Volumio 2 on Odroid Boards

Since about 3 weeks we also have a supported version for thew Odroid-N2, see Opening Post, based on kernel 4.9.y
IR usage was not in focus, if needed it can be added for a next release.
Switch On/Off via remote has not been taken into account either, also open for addition.
For the rest, fully functional incl. myVolumio.
An excellent candidate for headphone use (supports pcm up to 32bit/384Khz), but even better is USB Audio.
It supports the same range of DSD capable devices as kernel 4.19.

Hi everyone,

first of all thanks a lot for the ongoing support of Odroid boards, despite having a rather small community compared to Raspi, I assume we just know whatā€™s better :wink:

After OSMC and Runeaudio I just recently ended up with Volumio, also due to lagging support for Runeaudio. I am using an Odroid C1+ with an Hifi Shield 2 to stream via SPDIF to my WAF Najda DSP. I have also tested the analog outs, but this just sounded rather bad, also it really doesnā€™t make sense to me to go Digital->Analog->Digital->Analog. I am really happy with the result, however when choosing SPDIF/HDMI as an output, the screen running the UI turns blank white. I was really happy to see my waveshare 7" screen running natively the UI, so I am hoping to get this back. When choosing Hifi Shield 2 (analog outs) as the output, everything works fine. I hope there is no restriction, but I couldnā€™t find anything on the forum.

Just as a sidenot: With Runeaudio I went via I2S directly on to my Najda board, but after switching to Volumio I had quite some noise on the I2S connection, this is why I got me the Hifi Shield, hoping to have a more stable connection via SPDIF.

Looking forward! Kind regards, Alex

Hi Alex,

thank you for your detailed feedback on your Volumio experience with the C1+
Being an early Odroid user myself (it is what started me off in this community, following my first Volumio port to the X2), Iā€™m a little surprised by the issues you are having, as I never had those.

Can you tell me which version you are using? Iā€™ll rig up a C1+ to verfify.

Hi,
sorry for the absence, I was on a short trip away from home. Got back last night 4 am, now we have 9 am, trying to sort this out. :smiley: Happy to read that there shouldnā€™t be a problem!

This is a fresh log file after boot: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/TjcuPC5.html

There is plenty of information in there. All I did was install volumio, install the touchscreen plugin and change the boot.ini to have a resolution of 800x480 60p. Screen works fine on boot load, but turns blank white once the system is ready, but only on playback audio output ā€œHDMI/SPDIFā€. I can check my board version later, this will take a bit of time as I will have to take apart the housing, was a bit too keen to run into no problems.

I am still running the old kernel 3.10.104, I assume thatā€™s okay?!

Looking forward! Kind regards, Alex

Just for reference: This is a boot log with HDMI out working when playback option is ā€œHifi Shield 2ā€: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/WhJMJ4L.html

EDIT: Did a bit of side to side check of the log files. Seems that this is different/not working as it should. No idea what this is thoughā€¦

ā€¦somehow my post this morning got lostā€¦

Hi Ge,

thank you for your offer to help. I was on a short trip last week, so sorry for the late reply. Reading that there shouldnā€™t be an issue sounds promising! Letā€™s see! :smiley:

So first some log files:

1. Boot log with Playback Output ā€œHDMI/TOSLINK (S/PDIF)ā€ - Blank white screen on HDMI out http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/YAWdC9R.html
  2. Boot log with Playback Output ā€œHifi Shield 2ā€ - Screen on HDMI out works as it should http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/tjWoBSD.html

Is there a problem with the kernel, I am still running the old 3.10.104? What I did - Flashed Volumio on SD, installed the Touchscreen plugin, changed the Boot.ini to have 800x480 60p screen resolution. The screen works fine during boot up, but turns blank white ones the system is ready. When choosing Playback Output ā€œHifi Shield 2ā€, the HDMI out and touchscreen works fine.

Please let me know wether this helps finding the problem! In case you still need the board version, that will take some extra effort as I will have to take apart my audio rig (was a bit too fast getting it all together).

Looking forward! Thanks in advance! Kind regards, Alex

The screen turns blank white at the exact moment the SPDIF out is turned on and my external DAC gives me a green light meaning that the SPDIF receiver can extract a suitable clock from the supplied SPDIF stream!

I am still wondering wether it is possible to have a video out via HDMI while having the digital audio out via SPDIF at the same time, because to me this looks like what is causing the problem!

Hope this helps! :wink:

I need to look into this, this appears more complex than I thought. I did test with hdmi, but only on VU5/VU7/VU7+
The only thing I did not do was spdif. Did you grab it directly from the 7-pin connector or from your hifi shield?

Hey,

I did grab the SPDIF from the Hifi Shield 2. When I tested the I2S Connection directly, I had a lot of noise in the signal chain, probably due to bad wiring. Thatā€™s why I liked the idea of having the Hifi Shield 2 with native SPDIF Output.

Looking forward! Alex

have you googled the Odroid forum yet?
If this is so obvious, others must have had the same issue.
Perhaps not with Volumio, but Kodi is widely used, also with a HiFi shield, SPDIF and HDMI.
Just a thought.

I have put in some decent time googling, but couldnā€™t find anything, so I assume there is no problem. Actually I can not really recall on what Volumio is doing with the routing. Might be also that this is a not so common user-case scenario.

Kind regards, Alex

P.S.: Unfortunately you have blocked receiving P.M.sā€¦Volumio works headless just as it should, I can access remote via tablet and PC, so all good. It would just be a nice feature to have an all-in-one-box solution!

Enjoy the show and talk to you soon! I am still moving into my new apartment, so plenty of other stuff to do aswell, no need to rush :wink:

Hello there,

I would like to use Volumio on my Odroid N2 but after flashing the EMMC all I get is this screen to login to volumio IMG_3900.JPG.

If I do this, I am presented a command promt but no Volumio graphical interface. What am I doing wrong ? Can you please help a User with little to no experience with volumio an odroid n2 ?

Regards
Moritz

@Moritz Have a read of the documentation (link below). Volumio is primarily a headless system with the UI being accessed from a browser on any convenient device. There is a plugin available to use a touchscreen to display the UI too.

@chsims1 It only shows this screen, no connection to my router (lan and wlan with original hardkernel adapter) could be established. What do I have to do with this ? Or is my device broken ?

Please read the documentation. The UI is primarily accessed NOT from your touchscreen, but from a browser on a DIFFERENT device.

Hi, I have a small problem with Volumio on my Odroid C1+. Every time I switch the unit on, I have to unplug and plug USB disk and cable in order for Odroid to recognise them.

Any idea how to sort this one out?

Thanks!

appears to me the guys here are not much of a troubleshooter, if they can not use the thing with plug and play, they are as helpless as anyone else.

Hoho, asked for support in the odroid forum:

That did the trick! All running smooth now. Lets see, maybe I will update to myvolumio now, having tidal natively running in there would be another great thing to have!

BR, Alex

2.598 (26-07-2019) sounds like a big update. Do you plan to update C2 any time soon?

NEW ADDITIONS
Raspberry PI 4 support
New webradios facility
New Volumio3 UI
New REST API facility
Enable USB Hotplug

still on holidays, sometime in Augustā€¦

Hi guys.

I have a odroid C2. I want to use it as a music car player. However, I have not bought a VU7 display yet and for a start I decided to check on my monitor asus ml249 via HDMI connection.
I installed 2 images in turn:
volumio-2.586-2019-06-04-odroidc2.img.zip
volumio-2.513-2018-12-07-odroidc2.img.zip
And the Touch Display plugin does not work in them. After installation, I activated it in the installed plugins. But after rebooting the OS, I get the same text mode. Can I provide a debug log to identify a problem?

Thank you