NanoSound CD plugin

Discuss, contribute and orient Volumio development!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby nanomesher » Wed Feb 27 2019 16:01

After a few weeks of beta testing, our NanoSound CD plug-in is now ready released!

Features:

• Works with any Audio DAC or internal sound device supported by volumio
  • Works and tested with Raspberry Pi and Asus Tinker board (It should work with other volumio platforms, let us know if you have tested them)
  • CD Playback with up to 4x upsampling (44.1 to 176.4khz)
  • Choice of 4x, 2x and no upsampling for improved audio quality
  • Lossless WAV or FLAC audio extraction with AccurateRip support to ensure extracted files are bit perfect!
  • Auto download and tagging of album info
  • Multi-language support
  • Save to Internal, or NAS or USB drive
  • Fully integrated with Volumio

Follow instructions here to download and install: https://nanomesher.com/nanosound-cd-support/

The free version has all the playback functions with no upsampling. If you like it and would like to upgrade to upsampling and audio extraction features. Please consider upgrade to the full version https://nanomesher.com/nanosoundcd
nanomesher
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby Rees » Sun Mar 10 2019 04:01

Hi first of all thank you for sharing this plugin for free with the Volumio community. I tried it out and it works great the CDs play with no skipping and sounds great.

Since this is the first release I hope you are open to some feedback.
One question/comment is that with this plugin my CD drive spins at full speed which is quite fast and I can hear the drive over the music quite easily. I'm curious if this is my drive specifically or if others have experienced it. I know that geeks-r-us had implemented a speed setting in his CD player plugin so it may be possiblehere too.
Rees
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby Tschü » Sun Mar 10 2019 19:53

Dear Nanomesher,
I have problems with your CD plugin, version Feb 27th:
My setup: RPI 3B (no +), Hifiberry DAC plus standard, Volumio 2.555
Settings „IS2 DAC“ and „Hifiberry DAC plus“ are activated.
When I'm playing music from Internet radio or files from USB-stick the music comes through RCA to the amp and the sound is good. The Audio jack output is off.
When I'm playing music from CD the RCA output is off but the Audio jack output is working.
I have tested 3 different DVD-drives, all with separate USB power supply. All have the same phenomenon.
Any idea? With kind regards Tilmann
Random avatar
Tschü
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby nanomesher » Sat Apr 06 2019 15:46

HI, can you try the "Auto reconfig audio" function under NanoSound CD settings and then reboot. It should choose the right audio output.

If still not working, can you send us the output of these:

cat /etc/asound.conf
cat /proc/asound/modules
cat /proc/asound/cards
aplay -l

thanks

Tschü wrote:Dear Nanomesher,
I have problems with your CD plugin, version Feb 27th:
My setup: RPI 3B (no +), Hifiberry DAC plus standard, Volumio 2.555
Settings „IS2 DAC“ and „Hifiberry DAC plus“ are activated.
When I'm playing music from Internet radio or files from USB-stick the music comes through RCA to the amp and the sound is good. The Audio jack output is off.
When I'm playing music from CD the RCA output is off but the Audio jack output is working.
I have tested 3 different DVD-drives, all with separate USB power supply. All have the same phenomenon.
Any idea? With kind regards Tilmann
nanomesher
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby nanomesher » Sat Apr 06 2019 16:08

Hi , glad you like NanoSound CD! We don't notice the spinning issue in the driver that we use so far.

As a test, can you please try to run these commands to slow down before playing with NanoSound CD?

sudo apt-get install eject

eject -x 2 /dev/cdrom

let us know how it goes, thanks.

Rees wrote:Hi first of all thank you for sharing this plugin for free with the Volumio community. I tried it out and it works great the CDs play with no skipping and sounds great.

Since this is the first release I hope you are open to some feedback.
One question/comment is that with this plugin my CD drive spins at full speed which is quite fast and I can hear the drive over the music quite easily. I'm curious if this is my drive specifically or if others have experienced it. I know that geeks-r-us had implemented a speed setting in his CD player plugin so it may be possiblehere too.
nanomesher
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby Tschü » Sun Apr 07 2019 13:34

Dear Nanomesher,
thank you for your detailed reply. Most likely is was my fault. I changed the format extraction into “wav” and surprise - now it works properly. I have no idea why wrong format had that impact, but thank you for this excellent plugin. My next step is the test run of your full version.
With regards Tilmann
Random avatar
Tschü
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby nanomesher » Sun Apr 07 2019 15:37

Hi,

This is strange indeed. We suspect previous settings wasn't saved properly for some reason.

Glad it works now! thank you for the support.

Tschü wrote:Dear Nanomesher,
thank you for your detailed reply. Most likely is was my fault. I changed the format extraction into “wav” and surprise - now it works properly. I have no idea why wrong format had that impact, but thank you for this excellent plugin. My next step is the test run of your full version.
With regards Tilmann
nanomesher
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby hyaku » Fri Apr 12 2019 17:35

Hi,

I tried the plugin by using an Apple USB SuperDrive which didn’t work at all until I searched the internet to find out that it’s only working in Apple’s devices (so it's not nothing to do with the plugin). Thankfully I found a site which helped me to get the Apple CD drive working. The plugin seems to work BUT it’s missing an important feature (or I didn't find it). Is there any other way to get the CD ejected than running the eject command from the console? That's not very convenient as Apple USB SuperDrive doesn’t have any buttons at all, so there is no easy and simple way to eject the CD :) I’d be happily paying for the full version of the plugin but this is a feature I’d like to have. Is the eject function included in the Full version of the plugin? What would be also nice is to have the Apple USB SuperDrive "included" in the plugin, so whenever there's a need to reinstall the system, just installing the plugin you'd get the Apple CD drive working without any hassle.
hyaku
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby Josh2000 » Fri Apr 12 2019 20:11

Hi Hyako, Hi Nanomesher team,

I don't know what is required to be installed to use that special Apple drive. Maybe you can tell us a bit more what you had to do to get it running.

Anyway - i also would like to have an eject button as it shouldn't be too much effort to implement it.
Also a cancel button for the extraction process would be very helpful...

Best Regards
Josef
Josh2000
Audiophile
Audiophile

NanoSound CD plugin

Postby faro » Sun Apr 14 2019 00:23

Hi NanoSound devs,

I just installed your free plugin and it does work wonderfully. Thanks for your work!
I am using an LG usb drive called Slim Portable DVD Writer (Model GP65NB60).

For reducing install time, you may consider using the apt-get parameter --no-install-recommends as I feel some packages are not needed (i recall reading SANE libraries for example).

Thank you!
Random avatar
faro
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Next

Return to Development talks