Khadas Tone Board

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Khadas Tone Board

Postby angelo.b » Sat Mar 02 2019 08:21

I did a lot of tests. Formed flac sounds good up to resempling 384 khz. Formed dsd native distortion and sounds good only up to resempling 352.8 khz.mi seems like a limitation .from what can it depend?
Random avatar
angelo.b
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Khadas Tone Board

Postby Berry » Mon Mar 04 2019 11:45

angelo.b wrote:I did a lot of tests. Formed flac sounds good up to resempling 384 khz. Formed dsd native distortion and sounds good only up to resempling 352.8 khz.mi seems like a limitation .from what can it depend?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi ... ent-931548

switched from VolumIO to moodeaudio.org, its perfect!!
Random avatar
Berry
Audiophile
Audiophile

Khadas Tone Board

Postby UffeSW » Thu Mar 07 2019 17:21

Hi, may I ask the user Berry what settings he used to play music upsampled to 768 khz - 32 bit. I have asked on the khadas tone board forum why I can not play music at that resolution without severe distortion. So far they claim the tone board only supports 384 khz sample rate. I suspekt that is not true but somehow got broken with the new firmware, my version is v6.F2. Can you confirm this or am I just speculating.
Random avatar
UffeSW
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Khadas Tone Board

Postby koozoop » Sat Mar 09 2019 07:21

Hi. I got the tone board yesterday. I'm only having problems with it as I posted at the khadas forum: https://forum.khadas.com/t/hardware-vol ... ?u=koozoop

Even with no mixer volume I have very-very low volume output. Firmware is 6f2.
koozoop
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Khadas Tone Board

Postby koozoop » Sun Mar 10 2019 17:10

UPDATE: https://forum.khadas.com/t/hardware-vol ... ?u=koozoop

I had to fresh install Volumio 2.555. Maybe something broke up after updating to 2.555 from previous version.
koozoop
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Khadas Tone Board

Postby angelo.b » Mon Mar 11 2019 21:17

I tested with spdif input.
with resampling at 192 k sounds better than with usb. they are much cleaner. besides the brutefir plugin works great. according to me the raspberry is a bit limited. better i2s for it.
Random avatar
angelo.b
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Khadas Tone Board

Postby angelo.b » Wed Mar 13 2019 18:41

have updated the firmware. now it works great even with usb.
and brutefir no longer creates noise.
Random avatar
angelo.b
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Khadas Tone Board

Postby angelo.b » Thu Mar 14 2019 19:49

I am devoting many hours to this card because it is fascinating. I could see that in spdif the sound is more detailed and crystal clear than usb. listening in headphones for the moment. It would be nice to be able to make it work with i2s.I looked for a little interface i2s on raspberry but I'm not sure to try.
anyone succeeded
Random avatar
angelo.b
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Khadas Tone Board

Postby Lucaxxaa » Sat Apr 13 2019 07:20

..then any other opinion about sound quality of this dac ?
When it use spdif, how it take power ?
Random avatar
Lucaxxaa
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Khadas Tone Board

Postby Rees » Sun Apr 14 2019 03:35

I just got the Tone Board generic version this week and I have to say it completely blows away the Allo Boss DAC (original version) that I was using for the past year.
For my system and room at least the Boss had way too much bass, so I think the biggest improvement is just having a more balanced sound.

I would definitely recommend it to anybody looking for a good priced DAC and I was happy to see that Digi-Key now stocks them in Canada and the USA. Now I just need to find or make a case for the board...

I see that Khadas now lists Volumio as one of their new distributors so I suspect we'll hear something soon here too.
Rees
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to DACs