[PLUGIN] NanoSound CD plugin

Hi,

would you mind to share you knowledge about how to get Apples SuperDrive working?

Thanks a lot.
Thomas

Hi ThomasL,

Have a look at the latest version of the plugin - it
has an Eject button in the UI

That should help with Apple‘s drive and others
where the vendor cannot afford a hardware button. :wink:

Best Regards
Josef

Hi Josef.

My Superdrive didn’t work at all. So it was not just about the eject button. It didn‘t even accept the CD. But I now have it up and running.

sudo apt-get install sg3-utils
(only needed the first time)
ls /dev
(to check whether sr0 or sr1, usually it’s sr0 unless you had already other USB drives connected)
sg_raw /dev/sr0 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01

That did the trick.
Cheers
Thomas

1 Like

Thank you for the plugin, and hard work you put into this.

I’m testing the same with free version before buying. but I do agree with the below comments. I’m also building a proper player that has no eject button on the front but want to either use the menu or from directly from nanosound interface.

also i’ve notice even when a CD is playing, if you go out of NanoSound cd and come back to it, it takes the same amount of time to reload the CD data, so some cashing of the cd data is needed.

Thank you for using the NanoSound CD . Agree with the points below!

Recently we have been very busy with both ourNanoSound Amp 10 launch as well as spending time porting NanoSound CD to x86 systems (ripping is faster :slight_smile: ) . More info here: https://nanomesher.com/nanosound-cd-support/

Summarising the list of to-dos:

• More accessible eject button
  • Detecting disc change
  • Caching to improve performance

We are pleased to announce that a new version is available which add a local cache (sqlite database) for CD meta, loading CD is a lot faster from second time onwards after cached. It’s available for ARM version only for now (x86 version soon), just click Upgrade Version in NanoSound CD settings and enjoy!

Detail Info: https://nanomesher.com/nanosound-cd-support/
To purchase your full license: https://nanomesher.com/nanosoundcd

Hi,

I can’t get this plugin to work in my Pi 2 running the latest version of volumio with an IDE to USB adapter and an ATX psu going to any of the drives I plug into it. They are all standard IDE DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drives that would otherwise work fine in other systems.

Here’s the behavior I have with it:

dmesg detects the drive just fine, inserting a cd, then waiting for a while so it picks it up, and going to Nanosound CD retrieves the audio tracks of the drive with their tags perfectly fine, finally the plugin appears to play the tracks… but they won’t sound!

I tried playing music with both the internal audio jack of the pi and a cheap USB PCM2704 DAC in case that would make it work but nope, still nothing, regardless of the audio output I have set up in the options, i just won’t get any sound whatsoever.

Here’s my asound.conf in case it helps:

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1

defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate"

pcm_slave.x4 {
        pcm "hw:1,0"
    rate 176400
}

pcm_slave.x2 {
    pcm "hw:1,0"
    rate 88200
}

pcm.rate_convertx4 {
        type rate
        slave x4
        converter "samplerate"
}

pcm.rate_convertx2 {
    type rate
    slave x2
    converter "samplerate"
}

Hope we can sort this out.

Can you please try the auto config audio button in NanoSound CD? Make sure you reboot after.

If it still doesn’t work, please share your output of below? thanks

cat /proc/asound/modules

sorry, i have a problem with a volume of cd. i’ve set a mixer to software mode.

radio, mp3 dlna works prefect and i modify a volume on apps. with cd player the volume start to max level and i don’t modify.

can i use a software mixer with nanosound cd?

Optimal settings for volumio options as here. Let us know if anything is not working.

If you do not need volume control, since you would like volume to be controlled by an external amplifier:
Mixer Type: None

NanoSound DAC / DAC2 and i2s DACs which supports hardware volume
Mixer Type: Hardware
Mixer Control Name: Digital

i2s DACs which does not support hardware volume
Mixer Type: Software

Audio Jack (i2S DAC off)
Mixer Control Name: PCM

USB DACs
Mixer Control Name: PCM

I tested plugin with two old IDE CD-ROM drives trough USB to IDE converter cable - Toshiba/Samsung SH-C522 and Teac CD-540E. Drives itself are powered from external supply.
Playback works good with both of them but there is one weird thing - when I insert A CD in Teac drive it becomes locked and can only be opened from settings page eject button or after unplugging USB cable. Samsung drive has no such problem.
I would prefer to use Teac drive because it is dead silent opposing Samsung that is noisy as hell.
Another thing I noticed - cover art is available only for few CD’s and is low quality (looks blurred).
Edit:
Noticed another problem - sometime between tracks there is loud clicks like from ripping damaged CD’s, problem is not persistent, if I play this again it mostly not happens again. Most likely it is problem with extraction methods from CD and might be compatibility problem with drive.
Pioneer DVD-117DR - the same - CD is locked inside, no clicks so far, tough also noisy drive.

Evidently this plugin don’t do gapless playback :frowning: What a waste…

Hi All,
I have the same problem as Burghy. I use software mixer and audio jack output (for testing, active speakers connected) - normally HifiBerry DAC+ with RCA. The radio and mp3 works perfect and I can adjust the volume using the GUI’s “volume knob”. In the case of cd-roms, the volume is set to maximum and does not respond to the GUI’s “volume knob”. I connected to volumio using ssh and noticed something like in the picture below. With PCM settings I can adjust the volume of the cd-rom. The SoftMaster changes the volume like GUI’s “volume knob” - this is the same “knob”. I tried the auto config audio button and reboot.
Here’s my asound.conf:

[code]volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

ABOVE LINES WERE ADDED BY NANOSOUND CD

pcm.softvolume
type plug
slave.pcm “softvol”
}

pcm.softvol {
type softvol
slave {
pcm “plughw:0,0”
}
control {
name “SoftMaster”
card 0
device 0
}
max_dB 0.0
min_dB -50.0
resolution 100
}

BELOW LINES WERE ADDED BY NANOSOUND CD

defaults.pcm.rate_converter “samplerate”

pcm_slave.x4 {
pcm “hw:1,0”
rate 176400
}

pcm_slave.x2 {
rate 88200
}

pcm.rate_convertx4 {
type rate
slave x4
converter “samplerate”
}

pcm.rate_convertx2 {
type rate
slave x2
converter “samplerate”
}[/code]

Regards
Rafal
alsamixer.png

My dac are suptronic x5000

My setting are vanilla config and nanosound plugin

Hi all,

Regarding using internal audio jack (non i2s), we got volumio control working by using “Hardware” mixer type and “PCM” Mixer Control Name

Make sure the NanoSound CD upsampling set to disable as internal audio does not support it.

internaljack.jpg

hardwarepcm.jpg

Hope this helps.

The /etc/asound.conf is just below (unchanged from auto reconfig audio):

defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

ABOVE LINES WERE ADDED BY NANOSOUND CD

BELOW LINES WERE ADDED BY NANOSOUND CD

defaults.pcm.rate_converter “samplerate”

pcm_slave.x4 {
rate 176400
}

pcm_slave.x2 {
rate 88200
}

pcm.rate_convertx4 {
type rate
slave x4
converter “samplerate”
}

pcm.rate_convertx2 {
type rate
slave x2
converter “samplerate”
}

We have written a list of recommended volume control options for different DACs here.

Hope this helps!

Hi

I attached an ide cd drive to volumio. The drive work, I can see list of tracks in volumio and even when click the play button the numbers are running, but no Audio comes out. Other audio from NAS/Spotify comes out a usual. How can I inspect this?

I can’t get any CD to play.

Using lsusb, my player shows up as: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 13fd:0840 Initio Corporation INIC-1618L SATA.
Using ls /dev it is present as: sr0

This player works fine, both under Windows 10 and Linux Mint.

The “Eject CD” button in the plugin settings also works, but when inserting CD’s nothing happens.

The solution as posted by ThomasL fails due to missing dependencies.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libpam-systemd : Depends: systemd (= 215-17+deb8u8) but 215-17+deb8u7 is to be installed
systemd : Depends: libsystemd0 (= 215-17+deb8u7) but 215-17+deb8u8 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

Trying: apt-get -f install

Results in the following:

dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘upmpdcli-qobuz’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘netplug’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘telnet’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘upmpdcli-gmusic’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘upmpdcli-tidal’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database … 23000 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/systemd_215-17+deb8u8_armhf.deb …
Unpacking systemd (215-17+deb8u8) over (215-17+deb8u7) …
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u8_armhf.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service’, which is also in package systemd-shim 9-1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
addgroup: The group `systemd-journal’ already exists as a system group. Exiting.
Processing triggers for dbus (1.8.22-0+deb8u1) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u8_armhf.deb

Please try the auto config audio function in NanoSound CD plug in settings and reboot.

If problem persist, please try share the output of

aplay -l

and also your /etc/asound.conf file.

thanks

Thank you ! it worked !

A little kick.

I’ve installed the latest updates for volumio, but nothing has changed. The player is still visible via lsusb and ls /dev, it responds to the eject command via the plugin settings and I hear CD’s spin up after loading them.

However, nothing happens in the GUI, I don’t see any playlist appear and I don’t hear any audio play.

Do you have an idea what might be the cause of the problem?