Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Polls, free discussions and debates. Talk now or shut up forever

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby michaelrules » Fri Jul 28 2017 15:16

Hey everybody I am looking for a laptop that I can take to college. I will be running local servers and code editors most of the time. I would also like something that can handle music production. My budget is $800 and if required i can increase it up to $50 more.
Random avatar
michaelrules
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 28 2017 10:52

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby justinbakers007 » Fri Jul 28 2017 15:45

I would suggest you to get a laptop that fulfils your main requirement first and then the secondary ones. It seems like your main requirement is computer programming?
If yes, get something that has at least 8GB of RAM and also buy a laptop with SSD storage. SSD will affect performance a lot. Also, look for multi-core processor in your laptop.
Random avatar
justinbakers007
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 28 2017 10:49


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby michaelrules » Fri Jul 28 2017 15:49

justinbakers007 wrote:I would suggest you to get a laptop that fulfils your main requirement first and then the secondary ones. It seems like your main requirement is computer programming?
If yes, get something that has at least 8GB of RAM and also buy a laptop with SSD storage. SSD will affect performance a lot. Also, look for multi-core processor in your laptop.

Thanks for the immediate reply justin. Yes my main requirement is computer programming and I will definitely look for these specs in a laptop but my question to you is will it hold up to music production software as well?
Music producing is also something that I do more often and I spend most of my weekends mixing tunes.
Random avatar
michaelrules
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 28 2017 10:52


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby justinbakers007 » Fri Jul 28 2017 16:21

michaelrules wrote:
justinbakers007 wrote:I would suggest you to get a laptop that fulfils your main requirement first and then the secondary ones. It seems like your main requirement is computer programming?
If yes, get something that has at least 8GB of RAM and also buy a laptop with SSD storage. SSD will affect performance a lot. Also, look for multi-core processor in your laptop.

Thanks for the immediate reply justin. Yes my main requirement is computer programming and I will definitely look for these specs in a laptop but my question to you is will it hold up to music production software as well?
Music producing is also something that I do more often and I spend most of my weekends mixing tunes.

Yes, a laptop with multi-core processor and 8GB RAM will handle your music producing and computer programming requirements without any problem. Just to make sure that your new purchased laptop is all rounder, I would also insist you to look for dedicated GPU in your laptop. That would ensure that both your requirements will be fulfilled.
I have found these 2 lists on affordable gaming laptops and laptops for programming which I think will help you to make an informed purchase. I am saying you to have a look at gaming laptops because they will have good overall hardware which will be beneficial for programming and making music both.
Random avatar
justinbakers007
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 28 2017 10:49


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby michaelrules » Fri Jul 28 2017 19:21

Thanks justin. I will have a look at those lists. What do you think about this Dell - http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/dncwf513s I have a coupon through which I am getting extra $50 discount on this one. Will it be good for me?
Random avatar
michaelrules
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 28 2017 10:52


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby michaelrules » Fri Jul 28 2017 19:47

michaelrules wrote:Thanks justin. I will have a look at those lists. What do you think about this Dell - http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/dncwf513s I have a coupon through which I am getting extra $50 discount on this one. Will it be good for me?

yeah looks good. I think it would be good for your requirements.
Random avatar
michaelrules
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 28 2017 10:52


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby asddsa » Sat Jul 29 2017 07:41

You can't have too much CPU power and RAM when setting up a developer environment. Keep in mind you might need to run virtual machines for testing, run debugging, etc.

I'd go for a used one, i.e. Lenovo W-Series, like this one (didn't really check the details, quick search only): Lenovo Thinkpad W530 Laptop Quad Core i7 2.70GHZ 24GB. Add a new Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD and you're good to go.

If you need extra space, put the HDD you replaced with the SSD in a Ultrabay SATA 2nd Hdd Hard Drive Caddy Module (check model compatibility first).

Also the ThinkPad Series has usually pretty good Linux compatibility, in case you want to swtich the OS.

The T- and W- Series are enterprise grade and you can expect them to run for years... plus, if ever needed, almost all replacement parts are also available... like 57Wh Genuine Original Battery or New 9 Cell Battery For Lenovo
Random avatar
asddsa
Serious Listener
Serious Listener
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jun 26 2017 18:45


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby martin651 » Sat Feb 17 2018 06:14

I think ASUS M580VD-EB54 VivoBook would be perfect for you as it comes with i7 processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics, 256GB SSD. You can look for more recommendations about best programming laptops and best music production laptops
Random avatar
martin651
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 17 2018 06:06


Laptop Recommendation for Programming & Music production

Postby Herlon » Fri Aug 09 2019 12:32

850$ and you ask here for a laptop? I don't have this money but I can afford a good laptop. There are good laptops under 600$, like the ones reviewed by TECHNOXY. I never had enough money, even now I don't have but I needed a laptop to increase my grades, without it the student life is a nightmare. So I had to loan money and I don't regret it. Like they say "The one that has the information, has the power" - this refers to students more than anyone else.
Random avatar
Herlon
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 30 2018 18:11


Return to Vox Populi

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests