OLED + Piano 2.1 + Kali + Rapsberry 3 ?

Hi, I’ve finally put my Piano 2.1 / Kali / RPI combo into a small aluminium chassis with some nice RCA connectors. All looks and works really well but of course I cannot see the status light anymore.

So, my Q is : is it possible to attach a little OLED screen something like this one to the header pins on top of the Piano 2.1 (which is on top of the Kali) ? There is still some space in the front of the chassis I could put the screen.

adafruit.com/product/326

thanks all !

Looks very nice. I want to do something similar. Are you using Wifi - how does the signal get thru a shielded Faraday cage? How do you interact with the player?

Hi, I’m using Ethernet. Havn’t tried Wifi yet but you have a point :wink:

edit: just closed the box and here is the result with the wifi antenna inside. It seems to work.

added this low tech view into the box :smiley:

but to bump my Q, can anyone tell me if the Header J19 can be used to connect a small display ? thanks !

I think you really need to address that to question to ‘allo’, but I thought the header pins were for connection to a “volt”??

yes, but some of the pins are not used by the amp AFAIKS and could (maybe) be reprogrammed to work with the display. Doesn’t Allo read this forum from time to time ? :wink:

yes , can connect i2c based small display , use GND,VCC, SDA1-I2C , SCL1-I2C

hi, thanks.

Q1: Which pin. no. is SCL1-I2C on J19 ? and if I use I2s wont it interfere with the audio I2S signal ? Sorry, if this is a stupid Q.
Q2: How can I extract some useful information to display on the screen (assuming all drivers are installed) ?

thanks again.

1. i2c is different then i2s
  2. I am not sure how to use the oled screen or what type of drivers they have,Please check with manufacturer.

will do, thanks

success ! I got the Oled to display the demo file :smiley:

but now, how do I get it to show something useful like the current song for example :question:

any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: I have tried almost every suggestion on this forum but still cannot get mpdlcd to display song information…

Bump, please, I’m going crazy with this issue :cry:

If you just want to do something with your OLED, you could have a go with the spectrum analyser display code I uploaded yesterday

https://volumio.org/forum/oled-spectrum-display-volumio-raspberry-zero-t9267.html

thanks man ! I’ll give it a try :smiley:
greets

hi, i’m getting this output.

volumio@volumio:/$ sudo apt-get install git-core autoconf make libtool libfftw3-dev libasound2-dev libncursesw5-dev
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package make is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package autoconf
E: Package ‘make’ has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libtool
E: Unable to locate package libfftw3-dev
E: Unable to locate package libncursesw5-dev

If you run

sudo apt-get update

The package manager will then hopefully be able to find the packages (I’ll add this to the README).

In case it is not clear, run

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install git-core autoconf make libtool libfftw3-dev libasound2-dev libncursesw5-dev

@Allo, is there a RST pin on the J19 header ? Is it by any chance pin # 12 ? thanks

Hi Adrii, thanks, that worked. And the package is properly installed. But I think I’m having other issues with this Oled. Will report back ASAP.

This Oled only seems to work with the packages from Adafuit and lumina ASAIKS. I cannot get this thing to work with any other package like pydpiper or vol_oled (which also used Adafruit drivers I think).
It looks to me like some sort of initialisation problem… maybe due to the fact that the Oled is on the Piano2.1 header. More research needed.

image: running the stats.py script from Adafruit