Mass "shuffle" button

One of my favorite features of Plex is the shuffle button that displays on the main page. Oftentimes, I don’t know exactly what I want to hear. So I hit the shuffle button on the main page, and it just randomly picks stuff from my massive library.

Is there any way to create this feature in Volumio? As far as I can tell, the only way to really do a “shuffle” playlist is to actually select the songs I want first (by album, artist, whatever), then hit the shuffle button. That’s OK, but I have thousands and thousands of songs in my library–making aplaylist of that seems like it would take hours, if not days. Plus, what happens each time I add more songs to my library?

Anyway, just a killer feature I’d love to have. Overall, I like Volumio a lot, and think it does a lot of things right. Thanks for the hard work so far.

3 Likes

Massive +1 from me for this

Last time I looked you can’t do it with the music libray, but you can do it with a playlist.
So what I do is make a playlist that includes the whole music library “All Music”, then you can play that playlist with shuffle on.

How do you add all music to a playlist?

Go to the root of your music library in the Music Library view.
Mine is USB, MUSIC
Click the three dot menu beside MUSIC
Add to playlist, name it All Music (or whatever you like), New
Hey presto.

2 Likes

This works, but takes forever and makes the UI super slow, and you can’t see the queue.

I don’t get why, other free players can index the same library without problem and shuffle it without getting bogged down.

1 Like

I have the same problem. I love shuffle feature (either song shuffle or album shuffle, namely to choose a single album in my collection and play it entirely) but Volumio doesn’t have it.
My collection of albums are on a Plex server on my NAS and I play it also with my smartphone using an app called Yatse. Yatse has a funcion to cast the music on a Chromecast, for example, but also on Volumio! So, I use the shuffle feature on the phone, than send the command to Volumio and the game is done. It works perfectly. You can use Yatse as the standard Volumio player, instead of using the browser interface.
Just to be clear: Volumio works exactly as if you press play on the standard web interface.

There is now a new plug-in that does this. And it works great, you need to install it, and go into setting and launch either song, album or genre I believe random from there.

1 Like