Orchard Audio ApplePI DAC review

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby orchardaudio » Mon Jul 30 2018 10:35

jonners wrote:I bought one of the early versions of this DAC that were sent out for review and I have to say I'm very happy with it. The production DACs provide the option of powering RPi and DAC either separately or with a single supply. Mine didn't give that option so initially I powered the combination with a single iFi iPower supply. I heard a very well-resolved ,spacious and detailed sound with firm bass and extended treble. The downside was that it was just a bit fatiguing to listen to on some material and front-to-back depth was a bit limited.
I then realised that I could power the RPi and DAC separately by stacking my IsolatorPi in between them. The combination of separate supplies and isolation definitely improved things to the point where I was preferring it to my current fave, the Terraberry DAC2. Adding the Allo Kali to the stack was the icing on the cake but of course the cost of that whole combination is then in Katana territory.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

In the future if you have a chance please also take a look at the ApplePi Volume-Clocker (https://orchardaudio.com/applepi) which adds HW volume control and re-clocking to the ApplePi DAC or to any other I2S DAC or Amplifier.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby aconst » Wed Aug 01 2018 09:36

orchardaudio wrote:
jonners wrote:... which adds HW volume control and re-clocking to the ApplePi DAC ...

Hi,
Can I use my Allo Kali reclocker for the ApplePi DAC?

Thanks!

Regards
Adrian
Random avatar
aconst
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Wed Aug 01 2018 17:42

aconst wrote:
orchardaudio wrote:
jonners wrote:... which adds HW volume control and re-clocking to the ApplePi DAC ...

Hi,
Can I use my Allo Kali reclocker for the ApplePi DAC?

Thanks!

Regards
Adrian

Yes you can use the Allo Kali with the ApplePi DAC, but that will not get you HW volume control like the Volume-Clocker
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby jonners » Wed Aug 01 2018 21:18

@orchardaudio

Can the HW volume of the Volume Clocker be controlled from the UI of Volumio, or only from the onboard pot?
RPi 2b // Terra-Berry DAC2 // Hypex UcD180 // Bi-amped OBs with Visaton B200, Goodmans 15", Neo3 tweeters.
jonners
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby orchardaudio » Wed Aug 01 2018 21:41

jonners wrote:@orchardaudio

Can the HW volume of the Volume Clocker be controlled from the UI of Volumio, or only from the onboard pot?

Only from onboard pot.
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby aconst » Thu Aug 02 2018 13:39

Can I use my 5V 3A stabilised power supply instead the required 5.25V?
Random avatar
aconst
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Thu Aug 02 2018 13:45

aconst wrote:Can I use my 5V 3A stabilised power supply instead the required 5.25V?

You can try it, as long as you are not powering more than just Pi, DAC and Volume-Clocker.

Biwiring the power will also help, with something like this:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3030
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Thu Aug 02 2018 13:47

Starting to get some feedback from kickstarter backers:
Kevin:
"ApplePi DAC is an excellent DAC. Compare to the Audio Note DAC 3 I have, it has much more detail."
orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby orchardaudio » Mon Aug 06 2018 13:44

orchardaudio
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby yannig27 » Mon Aug 06 2018 15:01

orchardaudio wrote:
Thank you very much for your feedback.

In the future if you have a chance please also take a look at the ApplePi Volume-Clocker (https://orchardaudio.com/applepi) which adds HW volume control and re-clocking to the ApplePi DAC or to any other I2S DAC or Amplifier.

A little question :
How did you make it "loosless" with any dac i2s? (from my many tests, the lossless subject is very important to my ears !)
But I have a very good attenuator in my amplifier, so, this point is not so important for me.

Perhaps I'll test it with Kali, and perhaps too without output opamps, and with a Sowter 1465 instead.
Output transformer dacs work very well in no-feedback amplifier systems, for my ears...

And for my experience, I think that the lack of " in PRaT" is more due of the use of opamps than a clocking issue.

best regards
yannig
Random avatar
yannig27
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to DACs