
Please i want test this new version.
I have a lot of x86 single board computer …
Liva Pc, lattepanda Dell venue 8 pro, j1900 chines board, advantech mio2261

1 Like

The message shown seem to indicate a problem with the network (the image is very blurry).
Official Volumio image is kind of … trailing … when it comes to network drivers.
Sometime you can just find the right firmware, but in your case I think it won’t help, the NEtwork (ILM219) and the Wifi card (8265AC) are very recent.

You need to recompile with the new kernel (and maybe even inject your firmwares, cf https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/core_release)

Welcome on boat!

I am a little bit confused about the version numbering here.
The image versions mentioned in this thread are lower than the now offical x86 release version (2.586 04-06-2019), yet, as far as I can tell, this is based on Debian Jessie and Linux 3.x.

Is there any new info to a Debian buster, Linux 4.x release / testing status?

I would be very interested in trying out a test image (unfortunately, as I am newly registered, I wasn’ able to send a PN) to try out Volumio on an Intel NUC and test the WiFi support there.

Thanks!

Hello, Do you use the on-board Gigabit interface provided by the Realtek chip? Any issues with that? Thanks

HI Fidelity089,

Can you share how much memory is actually seen / used by volumio. If you are using a x86 32bits kernel, isn’t there a limitation to 4 gigas only ?

I’d be very interested in testing a new build as well. I have 4 or 5 different motherboards ( intel and AMD based) Asrock , Asus…

cf:
Is there any new info to a Debian buster, Linux 4.x release / testing status?

I would be very interested in trying out a test image (unfortunately, as I am newly registered, I wasn’ able to send a PN) to try out Volumio on an Intel NUC and test the WiFi support there.

pattdepanick

There has not been any development due to my absence.
Meanwhile Debian Buster has been released, so that is what we will be focusing on.
There have been some changes between Jessie/Stretch and Buster which appears to have killed a volumio-specific key component.
It is related to our own initramfs (initrd), it will take some time to fix.
No ETA.

Hi,
I’ve been a Volumio user for about a year. I used the Raspberry Pi3b and then VolumioX86 with a fanless Atom motherboard with SSD.

Everything perfect, unfortunately the Atom is dead and I bought a more modern and better motherboard.
Asrock J3455-ITX Mini ITX, 8Gb of Ram 1866 with SSD.

My troubles have started …

Volumio starts in over 10 minutes, the network does not work well, it sounds jerky, in short, a disaster.
I posted a Help this morning but it has not yet been approved.
Searching the forum I found this post, I downloaded your iso and installed it.
Wow, super fast start, player ok. The new kernel manages the machine perfectly, the Volumio system works very well.

But then a new disaster happened because I did the update (stupid :slight_smile: ) and everything came back as before :frowning:
I started over and reinstalled everything, I work all day …

In your version however the plugins do not work, when you want to activate the screen disappears for a moment and remain disabled.
So nothing Spotify, Youtube, Radio, etc …
Can anything be done to make this version work at the top?

Thank you for your time and your work, you are exceptional.

We still have an issue with newer X86 configurations, but as we have been working on and off, we have no proven solution yet.
As this has taken far too long, it will get top priority sooner than later.

Any news on newer version? I’m impatiently waiting for current volumio version with support for pcix sdd’s. Latest from this thread works but lacks some newer features from current stable version.

We are making real progress now, close to alpha, tested by a number of users already, no major issues so far.
Hopefully we can distribute an alpha version soon with up-to-date firmware and kernel 5.4 LTS (expected within the next few weeks).

Hi,

we are nearing the first alpha version for Volumio on Debian buster and a completely reconfigured mainline kernel (5.4.0), at last…
The kernel is more or less complete, tested by a number of users already, but we like to have more feedback.

I invite users, willing to test an early buster image for the purpose of verifying the kernel, to send me their email address to volumio(at)bluewin.ch.
You wil receive a download link for a pre-alpha version, generated with the purpose of verifying kernel support on different X86 setups.
The image is not complete, it lacks things like shairport-sync, upnp, myVolumio, automatic usb mount etc.).
Volumio-wise it works well, I am interested in feedback regarding the following areas:

• networking (ethernet controllers, wlan)
  • disks (nvme, SD, eMMC, ssd, sata etc.), if you can please copy the image to such devices and try to boot from them
  • graphics and displays
  • touchscreens, this is certainly not complete yet, but are there some which work, which ones don’t?
  • and of source sound! (built-in and usb audio). Supported audio formats are not prime focus yet, but any feedback will be welcome
  • hardware used

BR - Gé

I want try alpha on emmc devices.

About a dozen links have been forwarded and the outcome has been very good so far.
Changes/additions have already been implemented.
For the remaining testers I would like to ask for feedback with a list from lshw and dmidecode in case of issues.

I tried 2.394 version and still getting hdmi alsa hw0,0 error as before on my nuc5i5ryh

Did you test the “Next X86” alpha release ( you need to message gkkpch for the link )? The current Volumio for x86 is using kernel version 3.18 which could have compatibility problems with your device. You can see if your HDMI audio is listed by doing this in Volumio SSH console:

aplay -l

Because your device was released around the time when kernel version 3.18 was mainstream (4 years ago and which Volumio is still using), it might not be well supported at that time. Mainstream kernel is now at version 5.x, and the “Next X86” release is based on that, so it could work for your NUC.

-Patrick

guys,
I do not issue new versions anymore, feedback was good, some have been taken care off, issues re. some graphics cards are open (like amd vega), others were solved.
We’re now sorting out typical, internal building things, a new version will come soon, after the holidays, but no ETA to avoid disappointments.

May I please test?

Xeon E-2176G Processor, 64GB Ram, Asus WS C246 Pro Mobo. I will run Volumio as a VM in the server. It will have a pinned, dedicated CPU core.

Audio path is NAS>Volumio>Nvidia GT 710 HDMI Out > Marantz AV8805 Preamp for digital decoding. I wish to listen to multichannel audio and have all of the analog begin in the Marantz.

The current release kernel and base system seems to be lacking the needed drivers to operate that video card properly. Thank you! I’m happy to test and provide feedback

Note, this topic has been closed
Meanwhile a new X86 version based on Debian Buster has been introduced as Beta.
Please refer to volumio-x86-debian-buster-debugging-party-beta

====================================================================================================================