Kali Lock/Empty toggle ?

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Kali Lock/Empty toggle ?

Postby pbisiac » Mon Mar 04 2019 17:43

Hi, I am trying to make my PI3+Volumio (2.555) work with a dual-mono PCM1794A DAC + KALI. My first problem is, no matter the DAC type I select in configuration pages, my Kali continuously flips Lock/Empty LED. If I change bitrate/bit depth Kali LEDs change accordingly. In this situation my converter doesn't work (I guess it's correct, it hat to be feed with a continuous bit stream).
I have tried with

#dtoverlay=rpi-dac
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
#dtoverlay=applepi-dac
#dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio

Is there any configuration trick/kernel/driver patch I need to apply in order to have my Kali correctly interfaced with Volumio ?
Thanks,
pbisiac
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Re: Kali Lock/Empty toggle ?

Postby Ernesternest » Mon Mar 04 2019 19:41

I assume, this is no Hat Dac, so probably a kind of generic i2s dac that does split the signal itself for both the DAC chips.
If so I would try a generic Dac configuration from the list.

Hm this is my only idea so far.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk
Random avatar
Ernesternest
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Kali Lock/Empty toggle ?

Postby pbisiac » Tue Mar 05 2019 06:03

Yes, you're right, hw is quite identical to Dual-Mono DAC (http://www.tjaekel.com/T-DAC/raspi_dual.html). When you select "generic I2S DAC" from Volumio configuration, it takes HiFiBerry parameter (which I tried in the first place) as you can desume from days.json file

"id":"generic-dac","name":"Generic I2S DAC","overlay":"hifiberry-dac","alsanum":"1","mixer":"","modules":"","script":"","needsreboot":"yes"

Still stucked and trying...

Addendum
If I select "resample to 192KHz" option, my Kali switches to 192(LED lights on), and toggle between EMPTY/LOCK LEDs goes faster...indeed they are trying to communicate..... :roll:
pbisiac
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby michel8166 » Tue Mar 05 2019 08:38

maybe you should put it on R-PI DAC because the same problem (audio gd nfb1 2015) occurs with me. it is always worth a try.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk
raspberry pi 3b - allo isolator - kali reclocker, raspberry pi official 7-inch touch screen, Heed luna pre + Q-psu power supply, Sphinx project twelve mono blocks, Audio-GD NFB-1 (2015 ) Balanced Sabre Dac, Spendor Sp7/1 loudspeakers
michel8166
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby pbisiac » Tue Mar 05 2019 11:05

Hi, I tried many devices, including rpi-dac, unfortunately with no luck

If I play a wav with aplay, I see a quick blink of "FULL" LED, then LOCK LED switches off and EMPTY LED on...again and again
mmmmh.....

michel8166 wrote:maybe you should put it on R-PI DAC because the same problem (audio gd nfb1 2015) occurs with me. it is always worth a try.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk
pbisiac
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Kali Lock/Empty toggle ?

Postby pbisiac » Tue Mar 05 2019 11:45

Anyway, brand of DAC connected downstream of KALI should not be important as long as data communication is unidirectional (KALI->DAC) ?
pbisiac
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby Ernesternest » Tue Mar 05 2019 14:06

Another idea: In my eyes one has to select a slave Dac, like Allo Piano. In this case RPI does not expect clocking signal, as it does with master Dacs. Yes, I would try Allo Piano setup.

Cheers

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk
Random avatar
Ernesternest
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Kali Lock/Empty toggle ?

Postby pbisiac » Tue Mar 05 2019 14:30

SOLVED: rpi-dac + disable analog audio did the trick. Thank you for hints.
pbisiac
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Return to DACs