[Proposal] Localized forum sections

Here you can find all important communications from Volumio's staff

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby michelangelo » Wed Feb 14 2018 21:15

This post here gave me an idea:
sezione-italiana-t9001.html

For non-italians: why don't we have italian section?

And therefore, why not a french, german etc?

What do you guys think?

My idea is, let's have a section for each language, but there must be at least one moderator willing to moderate it before it gets opened

Let me know

LIST OF LANGUAGES AND PROPOSED MODS
Italian: burghy
michelangelo
Founder

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Re: [Proposal] Localized forum sections

Postby burghy » Wed Feb 14 2018 23:24

for the Italian section I can help in moderation

why the official site are only english?
Random avatar
burghy
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Re: [Proposal] Localized forum sections

Postby michelangelo » Thu Feb 15 2018 01:24

Because we can reach the most people possible, managing a localized website is too much for our resources
michelangelo
Founder

Postby danielfelix » Thu Feb 15 2018 01:36

Y en español???
Daniel
RaspberryPi3 + Allo Boos DAC + Amp. Kenwood KA-400 + Focal Chorus 726 + Turntable Dual 504 + Cartdrige Shure M91E + Linear Power Unit DIY
danielfelix
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby michelangelo » Thu Feb 15 2018 02:34

Claro! If you propose yourself as moderator
michelangelo
Founder

Postby chsims1 » Thu Feb 15 2018 07:55

I think this is a good idea because people, of course, prefer to communicate in their native language, and that is fair enough. My only concern is that useful information/help/issues may be missed and are not available for searching. Could the localised section mods be responsible for ensuring that important posts are flagged up or reposted in the English section?
New to Volumio? Please read the Quick Start Guide to get your system up and running :). FAQs? PM me if you want one adding.
chsims1

Postby michelangelo » Thu Feb 15 2018 10:37

chsims1 wrote:I think this is a good idea because people, of course, prefer to communicate in their native language, and that is fair enough. My only concern is that useful information/help/issues may be missed and are not available for searching. Could the localised section mods be responsible for ensuring that important posts are flagged up or reposted in the English section?

That's also my concern, and I agree that such mods should take care of reposting useful info
michelangelo
Founder

Postby balbuze » Thu Feb 15 2018 11:28

Even if I have a doubt of how info will be treated between different languages, of course I'm here for the French version.
I was wondering if something like a integrated (provide by a Google or other) translater a option rather than splitting all the knowledges.
balbuze

Postby chrisrm9208 » Thu Feb 15 2018 13:42

I'm afraid that I think this is not so good an idea from a practical viewpoint. I agree wholeheartedly that everyone prefers to communicate in their native language, and that's the problem I see. Where do you stop? The individual sections can become unused and then die,or develop their own personalities to split away from the parent, or divert attention from the main area of the product. I look after an IT function for an American multinational across EMEA and APac, and that's about 110 countries. We don't split our attention by localising stuff, else we'd never get anything done, including catching up with each locale's changes. I see much scope for losing focus this way...

Chris M
Random avatar
chrisrm9208
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby Robert.Hecht » Thu Feb 15 2018 14:06

Hi,

my 2 cents: I can see and understand the desire of communicating in my native language. Nevertheless I think english is the language that most of the users here can understand. No one will be blamed for bad spelling or grammar. So anyone should be able to ask for help in english. In fact I fear that moderators here will be overstrained beeing responsible for moderating _and_ translating and reposting "relevant information" - that is a very subjective perspective anyway. What is relevant for one is completely boring for another...

If a translating engine should be considered to be inserted in the workflow then let's probably think about translating the incoming text from whatever into english. That would keep the forum in one language and make searching much easier.

Chears,
Robert
audio ergo sum : x86 =(HDMI)=> NAD C510 => Trends Audio TA-10.2 => Dali Zensor 1 + Sub E-9 F
Robert.Hecht
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Next

Return to Staff comunications