MyVolumio AI Voice Assistant

The place where to discuss about MyVolumio features, find useful informations and express wishes on what you want it to be

Do you think that an Artificial Intelligence Voice Assistance will be cool on MyVolumio?

YES, go along and do it!
61%
NO, I can't bother less
39%

Total votes : 61

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby CloudConstable » Mon Feb 18 2019 08:29

We've released a free trial version AI Voice Assistant for alpha testing and validation. It is supported only on MS Windows for now. If you'd like to try it, you can download and install it from here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=141eDz ... N0PlWcVyyX

Simply uncompress the included files onto your Windows machine, then look for configuration instructions in the included README.txt. You'll need to set the IP address of a Volumio system that you'd like to control.

We've tested this with Spotify and a recent release of Volumio on RPi.
CloudConstable
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby CloudConstable » Sun Mar 31 2019 14:52

Almost a month and a half since our trial release and no feedback yet??!! Did anyone have a chance to try it?
CloudConstable
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby hetbeest » Sun Mar 31 2019 15:07

Try MS Windows? No thanks :lol:
Volumio 2, RaspberryPI 3, Hifiberry Digi+ transformer, Rotel RA-1570, B&W CM10S2
Random avatar
hetbeest
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby MaltaCode » Mon Apr 08 2019 11:42

I would love to be able to control Volumio with my Google home setup. Choose it as a playback device in the Google home app.

I do understand people are afraid of the 'always listening thing" but for me, I have nothing to hide 8-) and an option to turn it on/off would be very sufficient. Besides that, how great it is that at least someone is listening when we speak ;)
MaltaCode
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby nosfreatu » Tue Apr 16 2019 19:44

I tried to start the app on my windows10 pc, but it says, that the software is not compatble with my system.

Regards
Beat
Random avatar
nosfreatu
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby Chillman » Tue Apr 30 2019 16:38

Hey CloudConstable,

the programme opened and I could see Viola moving a bit. Sadly she did not react to my voice. I entered the correct IP address and tried the German server (n=2) and n=1. I also changed the wake word from "Viola" to "computer".

Windows' sound settings show me that my Microphone is working. However I'm not a MyVolumio user. Is this necessary?

Best regards
Chillman

PS: I discovered this thread the day before yesterday and find it quite interesting. Will the goal be to run DjViola (without the animation) parallelly to Volumio on a Pi or would that be too much for the little machine?
Random avatar
Chillman
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby jamesmith0246 » Tue Jan 28 2020 10:03

Thanks for sharing!
michelangelo wrote:Thank you guys for the very constructive replies, that's exactly the kind of debate I was hoping for.
I'll set up a short "tag cloud" of all the points coming up in the discussion in the first post so we have an handy sum of this brainstorming.

Personally, I really want to understand if our community thinks an AI Assistant will be good or not for Volumio before committing the time and effort to make it happen. And if yes, what should it do and to which extent.

I was expecting the privacy topic (as some pointed out, this is our day and age most frightening issue) and couldn't agree more with that. I have myself a lot of Voice assistant gadgets (Amazon echo and similia) and just can't keep them turned on knowing they listen to everything I say.

The idea (at least the early ideas I have on my mind) is to have a voice button on the UI (therefore user selectable and not always on) to perform voice operated commands and queries.

The rationale here is that for some complex actions and queries, voice commands can be more handy and quick than touchscreens and keyboard. However, I admit that this alone is not a point strong enough to make it happen.

Appreciate also the suggestion of integrating existing voice assistants such as google and amazon's rather than having our own. From a technical standpoint now that we have MyVolumio that will be fairly trivial (it won't be possible with ordinary Volumio for mere networking reasons). However, with those services we could not get more than play this or search for that.

Don't forget that Voice control is not the real deal here: there's a powerful AI component and this is the hot topic. CloudConstable is using IBM Watson's AI tech (basically the state of the art of AI as of now).

This means that we have a chance here to do something tailored to what we think is going to be cool for our music consumption habits with the help of AI. It means to be able to do something that ordinary voice assistant can't do, and do it in a way dedicated to music discovery and listening.

Thing is, as of now the only cool idea I had was "Search me this album of this artist of this year", and this is probably not enough, so let's see if we have some more ideas on the topic (aka what AI + Voice commands can be good for in our use case).
Random avatar
jamesmith0246
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby Darmur » Fri May 15 2020 19:30

Why on Windows and not directly on RPi running Volumio?
Darmur
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Previous

Return to MyVolumio Talks