Katana Dac by allo

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Katana Dac by allo

Postby allo » Sun Nov 25 2018 08:37

michelangelo wrote:Katana still offers the most detailed presentation I was ever to witness from a DAC. Praat is still fantastic. The lower end still is great (maybe even better in this revision).

It seems then from my initial impressions that Allo managed to solve the fatiguing issue without compromising on other aspects like detail and Praat. Still, the level of detail (personal opinion here) might sometime feel still too much. I still have some sort of mixed feeling about that. Before Katana, I thought to be the kind of Audiophile which likes a high level of details. Now I am not so sure.
I have the strong feeling that this will mainly suit the tastes Audiophiles with a strong preference for hyper-detail, while it might disappoint those who do not.

I will share further impressions in a future update.

Hi Michelangelo ,

first thx you for taking the time and reviewing the Katana V1.2.

A few point to clarify.

Katana v1.2 was designed with 2 PSUs only in mind. Of course , having multiple PSUs might (will) push the sound even further , but most reviewers, including Michelangelo, tested the V1.2 with 2 PSUs only, one for RPI and one for Katana stack (versus 3 PSUs on first Katana)

Isolator will keep the same PSUs count. 2 only. No drivers , no complexity. As many of you have found , isolation betwen SBC and DAC results in a deeper blacker background. However if your speakers/amp are not very good, it might not be required (but can be added at any time)

Fatiguing sound , was in fact traced back to the fact that opamp rails were oscillating when music was playing (on a fixed load there was no oscillation). Bu using a few capacitors (audio grade) the oscillation was nullified . No noise detected with our test equipment. So to be clear , fatiguing sound was fixed and tested.

At last, respectfully , I have to disagree with Michelangelo on the "hyper detail" and audiophile preferences .DACs do not create details. A DAC should be transparent to the music recorded ( music has all the details present) . Katana v1.2 is very transparent , it will serve you what was recorded. If you want a DAC that masks some of the details.. hold on , why would anyone want that ?? Why veil the music ..

A string is pinched, a cymbal decaying , raspy voice at the end of a track...all details.

Katana will deliver them. Music as it was recorded.

Hopefully you guys will like it.
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Katana Dac by allo

Postby User_98 » Mon Nov 26 2018 01:19

Dear allo,
could you please tell us if we can use both outputs at the same time, Cinch and XLR?
Random avatar
User_98
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Katana Dac by allo

Postby allo » Mon Nov 26 2018 09:24

RCA and XLR can we used in same time.
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

Katana Dac by allo

Postby aconst » Mon Dec 03 2018 09:14

Dear Allo,
dear all,

Do you know if we have the chance in the future to get a stand-alone Katana equivalent with classic inputs (USB, coax etc.)?

Thanks for your help (and opinions)!

Best regards from Munich
Adrian
Random avatar
aconst
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Katana Dac by allo

Postby allo » Tue Dec 04 2018 08:10

Stay tuned..
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

Katana Dac by allo

Postby sp33ls » Thu Jan 24 2019 16:29

Hey there,

I'm a Katana customer and it sounds great!

I was wondering if you had any updates on the Nirvana? I have yet to upgrade to a LPS and was shopping around. I couldn't find any recent updates on Nirvana from you. Is it still in development?

Thanks!
Random avatar
sp33ls
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Katana Dac by allo

Postby SanjeevM » Thu Jan 24 2019 16:51

Hi
sp33ls wrote:Hey there,

I was wondering if you had any updates on the Nirvana? I have yet to upgrade to a LPS and was shopping around. I couldn't find any recent updates on Nirvana from you. Is it still in development?

Thanks!

Can you please tell me which version of the output board are you using, the "Sound Quality" one or the THD one?

Thanks !
RPi3B / Boss DAC 1.2 on Linear PSU / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Katana Dac by allo

Postby sp33ls » Thu Jan 24 2019 17:50

SanjeevM wrote:
Can you please tell me which version of the output board are you using, the "Sound Quality" one or the THD one?

Currently using the Sound Quality output board. I actually have not yet tried the THD one... I'm quite satisfied with the Sound Quality board so far :)
Random avatar
sp33ls
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Katana Dac by allo

Postby allo » Fri Jan 25 2019 08:17

sp33ls wrote:Hey there,

Thanks!

Yes we should have some news in 1-2 weeks
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

Katana Dac by allo

Postby marudo » Sun Jan 27 2019 18:12

sp33ls wrote:
SanjeevM wrote:

Currently using the Sound Quality output board. I actually have not yet tried the THD one... I'm quite satisfied with the Sound Quality board so far :)
Attachments
LPS.PNG
LPS
LPS.PNG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 379 times
-=SMurf=-
marudo
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to DACs