Inexpensive dac hat for rip 3 or 3+

New to the Dec hat world. I don’t need audiophile quality, but just a decent Dec hat that will work on the 3 or 3+

Thanks in advance.

Hi datacom1,

This one (PIFI-DAC) doesn’t sound too bad and has hardware volume control.
Choose “HiFiBerry DAC Plus” in Volumio settings:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/PCM5122-DAC-HIFI-DAC-Audio-Sound-Card-Module-I2S-interface-for-Raspberry-pi/311930427405?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This one (RPI-HIFI-DAC) sounds fantastic, has it’s own crystals, hardware volume control.
Choose “Allo Boss” in Volumio settings.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1x-New-RPI-HIFI-DAC-PCM5122-HIFI-DAC-Audio-Card-Expansion-Board-for-Raspberry-Pi/183163518851?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Wiki:
http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/RPI_HIFI_DAC

• Josef

I would just like to remind that all the DACs we have on sale on the Volumio shop are just great quality\price items (we selected them on this principle).
volumio.org/shop

Also, if you like Volumio, getting a DAC from Volumio shop is a good way to provide funds for the project :wink:

I can attest to what Michelangelo said. I first got a Nanosound DAC (from a Hong Kong company) then upgraded Terra-berry DAC2 (from a Japanese company) via the Volumio shop. Both sound great, and the latter plays DSD files. It’s a great selection that Volumio curated for the community. Kudos to the Volumio team.

John

My ALLO Boss dac is superb and more than I can ‘hear’ with my old lugs :smiley:

Hi Michelangelo (and all other followers of this thread),

I basically also recommend the Volumio shop - i ordered my Nanosound module there.
It is just so that i’m very interested in testing every supported (or even not really / not yet supported) DAC i’m able to afford - and therefore i have to also look at other sources.

Datacom1 explicitely asked for a “small budget” solution. As i’m also “small budgeted” i just wanted to help here but you are completely right we should consider to support you by first having a look at the Volumio Shop - the prices are really fair.

Anyway i want to mention - maybe i simply did not understand - donations can be made via Patreon, which is a recurring payment on a monthly basis.
Being also a “small budget guy” i don’t like recurring fees - so i would like to know a way how to donate one time shots if my monthly budget allows to.
Unfortunately i do not have (and also don’t like) PayPal - but i do have a VISA credit card. Is it possible ? I will donate, i really appreciate your work.

I also began testing Volumio by using a cheap DAC - getting more and more exited i bought other (better) ones.

In conclusion - for everyone like me:
1.) Have a look in the Volumio Shop
2.) If you buy elsewhere - consider to donate.

And ! - as an electronics engineer i have to mention that the “low budget” DACs usually are based on “lower quality” components and “lower experienced engineering”. So if you have some bucks in the pocket - go to Volumio Shop !!!

Josef

Hi Datacom1,

Here is a little contribution form my side.
I have designed my own DAC, because i wanted to create a simple alternative to the often used PCM5122 family of DAC’s.
Fist of all i have tried a few DAC’s. I have tried the PCM5122 and i do like it. I have tried the ES9023 and in my system it sounded dull and boring.
So i started to search for an old school DAC, and i have found the AD1859 DAC. This is one of the few DAC’s that can work without the Master Clock. It uses it’s own crystal oscillator and PLL and it is able to reduce the imcoming jitter from the Raspberry Pi.
I designed 2 separate low noise voltage regulators, one for the digital part of the DAC, one for the analogue part of the DAC.
It has a 3.5mm output connector to keep the DAC flat to support shipping in a small box that fits a letter box opening. That keeps shipping low and you don’t have to be at home for delivery.
I have sold a couple of them on the Dutch market and with what is left over, i support our local brass band. This is my contribution to music.
It sounds wonderful. Simple and beautiful. It has no volume control, as i believe you should change gain later in the audio chain, not in de DAC. Connect a decent audio ampliffier to it and enjoy your digital music and internet radio. And to answer your request: it’s cheap.
Best regards from the Netherlands, Paul Prinz
MaudBerryV20.jpg

@prinz, looks nice, and the AD1859 seems useful for a Delta-Sigma, but… are there drivers within Raspbian/Debian for it? Could Volumio make use of the board?

Chris M

Hi Chris and all the others,

I am a hardware guy, not a software guy. That’s one of the reasons that i am so happy with Volumio. I do not have to fiddle anything.
So to answer your question:

generic dac.jpg

This AD1859 works very fine with Volumio, no drivers or anything, just generic i2s works fine as seen on the picture.

One of my collegues at work started today soldering one together as he wanted to see if he could manage… I am sure this will work. He is using a rapberry pi 3 and Volumio, maybe i should update you on his results.

Cheers for now,
Paul Prinz