ALLO Boss

Great! Let us know how you like it

Hi all ! :smiley: :smiley:
I has Pi3 + Isolator Allo + Boss DAC v1.2.
Play music file .wav, .mp3, .flac OK? But not play file .dsf.
With Isolator + Boss DAC play Dsf OK
How do play file .dsf with Isolator + Boss DAC v1.2

Thank :nerd: :nerd:

Hi,
What is the best route to power the Allo Boss 1.2 Player?

I am going to buy:

1. Boss Player 1.2 allo.com/sparky/boss-player.html

… this “plug and play” bundle includes 5V PSU (universal) with US/EU/UK plugs + DC to TypeC USB and DC to microUSB adapter cables.

1. IFI iPower volumio.org/product/ifi-ipower/

Should I feed Rasperry Pi 3 from 5V universal PSU provided by Allo and Boss DAC board from IFI iPower through Allo’s DC to TypeC USB adapter?

Hi, I recently bought an Allo BOSS Player (Allo BOSS DAC, Raspberry PI 3, Allo Case, Micro SD Card 8GB, 5V 2A Power Supply), which I’m really satisfied with. Volumio is fantastic, it sounds wonderful, but I would like to know if I can keep the connection to the Raspberry, via USB, of an external HD not self-powered or if I have to power it autonomously. Thanks in advance

Hello,
I would like to build a player and I sure need one with a Display, touchscreen preferred. The Allo Dacs obviously seem that they do not provide the full range of GPIO Pins. Can I attach any Screen on top of the Boss Player?

If you choose an HDMI screen with a USB interface for the touch (such as Waveshare 5" or 7" etc) then you don’t need to go anywhere near the GPIO pins.

https://www.waveshare.com/7inch-hdmi-lcd-c.htm

I would use the original Raspberry Pi 7" display.
It works in my IQ Audio stack and does not need the GPIO pins excepting the power supply.
If you can find which of the available pins have the 5 V required you just use the connectors provided with the touch screen.

Hi! Thank you much for your review and recommendations. I’ve read the 24 pages and I still have a question:
How do you power the Rpi and the Boss? Wich psu do you recommend?

It seems the best way (in terms of sound quality) is powering the Rpi and the Boss separatedly.

To power th Rpi I have the Raspberry Pi Universal Power SUPPLY raspberrypi.org/products/ra … er-supply/

To power the Boss I don’t know between these two options:

Allo 5v power supply (13€)
allo.com/sparky-eu/5v-power … #downloads

Ifi Ipower (51,40€)
volumio.org/product/ifi-ipower/

I hope somebody could answer. Does the Ifi Ipower make a huge improvement? Dies it worth the money?

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone!
I’ve got an “ALSA failed to open…” error message with my Boss DAC. I looked for the forum to find a solution but I did not find something really clear. It seems this problem could come from the PSU: if there is not enough volts to feed the Boss it can’t read audio files. Ok, that makes sense. But what is the ideal electrical voltage needed? 5,05V, 5,12V…? I looked for the internet but I did not find the information.
Notice I use a DIY double PSU for my system: this toroïdal: https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/transformateurs-toriques/transformateur-torique-60va-2x8v-p-10640.html
and this regulator: https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/alimentations-regulees/module-d-alimentation-lineaire-regulee-double-dc-lt1083-24v-5a-p-11793.html
Boss DAC is feed separately and nothing else is connected to this output. My micro usb cables are optimized for more than 3,5 AMP(tested on the RPi 3B+ which feeds a touchscreen and a group of three 5V fans).

In parallel to this it could be that my DAC connection is not good: I deported my DAC from the RPi to have access to the GPIO. So I connected the PINS rated as ponds used by the DAC to the GPIO on the Boss tech manuel (blue highlighted lines)

I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything(these 6 PINS are well connected), but as they say, “error is human”…
Can someone help me to find the issue?..
Thanks in advance!

Hello
I also use separate power supplies, it works perfectly. (see signature)
5.05V are good!
Does the streamer work normally with a normal power supply on the RPI (+ BOSS)?
If you supply the rpi and the BOSS separately with 5V, did you remove the connection Jumper J2.S on the BOSS next to the USB port?
Which software version do you use?
Is the BOSS Dac configured correctly in Volumio?
Did you make adjustments in the software?

regards
rost21A

Hi,

No. I’ve got the same “Alsa” error message.

Yes.

The latest.

I tried all the configs: nothing works. I’m scared my DAC is Out of order… I would like to test with PSU connected to J19 5V and GND pins but i’m not sure it’s a good idea…

Yes but it didn’t work at first launch. Before I make any changes. And I just added xinput at the moment(I try to flip my touchscreen).

Thanks a lot for your help

EDIT: The power LED is ON.

Here is my config.txt

[code]initramfs volumio.initrd
gpu_mem=32
max_usb_current=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
display_rotate=3

Volumio i2s setting below: do not alter

dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio

[/code]

should anyone be interested, here’s my not-so-expensive diy linear power supply for the allo boss 1.2

power goes through this:
AC 220V -> EMF filter > AC220V (about 9 eur)
filtered AC 220V -> R-core transformer -> AC 9V 1.65a (about 20 eur)
AC 9V -> LM317 regulated power supply -> DC 5V (about 6 eur)
dirt cheap electrical box (5 eur)
cables and ancilliary elements (let’s say another 10 eur)
grand total 50 eur sharp

disclaimer

• I don’t have the best of amps or speakers (NAD 3020i and a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1), but this sounds fuller, more bassy and with a wider stage than my previous hifiberry dac+)
  • don’t have measuring devices to see the actual noise of the LPS, but it does sound delicious to my ears, and makes my flac files more enjoyable.
  • had to remove the allo boss 1.2 jumper to power the rpi and the boss separately

cheers!
IMG_20191210_134224.jpg

Hello
The problem is most likely a contact problem with the crowd. (Ground loop)
Do you hear the noise on both sides or only on one side?
It can also be magnetic interference from a transformer on a neighboring device, but I think it’s more of a ground problem.
Are the contacts between RPI and BOSS all OK? (GPIO)
Are the cables between BOSS and Amp OK?

I have been using the BOSS for a long time (V.1.4) and I am really extremely satisfied. I use the iFi audio power supply.

I hope my tips help solve the problem.

regards
rost21A

Hello
Do you use an ethernet cable or wifi?
If Ethernet, I recommend using an unshielded cable.
I use wifi (USB wifi dongle)
With wifi there are no ground problems and no noise from the router or switch.

regards
rost21A

Yes I think you have a ground loop issue in your setup.
Some good articles to know more about it:
techhive.com/article/306359 … stems.html
audioholics.com/home-theate … m-and-buzz
tnt-audio.com/clinica/groun … ero_e.html

Ciao Michelangelo
I bought a boos that mounted on rasp 4 was not seen by volume, I changed the product and the new one worked on the first attempt … (a rev 1.5 has arrived) mounts on amplifier (harman kardon avr 132)
doing tests from the web interface I tried to put the volume on mute and then increase … it no longer worked :frowning:
the track flows, not showing signs of errors but no longer emits sounds
what happened?

hello everyone, the problem of the double click is very annoying.It occurs at every track change.I am currently feeding the boss v 1.2 with the official Raspberry power supply directly on the dac with the jumper on.I already have the material to power with the isolator and dual power supply. but I’m not sure if it solves the problem.

I have a Raspberry Pi4 and a Allo Boss 1.2. My 24 bit music is seen by volumio as 16 bit (or downscaled). Whether I play from my NAS or through JRiver. However JRiver sees the music correctly as 24 bit.
In Volumio I’ve checked all settings and no conversion is done (off). What should I do ? Thanks for your help. Vincent

I have started from scratch again with downloading Volumio. Volumio now sees the correct birate and sample size. Only one problem remains : radiostations stop playing after 10 seconds. Fortunately the radio stations memorised in JRiver MC 26 play without any problem.
What could be the cause for the 10 seconds playing of radio stations ?
Thanks for your help.