Mid range DAC for my Pi...

Hi All,

I was so disappointed in my HiFi berry I sold it. My AV Amp has a reasonable DAC in it so HDMI was actually better.
HDMI however caused problems as there was no video signal and my AMP was getting confused… so I switched to a JustBoom Digi… which works great.
All change now though as I’m now using my stereo amp for music, not the AV… So I need a good budget(ish) DAC

I’m considering:

HifiBerry DAC pro (although the standard one left me cold)
or
Allo Boss (seems to be all about that bass?)
or
Something else less than £100 but better than the HiFiBerry standard one…

Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi Utterchaos23,

I’m very satisfied with the AroioDAC that i found recently. Sounds better than the HB+pro.
https://forum.volumio.org/aroiodac-t12182.html

Best Regards
Josef

Thanks Josef, looks interesting.

Odd that the HB doesn’t seem to advertise its clocks anywhere…

Edit: seen the one I had used the Pi’s clock… that can’t be good!!

Any other suggestions?

I’d consider Khadas Tone Board. Price is little above 100$ but it’s supposed (didn’t hear it myself!) to be a different class.

You could try Mamboberry (volumio-soundcheck-invitation-for-hamburg-germany-t5918.html),

Chris M

Khadas tone board i do recommend doing a great job with tidal master
2019-04-12 11.41.42.jpg

Hi TeCo and Slartibartfast (great name)

Tone board looks good but it is a hat?.. looks to be USB only?

Thanks

Hi,

I would recommend Allo Boss.

If you want more, take a look at Allo Piano 2.1 with Allo Reclocker.
As an alternative, take a look at some ES9038Q2M boards (e.g. Khadas, Audiophonics or X20)

Hybrid DACs with tube amplification stage are also interesting but rather exotic.

If you want more, you need to go towards Katana or a DAC with proper analogue amplification stage (the part after the DAC chip). Only focusing on the DAC chips will not bring you further because is is only a part of the “story”. The other parts are the power supply and the analogue amplification stage.

Before changing the DAC I would really try to use a linear power supply (toroidal). The power supply has a real effect on what you hear. Do not use multiple power supply: just use one good and enjoy the differences.

In my opinion, all Raspberry Pi I2S DACs are in the midrange. Sometimes maybe not the DAC is the problem, but the synergy in your audio chain.

I would really take a look also to some USB DACs (iFi, Dragonfly, Chord etc.).
Yes - I know that the RPi USB ports have not the cleanest signal, but we talk about midrange and the best bang for the bucks.

Best regards
Adrian

Hello, as a result of my long research I decided on the khadas dac hat not pure usb sound card is actually the power and signal usb power because the linear power source did not affect much sound nice as well as almost any device with USB output can be connected to the device in the test done in most forums

devices I used earlier
Allo boss v1.2
Allo piano 2 + reclocker

1 Like

Is the sound of the Khadas Tone Board so much better than the Allo Piano 2.1 + reclocker?

1 Like

khadas in my own ear tests on my system felt more natural and wider than natural

Screenshot_2019-04-24-09-11-50.jpg
Screenshot_2019-04-24-09-11-32.jpg

Screenshot_2019-04-24-09-11-50.jpg
20190415_203212.jpg