HiFi Streamer : Build thread

I do not recommend Hypex nCore “MP” models, take Hypex nCore 400 with sep. Power supplies as recommended by Hypex.
It is a bit more expensive but a clear advantage! :wink:

Do you not evaluate a Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 125ASX2 2x125W Class D Amplifier Board card?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bang-Olufsen-ICEpower-125ASX2-2x125W-Class-D-Amplifier-Board-card/173018437885
I would like to hear opinions.

Sorry but that’s bollocks.

I chose Hypex because I’ve built an amp with their UCD modules and it embarrassed amplifiers costing £££ more. The Ncores take this to another level and are extensively peer reviewed.

In my discussions with Hypex there are no performance differences from the N400 to the NC***MP series.

I’m looking at the Hypex NC252MP, interesting option.
Do you know what I can buy online?

You can only buy them if you have a trade account.

Interesting thread.
My own experience with Spotify is that even on very high, 320kbps, occasionally the sound quality can sound a bit off, whether it’s a local network issue, an issue with that particular Spotify server or rip of the track or something else, I don’t know. I have not gone to the trouble of trying to measure the network stream etc as 99% of the time I use Spotify in the car.

Anyway, I wondered why the tests were done with Spotify “High” which is only 160kbps?

Are you testing with the same playlist of track(s) or different ones as all music is not produced the same, some is downright awful?

I’d have thought listening to a well produced handful of lossless tracks you know well would have been the best way to test, if blind A/B testing is not possible?

Yes that’s my bad, it’s set to 320kbs and it is the same playlist to test.

Hifi is also very much psychoacoustic so your mood will effect perceived outcomes. I’d say if it’s a dodgy sound it’s probably a dodgy mix on Spotify.

IMG_20190729_200059.jpg
Internals removed

So had time to gut the Naim Flatcap and fortunately made a bit of cash as someone wanted the rather hefty transformer. Shame it didn’t suit my application but I’ll be using the ULPS1225A from Oriol at OSA: https://www.osaelectronics.com/product/ulps1225a/

IMG_20190729_210340.jpg
nCore fitted

The Hypex is nice bit of kit well thought out and ludicrously compact. If I had thought about it I may have ordered two mono versions instead but seeing as though this will do 250w into 4ohms that seems a bit greedy…

Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 21.02.09.png
Decals ready for the new rear panel in Naim style…

I’m pretty pleased about the case, it’s built like a tank and cost £175 if I factor in the sale of the Traffo. To put that in perspective if I had wanted to make a one off version in a similar style with similar materials ProtoCase were going to charge me about £750 :laughing: It will match my other Naim gear perfectly and with any luck my genius friend will also get the Naim LED badge to illuminate from the PSU perhaps even with the remote sensor to control the RPi…

IMG_20190811_105607.jpg
Progress has been pretty good but still waiting on the Raspberry Pi PSU from Spain. Received the rear panel back from https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/ and they’ve done a good job. Opted for anodised printed as it was cheaper and the results were fine, obviously screen printing would have made a perfect copy for the Naim back panel but would have been significantly more expensive.

IMG_20190811_105541.jpg
However I was over generous with the cutouts for the USB sockets on the Raspberry Pi despite measuring about a dozen times :angry:
Once the PSU has arrived I will reinstall the Hypex module and start soldering things up…

IMG_20190811_105554.jpg

IMG_20190814_143741.jpg

So everything except the USB C power lead and the LED badge is in. I’m going to fire up the Raspberry Pi using the official PSU first to see if it still works via the new RCA leads, then once the LED has arrived wire the rest in and juice it up.

IMG_20190814_143746.jpg
Pi connected to external RCA sockets with Amphenol connectors and Gotham cable

IMG_20190814_143751.jpg
The OSA ULPS1225 Dual Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply in all it’s glory

IMG_20190814_143755.jpg
Hypex Ncore waiting to be unleashed

IMG_20190814_172526.jpg
Full top down view

Breakdown of costs:

Naim chassis - £175
RPi Model 4 1Gb - £34
DACBerry ONE+ - £65
OSA ULPS1225A PSU £ 140
Rear panel - £ 68
Silicone rubber flexible power cable - £5
RCA + Speaker binding posts - £25
Fixings (M2.5 + M3 hex) - £5
Standoffs (M2.5 + M3) - £5

TOTAL £ 522

To some this is a lot, but effectively I now have a bang up to date Naim streamer (which costs £2.5k) with the latest open source streaming software. One I can effortlessly upgrade at my leisure. I’ve also got a home for a very nice power amplifier (not included in these costs). These don’t reflect the real costs though, any project has some amount of waste such as the high price of ordering small numbers of items, replacing items that weren’t quite correct, over ordering or design changes mid flight etc. I also cannibalised an RCA cable for the internal connection to the Pi so that’s another £20.

Hope you’ve enjoyed the build thread. If I haven’t blown myself up when it powers up I’ll let you know how it all sounds…

I must say that I admire people who are skilled enough to do these kind of things.
And yes, it is a lot of money. But from what I see it should have more than just a decent sound.
Looking forward to reading your first impression.
Cheers
Thomas

I had a head start, studying product design at college many years ago but even then I manage to fuck things up. A lot of this stuff is very much plug and play. Then I ask lots and lots of questions and there are a lot of helpful people out there. I’m not an electrical engineer but I do know some good ones so that helps! All I’ll say is that you could pretty much do what I’ve done here with a bit of patience and planning!

Nice project. You have inspired me to maybe try my own version.

Did you come across a suitable smaller case in your explorations? I don’t need the “amp” part of your project but like the rest, meaning I could use a smaller case. DIY cases are plentiful I know, but I like your re-using an existing HiFi product case.

ebay_withsled.png
ebay_sidebyside.png
If you like the “old skool” style there are some shoe box size cases made from extruded aluminium with a U shaped sleeve that are very high quality. I think the guy selling them has stopped making them but you may pick one up on the http://www.pinkfishmedia.net

IMG-2884.thumb.JPG.d099670dcfa4829a170e67f727ae5b7a.jpg
Or you could look at the new Naim shoebox sizes like the NAP 100 or Stageline and try to pick up one that’s not working?

Done and sounding very very good! A enormous thanks to Oriol at http://www.osaelectronics.com who supplied the PSU and sorted out the Naim LED. It needs taming but hey the brighter it is obviously the better the hardware :laughing:

IMG_20190904_162706.jpg

1 Like

Hi,
I see that you have 2 inputs or outputs rca, one that goes in digi one hat and other that goes in hypex? Could you please explain me a little bit, I do not understand this…
Thanks…

One is an analogue output from the Rpi, the other is a pre amp input to the Hypex power amp that I housed inside the case.

1 Like

Many thanks for your fast response.
Very nice and looking streamer…